Santiago to Sarria - MonBus, BlaBlaCar or something else??

Rodrigma716

Apr 22, 2024
Florida, USA
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2024
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as we are flying into Santiago and need to get to Sarria to start our Camino. I have booked tickets on the MonBus, for me and my son, but the bus doesn't get into Sarria until just after 1pm, and we plan to start our Camino when we arrive. I see that BlaBlaCar may be a possible option to get us to Sarria much earlier in the day, but I have never hear of it. Since I will be traveling with my 12 year old son, I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on the safety of BlaBlaCar. Is it like an UBER or LYFT? Thanks, in advance for any guidance!

Reactions: Hersghty
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Blintintin

Aug 4, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Frances (2018)
It is a legitimate shared ride program, and very popular and well-used and trusted in Spain, You have to 'enter' the trip you want to take, (date , departure and destination locations, # people, and luggage, etc.) and registered BlaBlaCar drivers who may be travelling the same route, may choose to 'offer' a ride that matches close to yours, and you can choose to express an interest in their offer, and they can choose to accept you or not. Be prepared, because it's not necessarily door-to-door service, rather they often have specific pick up/drop off location suitable to them/their route, and that may not necessarily be close to your exact locations ..so you may need to taxi/walk etc before and after the ride. I have used it only twice, both within Spain and to Portugal, and it worked out brilliantly, (safe, comfortable, good experience, great price, and I was lucky, .by chance their pick up/drop off points were perfect for my needs.) it's well worth the try. LIke Uber and other platforms, you each create a profile, you can review each others profile, and can also rate your driver/passenger.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Rodrigma716

Apr 22, 2024
Florida, USA
May 2024
It is a legitimate shared ride program, and very popular and well-used and trusted in Spain, You have to 'enter' the trip you want to take, (date , departure and destination locations, # people, and luggage, etc.) and registered BlaBlaCar drivers who may be travelling the same route, may choose to 'offer' a ride that matches close to yours, and you can choose to express an interest in their offer, and they can choose to accept you or not. Be prepared, because it's not necessarily door-to-door service, rather they often have specific pick up/drop off location suitable to them/their route, and that may not necessarily be close to your exact locations ..so you may need to taxi/walk etc before and after the ride. I have used it only twice, both within Spain and to Portugal, and it worked out brilliantly, (safe, comfortable, good experience, great price, and I was lucky, .by chance their pick up/drop off points were perfect for my needs.) it's well worth the try. LIke Uber and other platforms, you each create a profile, you can review each others profile, and can also rate your driver/passenger.
Fantastic! Thanks for the information, I will give it a go.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Rodrigma716

Apr 22, 2024
Florida, USA
May 2024
How many days have you planned for the Camino?
We have planned for 6 days. Unfortunately, we have preplanned onward travel that limits our time to spend much more than that on our first official Camino (we were there and did a very short part in 2022). We were also really reluctant to start our Camino on a Friday, so we are planning for a Thursday start. We've been walking and conditioning for months now, so we should be fine with the walking aspect...it just stinks that we are going to have to "rush" our first day. But, hopefully we can get a ride earlier, with a BlaBla Car, so as not to rush things. Thanks!

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: trecile

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
We have planned for 6 days. Unfortunately, we have preplanned onward travel that limits our time to spend much more than that on our first official Camino (we were there and did a very short part in 2022). We were also really reluctant to start our Camino on a Friday, so we are planning for a Thursday start. We've been walking and conditioning for months now, so we should be fine with the walking aspect...it just stinks that we are going to have to "rush" our first day. But, hopefully we can get a ride earlier, with a BlaBla Car, so as not to rush things. Thanks!
Just don't overdo it the first day! Sarria to Santiago is very doable in 5 days, so I hope that you aren't planning to walk far the first day.

Rodrigma716

Apr 22, 2024
Florida, USA
May 2024
Just don't overdo it the first day! Sarria to Santiago is very doable in 5 days, so I hope that you aren't planning to walk far the first day.
Thank you, yes, that is our plan. We are looking forward to enjoying our time and not trying to rush through it. It definitely is a fine balance, for sure.

Reactions: trecile
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Hi , I'm looking for some advice. I'm flying to Madrid and catching a bus to Burgos to walk to León. I'm using a light weight foldable bag for my rucksack & poles but I would rather leave the...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides