• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about using a travel agency

Time of past OR future Camino
September 29 - October 9, 2015
Hi,

My name is Leah - from Boston. I'm doing my first pilgrimage leaving Boston on September 27 and returning October 10. I'm doing Sarria to Santiago. My question is whether I'm paying too much for my trip. (also, this is my first email to the blog - thanks for being there!)

I've employed CaminoWays travel/pilgrimage program that I found online. I'm 68 and in not-great-physical-shape, so my requirements were an easy route and a single room every night. The arrangements I've contracted with them include: 9 nights hotel with single room, 9 breakfasts, 8 dinners, transport suitcase every day to the next hotel/sleeping accommodation, travel book with instructions.

I've made a $200 deposit - $1,300 due the end of the month: Total $1,500

Questions:
1. Any feedback on CaminoWays? My dealings have been very pleasant; they respond to my emails same day or next.
2. Any thoughts about the fees I'm paying?
3. I'm concerned that taking this approach will lessen my interactions with other pilgrims, but CaminoWays assures me that there will be plenty of pilgrims at the places I'll be staying.

I can provide more details on the towns and hotels they have me staying.

Thanks so much. This trip is very important for me. My thinking is that I don't mind paying a little more to know that there is support along the way to fall back on. From my online reading, I know I can do this trip more inexpensively - but I thought I'd throw the question out to the blog to see if folks have any suggestions/advice.

Excuse me, I have to go to the gym to work out.

Thanks for any feedback--

Leah

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If it is take or pay, what happens on Day 3 if you feel you need to quit?

You can research the route, buy a guidebook, and create a flexible plan that allows you to quite about every 5km, all without any financial penalty if you decide you are overmatched.

You will get peace of mind from a travel agency, but it will cost you!

Hi Leah,

I expect that others will reply telling you that you don't need to use an agency - which is true. However, if you are leaning towards this type of arrangement and you don't mind paying the mark-up then there's no reason why you shouldn't go ahead with it. It may give you the reassurance that you need on your first Camino.

Camino Ways is a well established firm and I know a lot of people who have used them.

One practical suggestion: if you decide to stick with Camino Ways, perhaps consider removing the daily dinners from your booking. This will give you much more flexibility each evening. You will probably meet people who you would like to have dinner with and they may be staying in other accommodations. This will also reduce your overall costs.

Buen Camino!

Nuala

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't have any information about Camino Ways. I also don't know your expectation on quality of hotel but here is what we paid from Sarria to Santiago just doing it on our own and staying in private rooms...

Sarria--Pension Albergue Barbacoa €29 for a twin for 2 people/shared bath. (It was ok but the same owners have one called Aqua (tel:346-209-88-251 ), which is the same price and much nicer.

Portomarin--Pension Manuel €25 for a twin private room with a shared private bath (basic and clean).

Palas de Rei--Arenas Palas €45 for a twin private room with a private bath (very nice). A single room with bath is €32.

Arzua--Pension Begona €45 for a twin with private bath (VERY NICE!).

Pedrouzo--Pension PR Una Estella Dorado €30 for a twin with a share bath (charming pension, included breakfast, bath was only shared with one other room)

Santiago--Hotel Carris Casa de la Troya about €80 for a double (Queen mattress) and a private room just steps from the Cathedral. Wonderful hotel!

Regarding meals--
We rarely ate at the pensions/albergues because it was usually just toast and coffee for €3-4. Normally we would walk to the next town and eat eggs or tortilla for €4. Some of the really fancy hotels have a buffet for about €10-12 but we only did that once or twice because it's a lot to eat and then walk.

Dinners are almost always Pilgrim menus or something similar off the menu. We rarely spent more than $12 per person for dinner, which included wine. A big splurge like lamb in Burgos was $60 for two of us.

There are pilgrims staying in all types of accommodations, including the fancy hotels. We had one friend along the way who had booked everything through a travel agency and he had mixed feelings. Overall he felt he paid too much and became a little angry that as a single he was getting the worst rooms in the hotels and paying a premium price. He said half the rooms were fantastic and the other half were average or below average.

I really don't think you will need any additional support along the way. It is fairly built up and there are many Piligrims from Sarria to Santiago. If you really needed help, there are hundreds of pilgrims, taxis and buses. Most people walking are not in good shape. We stayed in towns that had quite a few hotel/pension options.

Hi,

My name is Leah - from Boston. I'm doing my first pilgrimage leaving Boston on September 27 and returning October 10. I'm doing Sarria to Santiago. My question is whether I'm paying too much for my trip. (also, this is my first email to the blog - thanks for being there!)

I've employed CaminoWays travel/pilgrimage program that I found online. I'm 68 and in not-great-physical-shape, so my requirements were an easy route and a single room every night. The arrangements I've contracted with them include: 9 nights hotel with single room, 9 breakfasts, 8 dinners, transport suitcase every day to the next hotel/sleeping accommodation, travel book with instructions.

Questions:
1. Any feedback on CaminoWays? My dealings have been very pleasant; they respond to my emails same day or next.
3. I'm concerned that taking this approach will lessen my interactions with other pilgrims, but CaminoWays assures me that there will be plenty of pilgrims at the places I'll be staying.

Thanks so much. This trip is very important for me. My thinking is that I don't mind paying a little more to know that there is support along the way to fall back on. From my online reading, I know I can do this trip more inexpensively - but I thought I'd throw the question out to the blog to see if folks have any suggestions/advice.

Leah
Hello Leah, as Falcon already stated mabe you can do it yourself or a part of it and safe money. You can prebook a room yourself. You have make a dissising yourself. I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hi, Leah, You've gotten two different responses (so far!) and only you can decide which is right for you. My two cents ......

I met a couple last year who had just completed a Sarria to Santiago camino with Camino Ways and they were very enthusiastic about the efficiency of the baggage transfer services and the variety and charm of the accommodations arranged. The wife did say, though, that she had hoped she might lose a little weight on the pilgrimage, but the breakfasts and dinners included were so good she was afraid she might have actually gained weight! :p Just saying..... :D . For me personally, the idea of getting to chose a restaurant and maybe spending time with pilgrims we'd met -- or meeting new ones at the meal -- would sway me to drop the pre-arranged dinners.

When I first started reading this forum two years ago there was no question in my mind that we would use a service such as Camino Ways. I've gotten so much confidence from reading the experiences of others, and from following up with the references, guides, etc., that have been suggested, though, that we're going to go it on our own, but with private rooms booked a day in advance. And my husband says he's using the baggage transfers every day :) . So in our case, it's really not cost so much as flexibility.

However, if I were going by myself, as it sounds like you are, and since I've never done anything like this before, I think I would definitely be using an agent. Whatever you decide, buen camino!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Booking dot com is a good site to search places to stay And no need to book all rooms out...a night or two ahead is fine. You will find lots of Internet along this portion.
I think the travel company is charging a big up charge...just my opinion.

I don't have any information about Camino Ways. I also don't know your expectation on quality of hotel but here is what we paid from Sarria to Santiago just doing it on our own and staying in private rooms...

Sarria--Pension Albergue Barbacoa €29 for a twin for 2 people/shared bath. (It was ok but the same owners have one called Aqua (tel:346-209-88-251 ), which is the same price and much nicer.

Portomarin--Pension Manuel €25 for a twin private room with a shared private bath (basic and clean).

Palas de Rei--Arenas Palas €45 for a twin private room with a private bath (very nice). A single room with bath is €32.

Arzua--Pension Begona €45 for a twin with private bath (VERY NICE!).

Pedrouzo--Pension PR Una Estella Dorado €30 for a twin with a share bath (charming pension, included breakfast, bath was only shared with one other room)

Santiago--Hotel Carris Casa de la Troya about €80 for a double (Queen mattress) and a private room just steps from the Cathedral. Wonderful hotel!

Regarding meals--
We rarely ate at the pensions/albergues because it was usually just toast and coffee for €3-4. Normally we would walk to the next town and eat eggs or tortilla for €4. Some of the really fancy hotels have a buffet for about €10-12 but we only did that once or twice because it's a lot to eat and then walk.

Dinners are almost always Pilgrim menus or something similar off the menu. We rarely spent more than $12 per person for dinner, which included wine. A big splurge like lamb in Burgos was $60 for two of us.

There are pilgrims staying in all types of accommodations, including the fancy hotels. We had one friend along the way who had booked everything through a travel agency and he had mixed feelings. Overall he felt he paid too much and became a little angry that as a single he was getting the worst rooms in the hotels and paying a premium price. He said half the rooms were fantastic and the other half were average or below average.

I really don't think you will need any additional support along the way. It is fairly built up and there are many Piligrims from Sarria to Santiago. If you really needed help, there are hundreds of pilgrims, taxis and buses. Most people walking are not in good shape. We stayed in towns that had quite a few hotel/pension options.

Thank you, Bohemiana! I just made a copy of this for myself.:)

I take groups on the Camino and I have heard Camino Ways is a well established company with a good reputation.
Yes, you will pay more than if you do the trip on your own.
However, having booked and led groups for several years, it is a crazy amount of work to plan these trips, FIND lodging and make the reservations, book the bag transport and meals, all things you would have to do on your own.

I charge not much more than that for 22 nights -
BUT
booking the Sarria to Santiago section is more difficult as there are more people traveling, and thus more work.

Some people enjoy doing all that groundwork themselves.
Some don't and would rather pay to have someone do it for them.

To just be able to go... and have all these details worked out ahead for you - I think it's well worth whatever price you can afford to pay.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm just curious….can those who operate a business pertaining to the Camino, be active in the forum as a business?

I'm just curious….can those who operate a business pertaining to the Camino, be active in the forum as a business?
Forum Rule:

3) No commercial posts in the forum. As the Camino becomes more and more popular, there are more products and services related to the Camino. If you have one, please feel free to post it in our Camino Resources section. Post each product only one time, this will generate an automatic post in the Camino Resources forum making this the only forum for commercial posts. The one exception is Books posted in the resource section, they will have their automatic posts appear in the Camino Book section. If you do not find a category for your product/service, please contact @ivar .

All other commercial posts will be removed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Leah,
It will cost you more, but you will be getting good support by the sound of things. You will have peace of mind about your accommodation, and it sounds like your luggage will be well taken care of. I would be careful about getting rid of the planned meals, as you may be staying in rural areas with few other options. You can always share lunches with people you meet along the way.

I walked the Camino carrying all my luggage, just finding accommodation as I arrived. But I have recently enjoyed a shorter walk near Assisi organised through a travel company, and must say I absolutely loved having my baggage carried, and having certitude about where I was staying each night, in good quality accommodation.
Margaret

I think having the business folks answer honestly from their experience helps just as knowing what is out there for services helps in real time. The fact that one huge obstacle for pilgrims is health related issues. With this forum they can search out & figure out if it is something they can still do.
I for one would never want to discourage that one issue.
Keith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Forum Rule:

3) No commercial posts in the forum. As the Camino becomes more and more popular, there are more products and services related to the Camino. If you have one, please feel free to post it in our Camino Resources section. Post each product only one time, this will generate an automatic post in the Camino Resources forum making this the only forum for commercial posts. The one exception is Books posted in the resource section, they will have their automatic posts appear in the Camino Book section. If you do not find a category for your product/service, please contact @ivar .

All other commercial posts will be removed.
I absolutely have no commercial interest. It does appear that here and there on the forum, that some might, which is the reason I asked.

Hi Leah,

Paying too much? Tricky question as it all depends on the standard of Hotel they are booking for you. That will be the main cost.

I'm just back from my Camino and I stayed in private rooms like you plan to do.

All I would say is this..........

Are you paying more than 'market costs'? Yes. Of course you are. Because Camino Ways needs to make a profit from the service.

But........ You have the convenience of having everything arranged for you. Sure you could book it all yourself. But I sense you would rather not have too much drama.

So go with your plan.

You won't miss out on interaction with others, don't worry. The places you are booked into will probably be full of Pilgrims anyway.........

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
...I have recently enjoyed a shorter walk near Assisi organised through a travel company, and must say I absolutely loved having my baggage carried, and having certitude about where I was staying each night, in good quality accommodation.Margaret
Out of interest, Margaret, which company did you use?
Suzanne :)

I just I want to post this to help people understand WHY an accompanied group is more expensive than walking on your own. I know it should seem logical, but some people really do not understand. It is a LOT of work!

Yes, the costs of the Camino are more expensive than if you do the work yourself.
Why?
It takes months of work to plan for 8 people and there are costs that must be covered up front.
(I have already made reservations and begun the planning for 2016)

I'm not sure how other companies price their trips, but here is how we do it.
If we are walking with 8 people, we will add up all the costs of NINE (leader included) people. This is including double private lodging in a range of private, sometimes upscale lodgings, taxi/bus fares between the villages we miss, taxi from Pamplona to SJPP, taxi to and from Orisson twice, taxi from Villafranca to O Cebreiro to Samos, bag transport (if included), usually an extra hotel night on each end of the trip, meals if any are included, credentials and shells, and any other costs for the particular walk we're leading. Depending on the trip, I add a VERY modest amount per hour for making all of these reservations plus the time spent with each client - usually less than $2-5 per hour. Then I add the leader's costs (airfare, food, shoes, paper, printer ink, cost of printing walking booklets). Then divide that number by EIGHT. That's pretty close to the number charged. At least in our case.

What does the client get?
A worry-free Camino.
Pretty much everything except their flight is arranged for them.
They are given personal help with purchasing equipment, packing, booking tickets, and I'm on the phone or email promptly answering any questions they have.
Bag transport is arranged for them, if they wish.
At the end of every day they have a bed booked so there is no racing for a bed.
They don't have to carry a phone or worry about speaking Spanish.
If they need medical or taxi or any other help, they have a support person to lean on.
They arrive and immediately have a group of people they can walk with, if they don't wish to walk alone.

And more than anything else, a cheer section that tells them they CAN do it and the experience that gives them confidence to often go back a year later and do the entire route or the sections they missed on their own.

Different people have different needs.
I've never been afraid to go to a foreign country on my own.
But to some, it's a terrifying thought.
Some literally can not walk far enough in a day to complete the Camino in 6 months, much less 6 weeks.
I had one client that walked about 3 kilometers per day and taxi'd the rest of the route.
She had a wonderful time!
She did not get a Compostela, but she did get a Walking Certificate and she was thrilled!

If people feel they need the support of a group, I think it's wonderful that shopping around for an option they can afford is available.
There are several companies leading groups and each does it a little different.
Some offer more support, some offer less.
One company actually feeds people lunch all along the way.
Another sends you a list of reservations and you walk alone.
But each allows people to become pilgrims who might not normally be able to do it or FEEL like they could do it.
And to me, that's a good thing.

Hi, Leah, You've gotten two different responses (so far!) and only you can decide which is right for you. My two cents ......

I met a couple last year who had just completed a Sarria to Santiago camino with Camino Ways and they were very enthusiastic about the efficiency of the baggage transfer services and the variety and charm of the accommodations arranged. The wife did say, though, that she had hoped she might lose a little weight on the pilgrimage, but the breakfasts and dinners included were so good she was afraid she might have actually gained weight! :p Just saying..... :D . For me personally, the idea of getting to chose a restaurant and maybe spending time with pilgrims we'd met -- or meeting new ones at the meal -- would sway me to drop the pre-arranged dinners.

When I first started reading this forum two years ago there was no question in my mind that we would use a service such as Camino Ways. I've gotten so much confidence from reading the experiences of others, and from following up with the references, guides, etc., that have been suggested, though, that we're going to go it on our own, but with private rooms booked a day in advance. And my husband says he's using the baggage transfers every day :) . So in our case, it's really not cost so much as flexibility.

However, if I were going by myself, as it sounds like you are, and since I've never done anything like this before, I think I would definitely be using an agent. Whatever you decide, buen camino!!

Dear Bala,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply and reassurance that your friends found Camino Ways to be a good service. How many pilgrimages have you done? You're right. I'm doing this alone.

Leah

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Out of interest, Margaret, which company did you use?
Suzanne :)
Hi Suzanne,
I actually booked on the internet via an English company, World Walks, (and I think I might well use this company again.) The tour itself was delivered by a locally based company, Ecologico Tours. I was impressed by the service from both companies, and I felt confident there would have been good back-up if I had needed it on the actual walk. I notice that Ecologico Tours does offer some walks along the Camino, but I am not sure who these are delivered through.
Margaret

Hi, Leah,

One other thing the people I spoke with mentioned. Their lodgings were all either right on the camino or maybe just a short walk off. They were never transported to where they were staying (although their luggage was). I had a friend who had hiked Hadrian's Wall in England, using a transport company that vanned them to their inns each night and dropped them off at their starting point the next morning. Something you might want to ask about.

As for me, my first pilgrimage won't be until this October, when my husband and I will walk from SJPdP to however far we can get in 14 nights on the Camino (hopefully Burgos, but we'll see!). Then we'll pick up next year from wherever we stopped and head out until we make it to Santiago. At least that's the plan as of now :) .

We travel internationally several times a year, nearly always independently, often to developing countries, and usually making all our own arrangements. But everything's well arranged in advance. With a car. And sometimes a driver/guide. So this venturing off on a trail (A trail? With a backpack?? And it might rain???) will be a whole new experience.

I totally agree with what Anniesantiago has to say about everyone's comfort level being different and the need for different supports. As far as paying "too much", I know there are times when we've paid far more than what I've seen others have paid for something very similar. But we've wanted to security of booking through a reliable US firm, using our credit cards, or one of the many other reasons Anniesantiago mentions. I like to compare it to having work done around our house. There are times (not a whole lot of them, haha) where we might go the do-it-yourself route, other times when professional expertise is needed. When I might chose one over the other will vary greatly from, say, what my best friend might do.

All the best, however you go!

Hi Leah. I'm a year older than you and doing the full Camino. I too chose an agency to pre-book B and B for me. I feel safe being 'looked after' that way. Also maybe you, like me, are a bit challenged when it comes to using ipads or smart phones to book ahead. My trip is expensive but, Leah, the memories! Go with your decision, girl.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The only down side I see with booking the whole trip via an Agency, is lack of flexibility. I presume all accommodation is booked at the outset.

I walked with a few people who used an agency in this way. They all had issues at some point with trying to keep up with a strict schedule. Usually, they needed to slow down due to injury or fatigue. Maybe take an unplanned day off. I'm not sure how realistic it is, to book 35 (or however many) overnight stops, and then expect they will suit your pace.

Most I met in this situation, jumped on a bus or taxi occasionally to 'catch up' with the schedule. Just expect that you may need to do this.

If I was to use a service like this, I would ask that bookings only be made 2-3 days ahead. I actually used such a service in the latter stages of my Camino and it worked really well. My Spanish wasn't up to making phone bookings. (Up to that point I used helpful hosts to assist me but I felt it was an imposition at times) I'd love to post the name of the service, but sadly it was provided as a favour via a friend and the agency is at full stretch and does not need any more business :( If that changes, I'll post the details here.

Hi Leah. I'm a year older than you and doing the full Camino. I too chose an agency to pre-book B and B for me. I feel safe being 'looked after' that way. Also maybe you, like me, are a bit challenged when it comes to using ipads or smart phones to book ahead. My trip is expensive but, Leah, the memories! Go with your decision, girl.
How much of the route are you doing and in how many days? I'm doing Sarria to Santiago in 9 days - so I am doing 5 to 10 miles a day - with too much weight and a bad knee. What kind of exercise preparation are you doing and have you done this before? I'm encouraged by your response. - Leah

Hi, Leah,

One other thing the people I spoke with mentioned. Their lodgings were all either right on the camino or maybe just a short walk off. They were never transported to where they were staying (although their luggage was). I had a friend who had hiked Hadrian's Wall in England, using a transport company that vanned them to their inns each night and dropped them off at their starting point the next morning. Something you might want to ask about.

As for me, my first pilgrimage won't be until this October, when my husband and I will walk from SJPdP to however far we can get in 14 nights on the Camino (hopefully Burgos, but we'll see!). Then we'll pick up next year from wherever we stopped and head out until we make it to Santiago. At least that's the plan as of now :) .

We travel internationally several times a year, nearly always independently, often to developing countries, and usually making all our own arrangements. But everything's well arranged in advance. With a car. And sometimes a driver/guide. So this venturing off on a trail (A trail? With a backpack?? And it might rain???) will be a whole new experience.

I totally agree with what Anniesantiago has to say about everyone's comfort level being different and the need for different supports. As far as paying "too much", I know there are times when we've paid far more than what I've seen others have paid for something very similar. But we've wanted to security of booking through a reliable US firm, using our credit cards, or one of the many other reasons Anniesantiago mentions. I like to compare it to having work done around our house. There are times (not a whole lot of them, haha) where we might go the do-it-yourself route, other times when professional expertise is needed. When I might chose one over the other will vary greatly from, say, what my best friend might do.

