• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Train Madrid to Leon

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Leon to SDC Sept.2024
Hi everyone! First time pilgrim arriving in September 2024. We will be spending the night in Madrid and then plan to take the train to Leon to start our Camino there.
I have no experience with the trains and upon researching I am only finding a single train leaving Madrid/Chamartin at 20:24, arriving in Leon at 22:22.
I had hoped there would be earlier options. Do they add more times as the date gets closer or should I make a different plan based on the time listed here?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
September is a long way out so it is possible, but the Spanish train system can be complicated to navigate online. Are you looking at the Renfe website? It has a bad reputation but recently I have used it without issues. The other possibility is the bus - Alsa is the biggest company. I would google ´transport Madrid to León and see what comes up. Rome2rio is also a good website to try.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone! First time pilgrim arriving in September 2024. We will be spending the night in Madrid and then plan to take the train to Leon to start our Camino there.
I have no experience with the trains and upon researching I am only finding a single train leaving Madrid/Chamartin at 20:24, arriving in Leon at 22:22.
I had hoped there would be earlier options. Do they add more times as the date gets closer or should I make a different plan based on the time listed here?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
Hi there :) I’m doing the same train trip in Apr and it was the only one available to book for me 3 weeks ago on the recommended Renfe site. I know the arrival timing isn’t great. I’ve opted to stay an extra night in Leon so I can check it out the next day and gear up to head off the following one. Buen Camino to you !

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Summary of everything said above:

1. It's too early to reserve for September. RailEurope let me book for my Sept train last year in about April or May, ahead of Renfe. I don't recommend booking on Renfe from the US...they're quite tempermental about US credit cards.

2. Plenty of options to Leon from Chamartin, which is easier to get to from the airport in Madrid, if that's a concern Atocha is further via light rail (Cercanis).

3. When you do purchase a ticket, pay very strict attention to which train, which number, and if reserved, which coach car and which seat.

4. Like many train stations in Spain, you will pass through a security checkpoint inside the station, and won't be allowed to proceed to the track until a certain number of minutes before the train departs.

5. Buen Camino. ;)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back