• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The final few kms

Fortyforward

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2023
Hi, I was just revisiting my diary from our first Camino and it reminded me that although our overall experience was phenomenal and remains life changing, our walk between the big SdC sign and the Cathedral were a little flat, just outlying city streets with few (if any) markers and no feeling of celebration, or homecoming, until the point of seeing the cathedral and finding our way there. Even then, lots of our fellow pilgrims were trying to find the right street to get to the cathedral. It was a bit of a blip (although getting there was perfect) We will be coming back - is there a better approach to the cathedral, please?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walk the Sanabres rather than the Frances and enter the city that way? I find that more attractive than the route in from Monte do Gozo. But Santiago is a large city and you have to pass through some "ordinary" Spain before you reach the cathedral whatever route you choose. Like the suburbs of the other major towns along the way it is all just part of the experience.

What @Bradypus says. The Invierno and Sanabres join at A Laxe for the final push to SdC. Hands down the best entrance into the old city streets. As I think @Robo described in one of his videos last year, you’re sort of “tipped into” the old city.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree that the signage could be better, although the irony and comedic value was not lost on me having navigated 500 miles only to get lost in the last mile🤣

I wouldn't describe it as underwhelming though, assuming you navigate to the usual pilgrim entrance to the square down the steps, under the bridge/walls past the lone piper - for me that was quite overwhelming in a good way.

However, perhaps a zip-wire from Monte do Gozo (maybe borrow the one from Portomarin after seismic testing is done) would be a more fitting entrance than the suburban adventure - maybe have the bagpipe music on in those pesky headphones whilst zipping.

Coming in to Santiago off the Sanabres / Invierno.

This short video starts when I was 2 kms from the Cathedral and I had only just entered the Suburbs of Santiago. First sight of the Cathedral! Should give you a good idea of what it's like.

Just watching that video again.
I walked in with 3 other Pilgrims this time.
I had lunch with 2 Pilgrims that I had walked 2 weeks with on the VdlP, but they spilt off at Ponferrada.
Next day I had lunch with 2 other Pilgrims I met on the VdlP.
And in the square I (via Whatsapp) met a dear friend that I met briefly on the Frances.

A totally different ending to all my previous Caminos.

But the original question.
Yes, that entrance to Santiago is really nice.

Last edited:
What @Bradypus says. The Invierno and Sanabres join at A Laxe for the final push to SdC. Hands down the best entrance into the old city streets. As I think @Robo desscribed in one of his videos last year, you’re sorted out ‘tipped into” the old city.

Found the video. See post above...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I was just revisiting my diary from our first Camino and it reminded me that although our overall experience was phenomenal and remains life changing, our walk between the big SdC sign and the Cathedral were a little flat, just outlying city streets with few (if any) markers and no feeling of celebration, or homecoming, until the point of seeing the cathedral and finding our way there. Even then, lots of our fellow pilgrims were trying to find the right street to get to the cathedral. It was a bit of a blip (although getting there was perfect) We will be coming back - is there a better approach to the cathedral, please?
not sure when you walked, but there are definitely signposts with yellow arrows leading you from monte de gozo to the historic city centre (fall 2023), at least at all the major street crossings and intersections. once you are inside the pedestrian area, there's nothing, but who cares? you're there!

...and to some extent one can just follow the crowd of other pilgrims...
... I think I mentioned this on another thread:
At the "big SdC sign" I ran into 3 Pilgrims whom I met in Orisson, then walked with for about a week before separation. After joyful reunion we walked to the cathedral together...but it's all like a blur to me...
We got to Plaza Oibradorio where I was met by my wife and they by the parents of one of them, who were standing together apparently having met each other earlier in the day.
The funny thing was that my wife and the mother quipped at some point "wouldn't it be funny if my husband and your son knew each other?" and immediately dismissed the thought as nearly impossible...
😁

Last spring I walked into Santiago coming from Muxia. It was so much nicer than the uninspiring walk entering from the Frances route, although I liked the Pilgrim statues on the hill near Monte Gozo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last spring I walked into Santiago coming from Muxia. It was so much nicer than the uninspiring walk entering from the Frances route, although I liked the Pilgrim statues on the hill near Monte Gozo.

I wonder if it's possible to 'divert' from the Frances close to Santiago, and go around to enter from a different direction?

Kind of defeats the purpose though.

Just extends the entrance to the city :rolleyes:

On 'exits'.

I loved the way our to Fisterra. Seemed like 10 mins and you are out of the city!

In the fall of 2017 a bridge was closed for maintenance. The entrance route was detoured for what felt like an extra 7 or 8 km. (Likely less, but it felt much longer.)
It definitely wasn't more scenic. It did get us to the cathedral though.
I suppose the urban crawl is just part of the journey. The goal remains the same. How you get there matters less than the fact that you get there.

G

Chrissy - no problem! we just need to put the copy of the same statue on the Muxia path! 😁

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked in at the end of May, 2023. I checked with my better half, definitely an absence of signs and very few shells on the walk into the city, but a few divots in the paths where shells must have been at some stage. Perhaps we missed a turnoff, I found today that the Brierly guide referred to a roundabout and “the other side of the road” - we didn’t cross the road. No piper in the usual spot when we were there but we had a particularly memorable pilgrim mass the next day. We are grateful for the journey, the arrival and the memories

We found the same. Walked in May 17 and struggled to find our way through. We did find it funny that we had walked from St Jean with no issues then failed here. The city was busy that day so may have just been harder to find the way.

There are different approaches from different routes: On the Frances from the west, on the Portugues from the south, on the Ingles from the north, as a few examples.

Myself, I've never been underwhelmed by the last few km. There is the feeling of being swept up in a river of pilgrims. I've always felt that I was part of a river of pilgrims that have walked over the past thousand years and more, but it becomes physically and visibly apparent. For me, the pilgrims have been the route markers. And there is the looking for the first glimpse of the cathedral towers. And then (on the Frances, at least) listening for the pipers and the descent through the tunnel until you are reborn into the Plaza de Obradoiro.

YMMV, of course.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I love that we all have different experiences and they are always our own and real. Many thanks to everyone for your thoughts and feedback, our Camino was certainly such a special part of our life journey thus far. Yeah, we’ll be back (and hopefully we’ll experience the piper next time!). Vai bene, go well, everyone 😊

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back