All the best, however you go!
Bala - thanks for your kind response to my query. I agree everyone's comfort level is different. A few of my friends think I'm crazy - two of them yelled at me because I had medical issues with my knee and spine last year with a lot of physical therapy; I still walk with a limp. But going on the pilgrimage has galvanized me to get in better shape - galvanized me more than four physical therapists have been able to. Even with the supports I've lined up, I'm pushing the envelope. It's great! :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have walked the Camino three times. Every trip I've met someone with limited physical ability completing the Camino. This last May it was Patty, a librarian from Seattle, who was walking to celebrate over coming cancer and surviving a stroke. She slowly walked with a distinct limp, and carried her backpack every step, but she inspired everyone by walking into Santiago with the biggest smile on her face. The Camino before that was a man with MS. The Camino before that was a group of autistic teenagers from South Korea being led by a tiny little nun.

So I suggest you take plenty of pictures along the Camino to show your physical therapists.

Leah, my adult daughter and I walked the Primitivo this May. We both had a bad knee that we went to physio for and I spent 2 years correcting back problems before I went. My knee bothered me after 15 kms each day so we jumped stages via bus or taxi and decided we were in for the walk not the compostela. We also stretched every hour and did physio every evening.
If my daughter hadn't come I would have gone with an agency despite the additional expense. I'm not sure about CaminoWays but given my research some agencies will provide support if you have physical difficulty, and also, some will plan for the distances you want, though they might just do this for groups. You can ask.
We also met people with physical injuries and disabilities walking every step. They just went slower and walked longer on each day.
I had people tell me not to go as well, telling me I was crazy. Maybe, but I loved it and want to walk another.
Buen camino!

I take groups on the Camino and I have heard Camino Ways is a well established company with a good reputation.
Yes, you will pay more than if you do the trip on your own.
However, having booked and led groups for several years, it is a crazy amount of work to plan these trips, FIND lodging and make the reservations, book the bag transport and meals, all things you would have to do on your own.

I charge not much more than that for 22 nights -
BUT
booking the Sarria to Santiago section is more difficult as there are more people traveling, and thus more work.

Some people enjoy doing all that groundwork themselves.
Some don't and would rather pay to have someone do it for them.

To just be able to go... and have all these details worked out ahead for you - I think it's well worth whatever price you can afford to pay.
I am now receiving unsolicited ads from Camino Ways.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am now receiving unsolicited ads from Camino Ways.
If that is on your browser window when you are on the internet, the ad is likely delivered by Google, because they know you have used related search terms. You probably see other ads occasionally related to whatever subjects you've searched for. I don't understand all the details of how it works, but I get Salomon ads because I'm always looking for their shoes, some hotel ads for places where I've searched, etc. It is a bit disconcerting at times, but Google is watching your searches!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
That is thanks to Google not me.
I have nothing to do with Camino Ways.
I am Anniewalkers USA. ;)
No directed at you personally Annie; I know you do walks. I don't know how to put a message out without going into a thread, but thanks; I have actually emailed them and asked how they got my email address.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If that is on your browser window when you are on the internet, the ad is likely delivered by Google, because they know you have used related search terms. You probably see other ads occasionally related to whatever subjects you've searched for. I don't understand all the details of how it works, but I get Salomon ads because I'm always looking for their shoes, some hotel ads for places where I've searched, etc. It is a bit disconcerting at times, but Google is watching your searches!
Thanks Cclearly…I just thought the timing was odd, since this thread started recently and I had never contact them before. No harm; just vexing. Ads are so in our face in these times.

€46,-
I walked Wainwrights coast to coast and there was a couple from San Fransisco, taking it easy. I saw them every day, in their 80's and just come from the Camino. Great people, really enjoying the experience. It's always good to give something a go. What's crazy is not doing things. Enjoy the experience, everyday. Don't get caught up with worrying about injuries or hard and fast rules about walking or stopping, or the judgement of others. Robo is correct on what he says though try and book a flexible itinerary.

Good luck and enjoy!

That IS interesting! Let us know what you find out![/QUOTE
Hi C clearly, yes I am aware of my searches on Google following me; I see Ahnu boots ads in many of my searches still today, but I have never had a direct email from them (or others); I did ask directly to Camino Ways how they obtained my actual email address. Whether or not I hear back; we'll see. In the greater scheme of things, this is not a huge deal.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
While I am a big fan of flexibility and making my own arrangements, I have some friends who prefer to pay for others to do this for them. As I pay (for example) for pack transport about half the time, I can't be puritanical about it. I would be concerned that I would be around people too much like me, but then again, some people want that. I have run into small groups run by two well-known and reputable friends of the Camino, and was impressed by the variety of people involved, their curiosity and openness and willingness to learn and get the most out of their Camino.

I would suggest to Leah that she make a point of engaging with people outside her group as she can, and not missing out on things along the way. While it's a pilgrimage, and pilgrimages are meant to be tough, there's no rule against enjoying yourself.

I have walked the Camino three times. Every trip I've met someone with limited physical ability completing the Camino. This last May it was Patty, a librarian from Seattle, who was walking to celebrate over coming cancer and surviving a stroke. She slowly walked with a distinct limp, and carried her backpack every step, but she inspired everyone by walking into Santiago with the biggest smile on her face. The Camino before that was a man with MS. The Camino before that was a group of autistic teenagers from South Korea being led by a tiny little nun.

So I suggest you take plenty of pictures along the Camino to show your physical therapists.
Hi Robert , I met Patty to , a great lady with a great sence of humor and a big smile.
Wish you well , Peter .

€149,-
People will tell you that you don't need to pre-book anything, it's too limiting, you can easily just book tomorrow today or find an albergue bed somewhere. I'm an older putative pilgrim and the whole idea of not knowing where I'm going to sleep from one day to the next is stressful and worrying. To some, it's part of the camino. To me, paying someone else to organise all that, so I can think of other things as I walk, is a no brainer. At least the first time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Leah
I walked Portomarin to Sarria in 2010 and used a travel agency to organise it. Had a great time and enjoyed it very much.I learned alot so that when I walked the Camino Frances in 2012 solo I had some idea about it. So enjoy your Camino, learn from it and maybe you will walk solo in the future. I still meet up with people I walked with in 2012
Buen Camino
Maura

I have mentioned this story before in other threads when the subject of pre-booking comes up. Two Caminos ago I met a pilgrim from the Untied States who had spend months and countless hours booking every room from SJPP to Santiago. He had consulted elevation maps, weather charts, and booking sites. Nothing was left to chance. The D-Day invasion took less planning. Then on the second or third day of his Camino he fell into a Camino family. They loved him and he loved them. The only problem was that they were being spontaneous and living in the moment when it came to where to spend the night. Some days they walked 35 kilometers and other days only 10 or 15. This meant his Camino family rarely stopped in a village where he had pre-booked a room. As a result he would stop walking with his family, jump in a taxi, go up or down the Camino to his pre-booked room, shower, change his clothes, jump back in a taxi, go back to his Camino family, have dinner, jump back in a taxi, go back to his pre-booked room, sleep, wake up, jump in a taxi, go back to his Camino family, and resume walking with them.

It was shear madness.

When I asked him why he just didn't cancel the remainder of his reservations he admitted to me that he didn't want to accept that his months and months of planning were a complete waste of time.

When I asked him why he just didn't cancel the remainder of his reservations he admitted to me that he didn't want to accept that his months and months of planning were a complete waste of time.
One swallow doesn't make a summer. Great if this happens, but what if it doesn't? Comes down to what kind of person you are. Planners will be planners. Know heaps of people (including close family) who go with the flow. You can't make any dependable arrangement with them. Drives me nuts!

€46,-
Hi Leah,

I expect that others will reply telling you that you don't need to use an agency - which is true. However, if you are leaning towards this type of arrangement and you don't mind paying the mark-up then there's no reason why you shouldn't go ahead with it. It may give you the reassurance that you need on your first Camino.

Camino Ways is a well established firm and I know a lot of people who have used them.

One practical suggestion: if you decide to stick with Camino Ways, perhaps consider removing the daily dinners from your booking. This will give you much more flexibility each evening. You will probably meet people who you would like to have dinner with and they may be staying in other accommodations. This will also reduce your overall costs.

Buen Camino!

Nuala
Totally agree with Nuala, who I had the pleasure of meeting, dining with and walking with on my Camino in May-June 2015. I went with a similar provider (Follow the Camino) a and couldn't fault the process. Good luck and Buen Camino

I would like to walk the Camino Frances one day. I would also like my wife to accompany me. However, I am a little unsure whether she would i) like it and ii) be prepared to stay in the hostels.

So we did the Portuguese Camino this spring. I booked it through a reputable agency I have used before and we stayed in hotels. Most of the hotels were good - some very good and one pretty awful. We enjoyed it and met others who were staying in hotels and others who stayed in hostels. I may do it this way when I do the Frances!

One thing I would recommend: stay B&B. That gives you the flexibility to eat out or in the hotel in the evening. I may give it a go next year on the English route.

Buen Camino,
Biff

People will tell you that you don't need to pre-book anything, it's too limiting, you can easily just book tomorrow today or find an albergue bed somewhere. I'm an older putative pilgrim and the whole idea of not knowing where I'm going to sleep from one day to the next is stressful and worrying. To some, it's part of the camino. To me, paying someone else to organise all that, so I can think of other things as I walk, is a no brainer. At least the first time.

Yes, I agree.
It is different with each person.
Some are more adventurous than others.
Some like the peace of knowing there is a bed ahead.
It's just a personal thing and isn't it wonderful people have options!?

€60,-
Last year my husband, 2 friends, and I walked the Camino Portuguese, a first Camino experience. I am not "well-travelled", 73, and we were a bit unsure of what to do, etc. We used a booking agency. Yes, it was pricier but it took the "guess work" out of what we were doing. Our plan included only breakfast, no dinners. As someone previously mentioned, you might exclude the dinners. There are plenty of places to enjoy local food at very reasonable cost. We are going back this year, late August, with 2 different friends, and this year we felt comfortable enough to make our own reservations. We prefered to stay in the hotels/inns because of our desire for more privacy.

I have learned a lot from this thread, each of us approach it as the individuals we are. This simply points out no matter your personal issues there are ways to make at least portions of the routes.
Buen Camino

I am a planner too, and I had pretty much everything planned and booked, and largely paid for, when I went to New Zealand for five weeks last year. When I arrived in Auckland, my backpack didn't. Seeing no way to change my complex arrangements, I borrowed a few essentials from family in Auckland, bought socks, boots and underwear, and set off with these makeshift supplies. All went well, but now I find myself trying desperately to find a way to guarantee that my camino pack and gear will arrive on the same plane as I do. Since I cannot control the vagaries of airlines and their staff, I can only hope that I shall be able to take my pack on the planes with me and that I can pack enough in advance to not leave behind anything I need. However, I suspect that God has a wicked sense of humour and anything that can happen will happen. Planning does not always work out as hoped for and I am trying to learn to adjust with reasonable good humour. I have not, however, booked any accommodation for my camino after the first several days, as I know that I need to let my physical condition control the distances that I walk, and not the need to get to a pre-planned bed.

€149,-
Hi,

Questions:

Leah
Hi,

Questions:

Leah

Hi Leah,
I am having some of the same questions you pose. I just turned 70 and hope to do the same route sometime in September. I have thought about using an agent, but feel there isn't the kind of flexibility I might need, especially in walking. This is one of the reasons I do not want to have a set distance every day and hope to be able to get an open airplane ticket on my trip back to Los Angeles.
Thank you for posing this question as I have learned from some of the ideas presented.Sometimes just trying to figure out all the necessary information seems daunting, especially when traveling to another country.
Would love to hear about your experience.

Hello Leah
I walked Portomarin to Sarria in 2010 and used a travel agency to organise it. Had a great time and enjoyed it very much.I learned alot so that when I walked the Camino Frances in 2012 solo I had some idea about it. So enjoy your Camino, learn from it and maybe you will walk solo in the future. I still meet up with people I walked with in 2012
Buen Camino
Maura
Maura - although I used a travel agency, I'll not be with a group - I'm traveling alone and look forward to meeting people from all over the world. Thanks for your kind response to my posting. - Leah

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year my Camino almost fell apart near Leon when my girlfriend got food poisoning, I was about to book a flight Home. A few days of rest at a nice Hotel helped to get her better, but what really saved our trip was sending the packs ahead by transport and reserving rooms or beds everyday as much as possible. For us older and more sedentary folks, not having to worry about packs and finding a bed makes for a better Camino. Not the Camino I had planned, but we muddled through and made it to Santiago.

Last edited:
I am a planner too, and I had pretty much everything planned and booked, and largely paid for, when I went to New Zealand for five weeks last year. When I arrived in Auckland, my backpack didn't. Seeing no way to change my complex arrangements, I borrowed a few essentials from family in Auckland, bought socks, boots and underwear, and set off with these makeshift supplies. All went well, but now I find myself trying desperately to find a way to guarantee that my camino pack and gear will arrive on the same plane as I do. Since I cannot control the vagaries of airlines and their staff, I can only hope that I shall be able to take my pack on the planes with me and that I can pack enough in advance to not leave behind anything I need. However, I suspect that God has a wicked sense of humour and anything that can happen will happen. Planning does not always work out as hoped for and I am trying to learn to adjust with reasonable good humour. I have not, however, booked any accommodation for my camino after the first several days, as I know that I need to let my physical condition control the distances that I walk, and not the need to get to a pre-planned bed.
If you are walking the CF if you go in the spring no need to book anything but Orrison. If you pack for a flight size carry on pack it will simply make you take only the essentials. Then check your overage if it makes it you will have more weight if not go with what you get. As everything you need will be available in SJPDP or Pamplona. For places to stay the guide will show distance & places to stay no need to book ahead. Once you arrive & find difficulty for any reason the folks who run the places to stay can give you options, help. The folks you walk with the majority will be there for you. It sounds like this is not your first rodeo so maybe try to just adapt as you go..

I have nothing against the organisers, bag transfers and travel companies. I have friends of all ages, some with mobility challenges, and am glad they are there to accommodate them should they decide to walk the camino. Admittedly I prefer the flexibility of not knowing everything myself but that is me.

I just thought I'd add a warning to this conversation: If you want to book through a company, ask questions. Lots of them. Tell them stuff about what you imagine the walk to be like, what you hope for or what you can or can't do, even if they don't ask. Make sure you know what you get and that they know what you want/need!

In March we met a brave soul from a different continent who had booked her camino through a company and she was not happy.
- The accommodation was often quite a bit off the camino, meaning the suggested budget for food every day was way off, as there were no pilgrim menus or informal bars etc nearby. She tended to eat alone as there were no other pilgrims there and she was too tired to go back into town.
- The stages were pretty arbitrary and inconsistent - like the plan to walk from Cacabelos, take the mountain/Pradela route out of Villafranca del Bierzo and then carry on along the tarmac to Herrerias (and then only to O Cebreiro the next night??), almost 30kms that are really hard even if you are fit. This was way more than she could do and left her feeling inadequate and failing and on the verge of tears when we found her at the bottom of the hill and talked her into a café (and then a taxi).
- She was not told about the compostela nor furnished with a pilgrim passport and it was hard to find one after Leon. (We did get one though, and she did go home with her compostela!)
- They had suggested equipment that was unsuitable for the time of year or insufficient for her needs, so she had to spend extra money en route on warmer clothing, better shoes, quick drying trousers, walking poles and taxis.

I am not saying that all companies are like that, I am just saying ask the questions. If they can't answer, make them find out - or ask yourself if they are the right providers if they don't know things that are important to you. Ask them what they need to know about you and your needs and expectations. Good companies would know and would want to know.

