• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Re-considering zip-off convertible pants

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2022
I've avoided zip-off convertible pants because I found them uncomfortable. But the idea behind them is so useful, I'm reconsidering.

On me, they chafe where the zipper is. I don't have especially thick thighs, so I'm not sure why it bothers me. I'm wondering if other users here have specific brand suggestions or comments.

I'm interested in something with at least a couple of cargo pockets. I tried some Columbia brand ones that I returned. Also, a couple higher end brands whose name I don't remember that I tried on at the local outfitter.... all irritated me.

The last time I was traveling when the weather got too hot for me, I ended up hacking off the legs of one of my pants to create shorts!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had the same problem as you when I was gearing up for my CF in 2022. I thought I'd settled on a pair of Columbia convertible pants, but the material felt uncomfortable and the fit was too shapeless.

I ended up buying a pair of Prana Stretch Zion pants and they were the perfect choice. They're not exactly zip-off convertible pants: instead, they have snaps at the bottom of each leg so you can roll up the pants from the ankle to just below the knee and keep them secured. Having the extra ventilation on my calves when things got too warm proved to be just the ticket. (They're also discreetly ventilated in the inseam gusset, which is a feature I wish all hiking pants would have.) The understated cargo pocket was the perfect size to fit my credential and passport, so I always had them on me instead of having to worry about keeping them in a seperate bag, and there's a "hidden" zippered coin pocket as well which fits some emergency cash/cards or even a minimalist wallet.

The fabric is soft and has just the right amount of stretch., And perhaps best of all - they're nicely tailored and don't scream "long distance hiking pants", which meant I could wear them in the cities I visited after my walk without looking too unkempt. They're not the cheapest pants, but I still wear the pair I bought almost two years after my walk so I've gotten a good amount of use from the initial investment. And you can get 20% off your first order when you sign up on the Prana website.

I had the same problem as you when I was gearing up for my CF in 2022. I thought I'd settled on a pair of Columbia convertible pants, but the material felt uncomfortable and the fit was too shapeless.

I ended up buying a pair of Prana Stretch Zion pants and they were the perfect choice.
Thanks, I'll take a look. And I agree, those zip offs are unfortunate when you're trying to look a little nicer.
I have a Prana sweater that I scored at a thrift shop which is absolutely my favorite sweater.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One more thing about the Prana pants: They come in two fits, regular and "slim". I'm not exactly "slim" (34"-36" waist), but the slim version fit me better and looks more flattering. If there's an REI in your neck of the woods, you can probably try on both and see which one you like better.

I've avoided zip-off convertible pants because I found them uncomfortable. But the idea behind them is so useful, I'm reconsidering.

On me, they chafe where the zipper is. I don't have especially thick thighs, so I'm not sure why it bothers me. I'm wondering if other users here have specific brand suggestions or comments.

I'm interested in something with at least a couple of cargo pockets. I tried some Columbia brand ones that I returned. Also, a couple higher end brands whose name I don't remember that I tried on at the local outfitter.... all irritated me.

The last time I was traveling when the weather got too hot for me, I ended up hacking off the legs of one of my pants to create shorts!
Iā€™ve had Columbia zip offs in the past and didnā€™t care for them. I bought a pair of Kuhl zip offs and just spent 20 days in Columbia hiking all over the place. I like them so much Iā€™m thinking about buying a second pair. They arenā€™t the easiest to attach the legs while youā€™re wearing the shorts part, but I got better with time. One other thing, they were extremely comfortable and I never even knew I was wearing convertible pants.

ā‚¬2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I bought a pair of Kuhl zip offs and just spent 20 days in Columbia hiking all over the place. I like them so much Iā€™m thinking about buying a second pair. They arenā€™t the easiest to attach the legs while youā€™re wearing the shorts part, but I got better with time. One other thing, they were extremely comfortable and I never even knew I was wearing convertible pants.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

I use the same. They work a treat

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have three pair of REI "cargo" pants with zip-offs that I rotate for hiking. They have abundant pockets and are quick-dry. I usually take two pair on Camino. Not a favorite of the fashion police, but work for me. Never had the irritation issue.

I take a normal pair of hiking trousers ( pants to some others) by Craghoppers, good enuff for Palin to circumnavigate the globe and also a pair of shorts with decent sized pockets. I can make better trade offs with regard to weight carried elsewhere in my pack.

In the same respect I wouldn't take trousers / pants that are lined. I would take some long johns with my normal trousers and remove when too hot, add when too cold.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
I am cheap when purchasing hiking clothes. I live in the Cascade mountains and have trails outside my door. I do most of my shopping at Bass Pro Shop. I buy Redhead brand zip offs $39.00 and have worn then on 3 Caminos plus walks in Other nations. I only have had 3 pair in the last 7 years.

I find that items that are designed to do two things, usually do them half as well.
Stretch denim (Jeans) pants and a separate stretch denim shorts have served me the best. Lots of pockets. They are available in a variety of colors too.

I ended up buying a pair of Prana Stretch Zion pants and they were the perfect choice. They're not exactly zip-off convertible pants: instead, they have snaps at the bottom of each leg so you can roll up the pants from the ankle to just below the knee and keep them secured. Having the extra ventilation on my calves when things got too warm proved to be just the ticket. (They're also discreetly ventilated in the inseam gusset, which is a feature I wish all hiking pants would have.) The understated cargo pocket was the perfect size to fit my credential and passport, so I always had them on me instead of having to worry about keeping them in a seperate bag, and there's a "hidden" zippered coin pocket as well which fits some emergency cash/cards or even a minimalist wallet.

The fabric is soft and has just the right amount of stretch., And perhaps best of all - they're nicely tailored and don't scream "long distance hiking pants", which meant I could wear them in the cities I visited after my walk without looking too unkempt. They're not the cheapest pants, but I still wear the pair I bought almost two years after my walk so I've gotten a good amount of use from the initial investment. And you can get 20% off your first order when you sign up on the Prana website.
SeƱor Jacques, are the Prana Stretch Zion pants quick dry?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

REI sell a line called the Sahara convertible cargo pant. I have used them on all six of my Caminos. They are made of 100 nylon, are windproof, and even if soaking wet (from rain) usually dry enough to wear in about 30 minutes.

More importantly, and to your concern, the zipper seam falls at a good place on my lower thigh, above the knee. There is no chafing. I have chunky, muscular, not fat legs.

I wear one pair, and pack a second pair. That gives me FOUR pairs of pants - two shorts and two long. They are very light and fold very small - to fit in a one gallon ziplock bag while riding at the bottom of my rucksack.

Given that you live in Maine, USA, you should have access to an REI - somewhere.

Hope, this helps.

I have considered but never purchased zip offs because the zip seam is always stiff and would be annoying. Also, (more important) I like long pants for the sun protection! I have Marmot pants that roll up about 25cm with a tab to secure. But for the Camino I just wore standard hiking pants (Australian brand Mountain designs or an old Macpac pair).

On a seperate note, I discovered that my nylon slightly stretchy hiking pants with are much ā€˜hotterā€™ in hot weather than my Macpac non-stretch nylon hiking pants. Really noticed this when I travelled to Egypt after my Camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like zip-offs, but noticed something disturbing with my pair of Cape zip-offs (with upf30+ feature). When my legs get a little damp from sweat, the pants grab/stick over the knee when I lift my leg up, like when stepping over a rock, or on steps, so I have to grab both pants legs and lift to allow free leg movement. I must look like a woman with those long dresses who has to hold her dress up on stairs so she doesn't trip on it. I don't know if this is because of the sun-protection treatment, or the material, which is standard stuff - moisture wicking and quick dry.
I have two other different brand zip-offs but haven't noticed this problem.

Zip-offs: I'm a big fan. I brought two pair of North Face zip-offs on the Camino. Love them. I would have been fine leaving the lower legs of one pair at home. Only complaint was one pair really shrunk after a stint in the dryer.

I am also a fan of Kuhl and used a pair (Renegade Convertible is the name on the tag) last year on the TMB. I really like them. Good fit, good construction, and very comfortable. My son gave me a pair of Pranas. They look mighty stylish, but haven't had the chance to try them out hiking yet. Wore them around the house and I do like the stretchy aspect to them. I have some from Columbia and I do not like them for hiking. I wear them fishing and that's about it.

In 2016 I used a very thin pair from Mountain Hardware on a backpacking trip in New Mexico. They were outstanding and I think would be ideal for a June-August Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
I have no issues at all with my Kathmandu zip-off pants. Wore them in CF 2022 and will be taking them again this year; might even buy a second pair as theyā€™re so handy and comfy. Kathmandu is a New Zealand brand which I believe also owns Macpac, purchased in Australia - recommend them, cant fault them. .

i got 3 pairs of convertibles from Costco, they were like $18 a pair. The material is not as soft as Kuhl or REI's but am still wearing them after 5.5 years. My fav pair got bleached lighter from meseta sunlight, the bottom half was stowed in pack so it retained the original color. i still wear them together. I have thought of mixing colored legs but have not gone that far yet, not yet. I don't mind mixing colored socks but pant legs...hmmm.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Iā€™ve had Columbia zip offs in the past and didnā€™t care for them. I bought a pair of Kuhl zip offs and just spent 20 days in Columbia hiking all over the place. I like them so much Iā€™m thinking about buying a second pair. They arenā€™t the easiest to attach the legs while youā€™re wearing the shorts part, but I got better with time. One other thing, they were extremely comfortable and I never even knew I was wearing convertible pants.
Agree, used Kuhl zip offs for 2023 CF. Quick drying if/when wet.

Concur, Kuhl is comfortable, cool looking, and with an excellent fit, compared to the several brands of convertible pants that I bought over the years at REI. Kuhl zippers have bothered me the least. Kuhl has a fabric liner on the inside of the convertible pantsā€™ zipper, which keeps the zipper away from your skin. (See photos of my husbandā€™s pants.) My husband liked my Kuhl pants so much, he bought two of his own. I only ask him not to wear the same color as my Kuhl pants when we travel. For adventures in chilly weather, I love my Kuhl frost pants (not convertible).

Attachments

• IMG_1778.jpeg
    IMG_1778.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1777.jpeg
    IMG_1777.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1775.jpeg
    IMG_1775.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 14

I have worn Columbia brand ones on every Camino I've done since I started doing Caminos again. I'm not sure if they are the same brand as the ones you used. My son, who walked the 2016 Camino with me really liked them, too. I would go and check which model they were. I'd go and check but I am out of town, visiting with my sister after some hospitalero training over the weekend. When I get back home later this week I can check.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Concur, Kuhl is comfortable, cool looking, and with an excellent fit, compared to the several brands of convertible pants that I bought over the years at REI. Kuhl zippers have bothered me the least. Kuhl has a fabric liner on the inside of the convertible pantsā€™ zipper, which keeps the zipper away from your skin. (See photos of my husbandā€™s pants.)
Thanks for posting the photos. Lots of KUHL zip-off fans around here. But they are sure not giving them away, are they?

I used to always wear the zip-offs and never felt the zipper connection was uncomfortable, but I have sort of drifted away from wearing them. Now I tend to take other long pants as well as hiking skirt that falls just above the knee.

I never really cared for zip off pants, although I love the concept. They were always baggy and although the feel of the zipper itself did not bother me, it was more their stiffness I felt that was annoying as I walked. Possibly the Kuhl brand are a bit more slim fitting and hopefully zippers are more supple than they have been in the past, which has been nearly ten years since I've owned a pair.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

ā‚¬83,-
make it +1 for the zip-off convertibles fans. I hiked Machu Picchu in a pair and ultimately bought me 2 pairs (dif colors) for the Camino - which is what I used. The brand is Mountain Club; seems now-a-days you can find them on eBay.... I personally had no issues once so ever and was and still am very happy. They are getting somewhat beat up by know.... i figure they will still make the planned July TMB and may have to be retired after that so I'll be on a lookout form new pair(s)

Check out the Cresta Pants from LL Bean! Having tried and tested a variety of brands I find them to be the best on 2 Caminos. They also have an inner flap liner that covers the zipper teeth inside the pants to prevent rubbing. I actually just did a deep dive into these pants in a recent video on my youtube channel if you are interested! Oh and here is a photo of the zipper flap!
Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Zipper Flap.jpeg
    Zipper Flap.jpeg
    648.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another zip off fan. One pair of Columbias is 20 years old and paper thin, I keep waiting for them to rip - but they just keep on going. Super light, dry fast, and whilst I donā€™t love the zip, nor does it bother me.
Got my new pair last winter in a clearance sale, should have bought two - but then, that was before I became a Camino addictā€¦..

