• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sandals

Gypsyqueen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte April 2018
Wondering if I can buy Teva sandals, particularly Tirra sandals in either Lisbon or Porto ?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just for an opposing view. I took Teva sandals on my first camino. They weigh a lot and weight matters. Ever since then, I take my Crocs Swiftwater Sandals. They weigh only a few ounces but are super sturdy. My first pair clocked over 1000 miles, same for my second. I'm now on my third. I wear them all the time when I'm not wearing regular shoes. You can find them on EBay.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Tevas - yes, a little weighty, but if you love them you won't mind! mine are packed ready for CF early May.
It's what you like and what you are willing to carry. My wife carries 13 pounds, including water, and I'm at 16 pounds, including water and trail food. We average between 16-17 miles per day and are very comfortable, despite bringing up by a long shot the average age of a camino walker.

Even so, on our most recent camino, the Portugues, we began to envy the many walkers who only carried teeny day packs. In fact, we were very much in the minority with everything on our back. We may well say goodbye to the days of being unsupported. Been there, done that...many times.

Obviously, for anyone who is walking the camino supported by luggage transfers, weight doesn't matter.

It's what you like and what you are willing to carry. My wife carries 13 pounds, including water, and I'm at 16 pounds, including water and trail food. We average between 16-17 miles per day and are very comfortable, despite bringing up by a long shot the average age of a camino walker.

Even so, on our most recent camino, the Portugues, we began to envy the many walkers who only carried teeny day packs. In fact, we were very much in the minority with everything on our back. We may well say goodbye to the days of being unsupported. Been there, done that...many times.

Obviously, for anyone who is walking the camino supported by luggage transfers, weight doesn't matter.
I'm definately carrying everything on my back for this, my first Camino! Hopefully I won't regret it but then its all a learning experience isnt it? Btw, I'm also in the upper bracket of age range! Aiming for around 6-7 kgs but its a month away yet & havent done a 'test run' for packing...............
Surprised to read you found most ppl are not carrying everything! Never occurred to me to not actually.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm definately carrying everything on my back for this, my first Camino! Hopefully I won't regret it but then its all a learning experience isnt it? Btw, I'm also in the upper bracket of age range! Aiming for around 6-7 kgs but its a month away yet & havent done a 'test run' for packing...............
Surprised to read you found most ppl are not carrying everything! Never occurred to me to not actually.
It was a surprise, but perhaps that's normal on the Camino Portugues. In all honesty, we rate this camino at the bottom of the list of camino paths we have walked. Crowded, with so many day hikers with day packs. We wisely decided to zigzag between the central and coastal and were rewarded. The coastal is lovely.

We were so nervous on our first camino 10 years ago and we were already retirees. We did plenty of practice caminos and it paid off. We only jettisoned one item along the way: cheap slippers for wearing in the shower. Our sandals did just fine. You are in the sweet spot for weight. My advice in this regard is: 1. Balance your packing. Do not have one side with noticeably more weight. This will strain the nerves on that one side and will cause pain. 2. Don't put all the heavy stuff on the bottom. Balance that as well. If it's all on the bottom, it may cause pain in your hips or spine. 3. Start the day's hike slowly for the first hour till you feel comfortable, adjusting your pack straps as needed to make yourself more comfortable. Once you have everything in order with your muscles warmed up, you will be surprised how quickly you can move. We averaged 17 miles per day on our first camino, the Frances, and at one point, we were heading toward an arrival in Santiago at least 3 days ahead of our plan. So we took breaks in Burgos and Leon. Very wise.

I loved the Camino Portugues.
Saw now difference in numbers of people between the CF and CP who used packtransport.

Happy preparations for your Camino!

Has anybody walked the camino in just sandals ?

Typically I have hiked in Vasque boots but a friend suggested using sandals (Keens)

Thinking of these :

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, after wearing lightweight trail runners on my first two Caminos I switched to hiking sandals only. I have since walked the Norte, Salvador and Portuguese Caminos exclusively in sandals. I prefer an open toe sandals because my toes like the freedom.
I have worn a couple of different styles of Merrell sandals, but they keep discontinuing the styles that I like.

Typically I have hiked in Vasque boots but a friend suggested using sandals (Keens)

Thinking of these :

Yep. I walked the CF last summer wearing Chacos and found them to be perfect for me. I would wear them again.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.