Oh, and you will see her on the camino again soon (but in a more disorganised way)!

Bala - thanks for your kind response to my query. I agree everyone's comfort level is different. A few of my friends think I'm crazy - two of them yelled at me because I had medical issues with my knee and spine last year with a lot of physical therapy; I still walk with a limp. But going on the pilgrimage has galvanized me to get in better shape - galvanized me more than four physical therapists have been able to. Even with the supports I've lined up, I'm pushing the envelope. It's great! :)

Hello All, I'm new at this and this is my first post! I wanted to comment as I am booked to start My Camino on September 1st in Sarria. My touring agent has me walking 22 km each of the first 2 days. Having 5 joint replacements and never walking farther than to-and-from my car for the past 20 years, I'm learning to walk and build up my stamina. I'm now 7 weeks away and afraid I can't walk more than 17 km... so I've come to terms with a taxi the last 4-6 km. I'm now feeling confident I haven't ruined my Camino and can spiritually enjoy myself-- which is the reason I wanted to go on a pilgrimage in the first place! I am very grateful for the information from the forum and the idea of a no regrets taxi!

If you are walking the CF if you go in the spring no need to book anything but Orrison. If you pack for a flight size carry on pack it will simply make you take only the essentials. Then check your overage if it makes it you will have more weight if not go with what you get. As everything you need will be available in SJPDP or Pamplona. For places to stay the guide will show distance & places to stay no need to book ahead. Once you arrive & find difficulty for any reason the folks who run the places to stay can give you options, help. The folks you walk with the majority will be there for you. It sounds like this is not your first rodeo so maybe try to just adapt as you go..

@MTtoCamino:
Thanks for your reply and I shall certainly adjust if I have to. I am walking in October - November and am taking for warmth and rain exactly what I take for summer backpacking trips in the Rockies, plus minimal changes. That will certainly be heavier than for a summer trip, but I do not adjust well to heat. I have booked my first night in Corazon Puro, for transport from Pamplona to SJPdP plus a good night's sleep, the next night at Orisson, and the night after Roncesvalles at Corazon Puro again. I am planning to leave some of my extra weight at Corazon Puro for the walk over the Pyrenees, if the weather forecast is favourable. As a woman of sixty-seven with arthritic knees, I want to make sure that I get a good start. And if my pack arrives a day or two late, I am hoping that it will be delivered to Corazon Puro to await my second arrival. But I am not counting on anything. You are quite right that this is not my first rodeo. As a Calgary girl on the last day of Stampede, that seems like an appropriate image. Blessings on all your journeys.

Last edited:
Hello All, I'm new at this and this is my first post! I wanted to comment as I am booked to start My Camino on September 1st in Sarria. My touring agent has me walking 22 km each of the first 2 days. Having 5 joint replacements and never walking farther than to-and-from my car for the past 20 years, I'm learning to walk and build up my stamina. I'm now 7 weeks away and afraid I can't walk more than 17 km... so I've come to terms with a taxi the last 4-6 km. I'm now feeling confident I haven't ruined my Camino and can spiritually enjoy myself-- which is the reason I wanted to go on a pilgrimage in the first place! I am very grateful for the information from the forum and the idea of a no regrets taxi!

Hi Susan - do you know if your agent is open to arranging shorter stages for you? There are accommodation options available at shorter distances, which would allow you to ease into the walk. 22km on your first two days would be too much for a lot of people. Of course there's absolutely nothing wrong with using taxis like this (as long as you realise that you would not be eligible for a Compostela at Santiago if you didn't walk all of the last 100km), but it seems a shame to have to do that if you're wanting to walk and have trained for it but just can't manage such long days. My mother and I recently completed our camino and due to injury and other issues were unable to walk long distances each day. We found accommodation in between the stages recommended in guide books and just took longer - there are many options for different types of accommodation whether you want to stay in albergues or prefer pensions or small hotels. You may not be able to spend more time on the Camino (in which case ignore all this!), but if you have some flexibility I would recommend asking your agent if they can adjust things for you so you don't feel you have to push yourself too much at the start.

Whatever you decide, I know you'll have a wonderful time - buen camino!

@MTtoCamino:
Thanks for your reply and I shall certainly adjust if I have to. I am walking in October - November and am taking for warmth and rain exactly what I take for summer backpacking trips in the Rockies, plus minimal changes. That will certainly be heavier than for a summer trip, but I do not adjust well to heat. I have booked my first night in Corazon Puro, for transport from Pamplona to SJPdP plus a good night's sleep, the next night at Orisson, and the night after Roncesvalles at Corazon Puro again. I am planning to leave some of my extra weight at Corazon Puro for the walk over the Pyrenees, if the weather forecast is favourable. As a woman of sixty-seven with arthritic knees, I want to make sure that I get a good start. And if my pack arrives a day or two late, I am hoping that it will be delivered to Corazon Puro to await my second arrival. But I am not counting on anything. You are quite right that this is not my first rodeo. As a Calgary girl on the last day of Stampede, that seems like an appropriate image. Blessings on all your journeys.
I was worried about not receiving my pack so I took it as a carry on. I checked in my poles and liquids in an old pack that I tossed at the other end. If I hadn't received my poles I would have just bought new or gone without. On the way home I checked in my bag since I wouldn't be needing it immediately.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back