The Camino Goose Game?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Kiwi-family

{Rachael, the Mama of the family}
May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
Time of past OR future Camino
walking every day for the rest of my life
This one?

There’s also across stitch pattern available if you want to make your own (I intend to make mine when I eventually do the Francés)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

John Gilliland

The Pilgrim Continues
Jul 14, 2017
🤔 Ummm... @Elainesnider would you mind explaining a bit further for those of us who have no idea what you're talking about? Goose signs?...goose game?...the mind boggles. 🤯 I'm pretty sure it didn't exist when I walked the CF in 2012! 😶‍🌫️ 😄
👣🌏
See The Way of the Goose

Attachments

• 1700883786833.png
    1700883786833.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 54

Tassie Kaz

Sempre Avanti
Jan 11, 2019
Tasmania, Australia
2024?
See The Way of the Goose

View attachment 160455
Thanks John...so it's a book & a game! There you have it...I'd never heard of the goose connection to the Camino before even though it appears well entrenched.

Perhaps I walked with my head in the sand. Oops!...that's a different bird... 😁
👣🌏

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Takahiwai

Oct 11, 2023
Myanmar
1998 Chartres - SdC; 2005 Orleans Camino del Norte
There was a Spanish TV mini-series called 'Camino de Santiago', and starring Imanol Arias, which featured murder and intrigue on the camino, and in which the goose game featured heavily. I watched it while working in La Rioja, so it would have been around 1999 or 2000. Good fun, if you can find it.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
Goose signs?...goose game?...the mind boggles. 🤯 I'm pretty sure it didn't exist when I walked the CF in 2012! 😶‍🌫️ 😄
That's because the Templars invented it but hid their concept so cleverly that everybody thought for centuries it was a traditional board game that became popular in Europe around the 15th to 16th century and spread from Italy to France and Germany and Spain and the rest. Some people figured out the real truth and revealed the game's hidden Camino connection only in the last few decades or so. Finally! 😶

However, as a look around among the offer on the various Amazon sites shows, the Camino Game of the Goose is still a rarity and largely unknown, especially on Amazon.com. On Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.fr, Amazon.es and Amazon.de you find a number of varieties of the Game of the Goose, Jeu de l'Oie, Juego de la Oca and Gänsespiel; some are quite pretty with small wooden geese as game pieces and not cardboard pilgrims. ☺️

Goethe wrote a poem: "Life is a Goose Game" (Das Leben ist ein Gänsespiel).

Last edited:

muddy-mama

Apr 28, 2019
Leicester
2021 CF
2022 CP coastal
This one?

There’s also across stitch pattern available if you want to make your own (I intend to make mine when I eventually do the Francés)
where did you find the xstitch pattern? I would love to do this.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
My Spanish teacher (Maria) once had several of us play the game online (she moved the counters for us) to help us with learning new Spanish words. It is called "El juego de la oca". The game of the goose.
Field #19 on the board - between Santo Domingo de la Calzada and Burgos - made me grin. At first I thought it showed some horror story legend that I did not know but when I rotated the board I saw what it shows:

Albergue.jpg

Kiwi-family

May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog

Elainesnider

Mar 6, 2023
Washington State, USA
09/11/23
This one?

How does one purchase it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
May 5, 2021
My kitchen table (CT,USA)
Inglese 2021
CF started 22022
Thanks John...so it's a book & a game! There you have it...I'd never heard of the goose connection to the Camino before even though it appears well entrenched.

Perhaps I walked with my head in the sand. Oops!...that's a different bird... 😁
👣🌏
The book is really good and goes into the Goose connection from pre Christian Spain and France before the Templars got involved, and where the image's of her showed up in churches along the way, as well the plaza in Logrono.

Last edited:
  • Thank you
Reactions: Tassie Kaz
Jul 8, 2023
Ireland
Vía de la Plata ‘23
Le Puy ‘25
There was a game show on Antena 3 in the 90s called El gran juego de la oca. It was based on a 63 space board. I don’t know which came first the goose or the egg, the tv show or the board game. My memory of it is that it was hours long and a cross between “it’s a knockout” and “fear factor”.

Reactions: SabsP and Kathar1na
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Kiwi-family

May 3, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
solowalk2020.travel.blog
And remember you can go and see the Plaza del Juego de la Oca in Logrono, where a version of the board game is painted onto the ground. Photos of it look underwhelming, but it might be of interest to you!

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Jan 3, 2017
Lancashire UK
Annually - often more - from 2014
It’s more akin to ‘snakes and ladders’ than ludo (that’s ‘parcheesi’ - also very popular in Spain) but widely available and occasionally painted on town squares for full-scale participation

The history of its origins is unclear and disputed. Some combination of the Templars, Illuminati and the Freemasons most likely.

Either that or it’s a simple dice-throwing progression and regression game as found the world over. But that’s, obviously, too simple for wiki.

David Tallan

Staff member
Dec 8, 2013
Toronto, Canada
1989, 2016, 2018, 2023, 2024...
The history of its origins is unclear and disputed. Some combination of the Templars, Illuminati and the Freemasons most likely.
If I remember the interviews correctly (I haven't read the book yet) Beebe Bahrami traces the goose symbolism on the Camino, including the goose game, to some form of pre-Christian goddess worship. That isn't, of course, to say that the Templars, Illuminati, and Freemasons were not vehicles for secretly preserving pre-Christian wisdom.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Mar 18, 2012
European Union
To Santiago + back
2400 km + 950 nmi
160 days
Below is a photo of the Camino de Santiago Game of the Goose board that can be purchased via the link posted earlier. It is a nice idea and fun souvenir. It is distinctly modern.

I'd be curious to know whether there are any older (before say 1980's) boards with a Camino de Santiago theme. I could not find any although there are hundreds of other themes on older boards, with a broad spectrum ranging from military history to railways and children's fairy tales.

The Xacopedia entry for the Juego de la Oca shows a board with a Greek / Antiquity theme and the cover of a recent book (see a previous post) shows a kind of esoteric theme - none appear to be related to the Camino de Santiago. I know that the urban installation on a square in Logroño is also a fairly recent affair with no historical background. Does anyone know anything about older boards for the Game of the Goose with a Santiago de Camino theme or is this a recent invention?

Game of the Goose board theme.jpg

Reactions: SabsP
May 5, 2021
My kitchen table (CT,USA)
Inglese 2021
CF started 22022
Can you please send me the link? I would like to order for Christmas but I don't have paypal
Elaine it is the blue text next to the picture of the game in Kiwi-family's post above. just click on it and it brings you to the website for purchasing.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.