I have worn Columbia brand ones on every Camino I've done since I started doing Caminos again. I'm not sure if they are the same brand as the ones you used. My son, who walked the 2016 Camino with me really liked them, too. I would go and check which model they were. I'd go and check but I am out of town, visiting with my sister after some hospitalero training over the weekend. When I get back home later this week I can check.
Of course, they don't say which model, but looking at the website, I'm pretty sure they are Silver Ridge. I've got pretty chunky thighs. I can't count the number of "lifetime guarantee" Tilley pants I wore through in the thighs as a result when I was still wearing them. But I haven't had any problems with these Columbias, either with them being tight or wearing through.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

ā‚¬149,-
I never liked my zip-off pants before, but I got a new pair from Columbia last year and they are really nice. Much better quality than the ones I got from Academy sports store. Otherwise I usually hike in my Eddie Bauer trousers.

Hi Stephen - you might want to explore OR ( Outdoor Research) clothing. Some of the zip off pants had the zip overtop of fabric so to not touch your legs.

Iā€™m watching the thread with interest as Iā€™ve never been happy with zip-offs, considering them to be both unsatisfactory trousers and unsatisfactory shorts, but Iā€™m prepared to try again

Having not robbed a bank recently I doubt Iā€™ll be trying Prana or Kuhl!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

I took 2 pairs of North Face zip-offs. They will soften up every time you wash them. Never use any fabric softener or tumble drier cloths. It stops them wicking moisture effectively.
Fit is a personal choice - I had a pair of 38ā€ and a pair of 36ā€. On very hot days the baggier pair were cooler.

I have big muscly legs and have worn Craghopper Kiwi trousers for years in the warmer months both zip off and non zip off. Very quick drying and if new surprisingly water resistan. All are windfroof and bomb proof As well as insect proof.
wore a pair of zip offs on Camino in 2022.they are so voluminous that I never felt any drag in the zip area. I only took the legs off on 2 days so really the non zip offs would have been fine. It is what you find comfortable that works

I felt the same as you. However, this last October I needed to save some weight and my REI zipoffs were the solution. It ended up being cold and rainy so I wore them as long pants almost exclusively. They worked well. They were lightweight and no rubbing or chafing. I was happy to have them.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

The only hiking pants I wear are REI Sahara Convertible Pants (https://www.rei.com/product/202030/rei-co-op-sahara-convertible-pants-mens)

I have no chafing problems with the zippers and they are lightweight and dry in a flash. I like that they have 6 pockets (4 in the front and 2 in the back). Since I only wear this brand of hiking pants, the pockets get assigned for certain things, so I always know where they are located (e.g., key pocket, wallet pocket, passport pocket, trash pocket, etc.). They come in a variety of colors.

There's a store in Westbrook, just outside of Portland. That's a bit of a drive from Rockland admittedly.
Try ordering online. Size up, per my experience.

Also, I found that the best colors were grey and olive green. They handle the grime and dirt better, and color match with virtually everything.

I wear one pair of these cargo pants on the flight over, with my hiking boots, and pack the other pair in my rucksack (in a ziplock bag). I will typically wear one pair for a week, then switch and wash the first pair.

If the lower leg sections get muddy or dirty, zip them off and rinse or wash in any convenient water source. I have used fuentes (fountains), rain barrels, and even a stream once. Once you wring them out, they air dry in about 30 minutes. THAT is why I love these pants.

Hope this helps.

Totally agree, they are worth the money.

I have no issues at all with my Kathmandu zip-off pants. Wore them in CF 2022 and will be taking them again this year; might even buy a second pair as theyā€™re so handy and comfy. Kathmandu is a New Zealand brand which I believe also owns Macpac, purchased in Australia - recommend them, cant fault them. .
No, theyā€™re competitors.

I tramp (hike for non-Kiwis) in shorts. I took two pairs of identical zip off pants but only one set of zip off bottoms and just zipped them on on cold evenings. The brand was McKinley, which I bought online. The only thing was the pockets were a little shallow.

If the lower leg sections get muddy or dirty, zip them off and rinse or wash in any convenient water source. I have used fuentes (fountains), rain barrels, and even a stream once. Once you wring them out, they air dry in about 30 minutes. THAT is why I love these pants.
That's definitely one of the handiest things about them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
I wore Columbia zip off. Very light and dried quickly. I walked May18- June 28 2023. When I got into June I zipped them off and just wore them as shorts the rest of the trip. In fact they're still zipped off, I will have to zip them back on for this May-June camino. Was a little cool a couple days in May so it was nice to have them as long pants.

I am not a fan of zip off pants. Apart from the chafing they are a pain to convert from one to the other. Far easier to have separate shorts and long pants.
Iā€™m not a fan either. My long hiking pants have elastic in the ankles that can be pulled tighter to shorten.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Iā€™ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which Iā€™m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.