• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Posting package ahead

Brodie

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 Frances
Hi,
I appreciate this may be covered elsewhere on the forum and I would be obliged if anyone could point me in the direction of information or give me good advice. This September I am beginning my walk in Le Puy en Velay and hope to get to Santiago Compostela by late October. I live in the UK and would like to be able to send a package ahead before I leave home to pick up half way in St Jean Pied de Port or Pamplona. What is the best way of doing this? Are there private storage places that will take mail packages or do the local post offices provide this service.
Thanks for any advice on this,
Brodie.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That may be a tough one because you are crossing country borders. Maybe take your package with you to Le Puy and mail it to yourself at your albergue in SJPDP? That way you are not crossing country borders. Arrange that in advance with your albergue in St. Jean. I have heard Ivar mention that sometimes things get hung up in customs when you mail things.

I tried to mail something to myself at a hotel in Spain this year and it didn't arrive. I didn't keep the tracking slip so somewhere someone has two nice rain ponchos and two nice silk liner bags...

That was only my experience. Others may have more successful stories...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That may be a tough one because you are crossing country borders. Maybe take your package with you to Le Puy and mail it to yourself at your albergue in SJPDP? That way you are not crossing country borders. Arrange that in advance with your albergue in St. Jean. I have heard Ivar mention that sometimes things get hung up in customs when you mail things.

I tried to mail something to myself at a hotel in Spain this year and it didn't arrive. I didn't keep the tracking slip so somewhere someone has two nice rain ponchos and two nice silk liner bags...

That was only my experience. Others may have more successful stories...
Thank you very much for getting back to me. The crossing country borders thing does seem to be an issue. I want to send stuff but I do not wish to loose things in customs.

Thanks for your advice. Its not stuff I can buy along the route. Daily contact lenses for example. I'm trying to keep pack weight down.
I always carry all our medical equipment and medications on my person even though my husband sometimes needs to ship a pack ahead daily. I carry the 2 CPAP's and all the meds for two old decrepit pilgrims myself. Also I keep my rain poncho and other possible gear needed with me. We put the clothes and things we could easily replace in Spain in his pack if we need to ship it...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for your advice. Its not stuff I can buy along the route. Daily contact lenses for example. I'm trying to keep pack weight down.
I had some blood pressure medication sent to a Spanish small local post office from UK a couple of years ago. It was very easy, very cheap and worked a treat.

There were some simple packaging guidelines.

Charges seems to relate to value of package. I don’t think I paid anything either at Royal Mail and certainly nothing on collection.

Hi,
I appreciate this may be covered elsewhere on the forum and I would be obliged if anyone could point me in the direction of information or give me good advice. This September I am beginning my walk in Le Puy en Velay and hope to get to Santiago Compostela by late October. I live in the UK and would like to be able to send a package ahead before I leave home to pick up half way in St Jean Pied de Port or Pamplona. What is the best way of doing this? Are there private storage places that will take mail packages or do the local post offices provide this service.
Thanks for any advice on this,
Brodie.
Just take in consideration the operating hours for pick up.

If you are flying into France, and then traveling by train to Le Puy, I recommend bringing the items already packed, but not sealed - in case some official is nosy.

Once you arrive in France, seek the first La Poste office near where you are. You can do this online., There is likely an app. IIRC La Poste even has offices in major airports.

Post the parcel to an accommodation you have pre-booked in Le Puy or SJPdP. Ask them BEFOREHAND if you can send a (describe box size) to them to hold for your arrival. I usually call them replenishment supplies.

I have always had success having an item shipped ahead to a hotel or hostal where I have a reservation. Even if your dates change, if you notify the place you booked and where the parcel is headed, they will certainly hold it for you.

In Spain, the Correos has an excellent Camino support system of various sized boxes, inexpensive shipping and storage at the destination.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you very much everyone for getting back to me on this. That's been some great advice. Much apreciated.
Brodie

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.