• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Re: Galego and Spanish on the Camino Frances

AlexanderCook

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Good afternoon, all:

My apologies if this question is answered in another post.

I am walking the Camino Frances in three weeks from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela and would appreciate any advice as to whether it's advisable to learn Galego (Galician) prior to starting the Camino. Do locals on the Camino primarily speak Galego, Spanish, both?

I already speak Spanish (intermediate level, not fluent by any means) but would like to know whether I should learn some Galician as well.

Thank you for any and all advice. Buen camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Galego is a kind of mix of Portuguese and Spanish aka Castillano .
Initially I learned Castillano for my work. I used to work in Catalunya .Do not speak Catalán . After my retirement now 15 years ago, as a hobby I started learning
( Brasilian ) Portuguese and did some courses Português Continental aka Portuguese from Portugal.
Now as a volunteer , I teaching Brazilian, Portuguese and Spanish people the Dutch language as I am born and raised Dutch.
One of my pupils is a guy from Muiños nearby Vigo and with him I speak Portuguese and he answers back in Galego what I understand very easy.

As volunteer at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago I speak Portuguese with the professional members and they answer in either Castillano or Galego.

Grammatically Castillano and Portuguese have the same base so it is fairly easy to switch between both languages , anyway that is my opinion but I am raised mulitilingualy.
Most Dutch , next to Dutch also learn English and German at school and some like myself French .
Later doing business in e.g. Argentina and Spain I started learning Castillano .
In my job as salesman in heavy transport trailers I worked during 5 years in Scandinavia and found out that learning Swedish was the easiest and fastest way to make me understandable for my customers in Denmark, Norway , Sweden and a part of Finland. .
That said , use what is the easiest for you, Spanish , I assume you learned , Spanish spoken in the Americas. And the Galegos will understand you perfectly.

Bom caminho or in Galego : Bo camiño 😊

Last edited:
I was generally ok with my intermediate Spanish. When trying to speak to my AirBnB hostess in Bilbao, I enlisted the help of a very young man as he sat in a car with his father, who granted permission for him to help me. When the hostess appeared, she and I used Google to talk and that worked!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Galego is not a mixture of Castilian and Portuguese any more than Catalan is a mixture of Castilian and French. It could even be argued that Castilian and Portuguese are derivatives of Galego. But that won’t win you any friends.
How similar are gallego and Portuguese?

It is a language closely related to Portuguese, both of which had virtually the same history until the middle of the 16th century. Despite a divergent history since the Middle Ages, even today Galician and Portuguese are mutually intelligible almost without effort.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I spoke my Latin American Spanish with everyone in Galicia, and surprised the heck out of two shop clerks and some old dudes in a bar when I joined in their galego conversations using my rusty Brasilian Portuguese. Almost everybody who works with tourists speaks English too. You will be fine!

Galego spoken ( not normative) has a lot of Spanish words but surprisingly has a high uniformity across Galicia. For example people say " oito" ( eight) and "oitocentos" ( eighthundred) but also say Spanish " ochenta" ( eighty) when obviously must be " oitenta". And this happens everywhere in Galicia.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Good afternoon, all:

My apologies if this question is answered in another post.

I am walking the Camino Frances in three weeks from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela and would appreciate any advice as to whether it's advisable to learn Galego (Galician) prior to starting the Camino. Do locals on the Camino primarily speak Galego, Spanish, both?

I already speak Spanish (intermediate level, not fluent by any means) but would like to know whether I should learn some Galician as well.

Thank you for any and all advice. Buen camino.
You will get by , they understand many languages on the Camino , the signs may be different ( Basque & Galacian) but understandable

Alexander probably won't see much Basque on his Camino from Sarría.
I'm in Arcade on the Camino Portugues today. Almost everything except bars and restaurants is closed for a public holiday to celebrate Galician language and literature. A huge change since my first Camino when regional languages were actively suppressed, all official signs were in castellano, and you could tell where you were in the country by the way the road signs were defaced with regional spellings. Or in the Basque region completely different words altogether... :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Often you may read that Gallego is a dialect of Portuguese but more accurate would be that the two are sister languages with a common mother (and somewhere in the family is Spanish).
I would probably go one step further and say that Galego is the parent language of Portuguese.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would even dare to mention that (for me at least) Galego is the prettiest language in the world. I just sounds so good.👍

Galego is a kind of mix of Portuguese and Spanish aka Castillano .
Initially I learned Castillano for my work. I used to work in Catalunya .Do not speak Catalán . After my retirement now 15 years ago, as a hobby I started learning
( Brasilian ) Portuguese and did some courses Português Continental aka Portuguese from Portugal.
Now as a volunteer , I teaching Brazilian, Portuguese and Spanish people the Dutch language as I am born and raised Dutch.
One of my pupils is a guy from Muiños nearby Vigo and with him I speak Portuguese and he answers back in Galego what I understand very easy.

As volunteer at the Pilgrims Office in Santiago I speak Portuguese with the professional members and they answer in either Castillano or Galego.

Grammatically Castillano and Portuguese have the same base so it is fairly easy to switch between both languages , anyway that is my opinion but I am raised mulitilingualy.
Most Dutch , next to Dutch also learn English and German at school and some like myself French .
Later doing business in e.g. Argentina and Spain I started learning Castillano .
In my job as salesman in heavy transport trailers I worked during 5 years in Scandinavia and found out that learning Swedish was the easiest and fastest way to make me understandable for my customers in Denmark, Norway , Sweden and a part of Finland. .
That said , use what is the easiest for you, Spanish , I assume you learned , Spanish spoken in the Americas. And the Galegos will understand you perfectly.

Bom caminho or in Galego : Bo camiño 😊
Yes, I learned the Spanish spoken in the Americas, although I wish I'd learned Castillano as well. Gracias para su consejo.

I spoke my Latin American Spanish with everyone in Galicia, and surprised the heck out of two shop clerks and some old dudes in a bar when I joined in their galego conversations using my rusty Brasilian Portuguese. Almost everybody who works with tourists speaks English too. You will be fine!
That's great that you also speak Brasilian Portuguese - I'll admit that I have some trouble with Portuguese for some reason, but I think it's a beautiful language.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm in Arcade on the Camino Portugues today. Almost everything except bars and restaurants is closed for a public holiday to celebrate Galician language and literature. A huge change since my first Camino when regional languages were actively suppressed, all official signs were in castellano, and you could tell where you were in the country by the way the road signs were defaced with regional spellings. Or in the Basque region completely different words altogether... :)
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I have now narrowed my book choice down to two, Patrick Leigh Fermors Roumeli https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/766415.Roumeli Or Anthony Seldons The Path of Peace...
Is there a pilgram mass offered in Astorga? Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back