• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Via de la Plata - Recumbent...?

iMac23

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept. 24 (maybe...)
Hello,

First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query.

I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my route by bicycle. More specifically, by recumbent bicycle (2 wheels at the front, one at the back) e.g. Google: ICE AdventureHD

My questions are:

1. Has anyone done it?
2. If not, do you think it's possible?
3. What is a realistic time to allow?
4. On cycling generally, where do keep your bike overnight for safety?

Thanks in advance.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think someone posted recently that they were going to do the VdlP by recumbent bike?
Thanks, not only am I new to this forum - I'm new to forums generally (never posted before) - so struggling a bit finding my way around, so to speak. I'll see if I can find the post.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My father-in-law rides a recumbent trike (a Greenspeed) and reckons he wouldn't do a camino on it BUT he's now 93 years old. Maybe he would have considered it a few years ago! I've walked that route and was not consciously thinking about bikes, but generally it would have been ok. There are some long sections of road or wide trails, and often you could choose the road over trails. I'll put up some photos for you to see the terrain and let you decide what you are comfortable with.

IMG_4318.JPG IMG_4412.JPG IMG_4460.JPG IMG_6947.JPG IMG_6966.JPG IMG_6992.JPG IMG_7116.JPG IMG_7160.JPG IMG_7224.JPG

Last edited:
Some paths are wide, some get a bit on the narrow side which could be an issue for a recumbent, but maybe you could take the road at those points

IMG_7515.JPG IMG_7532.JPG IMG_7564.JPG IMG_7907.JPG IMG_7539.JPG IMG_4644.JPG IMG_4650.JPG IMG_4454.JPG IMG_4450.JPG

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And some more for luck...
IMG_7543.JPG IMG_7717.JPG IMG_7786.JPG IMG_8559.JPG

But before you decide it's too hard, check out what joy it brings....
IMG_7725.JPG IMG_7981.JPG (crazy father, crazy son!)

And the father-in-law/Grandpa who was "only" 83 back then and recovering from spinal surgery!
Spain April May (65).JPG

Hello,

First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query.

I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my route by bicycle. More specifically, by recumbent bicycle (2 wheels at the front, one at the back) e.g. Google: ICE AdventureHD

My questions are:

1. Has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance.
1. Has anyone done it? I have walked the whole VdlP.
2. If not, do you think it's possible? Absolutely. Mostly flat, and use the roads on difficult days.
3. What is a realistic time to allow? Only you know: I used 44 days on foot. 16-21 days?
4. On cycling generally, where do keep your bike overnight for safety? Locked in your albergue.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
2. If not, do you think it's possible? Absolutely. Mostly flat, and use the roads on difficult days.
3. What is a realistic time to allow? Only you know: I used 44 days on foot. 16-21 days?
4. On cycling generally, where do keep your bike overnight for safety? Locked in your albergue.
Some albergues will have a place to lock up your bike. Others in a city, may not have space. Just depends. Some let you bring your bike inside and others will not. It will sometimes say in Gronze.com or in an app whether there is space for bikes or not.

Thanks, Alex - really helpful to hear a 1st hand view.
View attachment 166844 View attachment 166845 View attachment 166846 View attachment 166847

View attachment 166848 View attachment 166849 (crazy father, crazy son!)

And the father-in-law/Grandpa who was "only" 83 back then and recovering from spinal surgery!
View attachment 166850
Thanks, those pictures are really helpful. Other than the stepping stones, and the bridge (?!) it looks very possible. Might just need a wee detour in places.

Actually, IMHO, the VdlP must be a perfect place for bicycles. It has large sections of completely flat etappas.

It becomes a bit more hilly on the Sanabres (last section), but nothing extreme. If you find those days scary, just go on the road. It is a great Camino- 2nd after the CF IMHO (for walkers).

On a bicycle you will have a great experience. And lots to see. The VdlP is actually an ancient road, established by the Romans 2000 years ago. It is peppered with historic remains, giving you plenty of ancient wonders to see and visit. Majestic, actually.

My favorite is the city of Merida: A city with the longest Roman bridge outside of Italy, a mostly intact Roman theatre, and much more.

It was established as a retirement centre for pensioned Roman legionaires.

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My father-in-law rides a recumbent trike (a Greenspeed) and reckons he wouldn't do a camino on it BUT he's now 93 years old. Maybe he would have considered it a few years ago! I've walked that route and was not consciously thinking about bikes, but generally it would have been ok. There are some long sections of road or wide trails, and often you could choose the road over trails. I'll put up some photos for you to see the terrain and let you decide what you are comfortable with.

View attachment 166816 View attachment 166817 View attachment 166818 View attachment 166819 View attachment 166820 View attachment 166821 View attachment 166822 View attachment 166823 View attachment 166824
I will be 86 in July , God willing, and using a wheeled walker because of severe balance problem. I have been mulling over whether I could go a Camino with an all terrain walker! I like the idea of the recumbent and wish you well. I am currently awaiting an eye op on 16 April but will keep an eye :) on your postings.

Vaya con Dios

Samarkand

The images above show the walking route which is unlikely to be suitable for a recumbent. Even some of the locals on mountain bikes find the scrubland out of Seville a bit too much to handle. The roadies though use the N630 (Cadiz to Gijon) which runs parallel to the walking route.

Here is a roadie's view of the route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,

My questions are:

1. Has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance.

I have only walked it.
And most sections would be OK on that type of bike.

But what would you do when you can't use the bike because of terrain?

I presume a normal bike is hiked up on one shoulder, or pushed along.
But a recumbent?

Just trying to recall some sections that could be a challenge.

Steep rocky incline for example.
Very narrow path.
Across fields/paddocks.

IMHO, I found the VDLP more than a good challenge on a mountain bike. Although there were many good/easy riding sections, I’m very glad to have had a MTB due to the mud that I had to travel through on numerous occasions. Those sections were tough particularly on a loaded down mountain bike. Glad I had that type of bike for this trek. It might have been different doing more of this Camino by road.

Now on a point made above regarding the amount of time to ride the VDLP. Although I rode it in 12 days, it was really too many miles a day on the trails to thoroughly enjoy this Camino. Like the suggestion made above, 16+ days would be more realistic and what I would do the next time. Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As others have written, it's mostly doable by bike so it will generally be doable by a recumbent trike, what hasn't been discussed is the added difficulties of using a trike. Looking at the ICE Adventure HD it folds, which is good, what's the weight and is it the manual or e-assist model?

A few issues seem obvious; you won't be able to ride single-track nor very rocky sections and any steps will be difficult so you'll have to take the road. Travelling with the bike, getting it to Seville then home from Santiago, is that an issue? The bike folds so overnight storage at the hotel / albergue shouldn't be too much of an issue, take a good Titalium & Kryptoflex cable or similar.

A few websites for you to look at include crazyguyonabike, cyclinguk and cyclechat all have journals / forums / articles on trikes & touring.

As others have written, it's mostly doable by bike so it will generally be doable by a recumbent trike, what hasn't been discussed is the added difficulties of using a trike. Looking at the ICE Adventure HD it folds, which is good, what's the weight and is it the manual or e-assist model?

A few issues seem obvious; you won't be able to ride single-track nor very rocky sections and any steps will be difficult so you'll have to take the road. Travelling with the bike, getting it to Seville then home from Santiago, is that an issue? The bike folds so overnight storage at the hotel / albergue shouldn't be too much of an issue, take a good Titalium & Kryptoflex cable or similar.

A few websites for you to look at include crazyguyonabike, cyclinguk and cyclechat all have journals / forums / articles on trikes & touring.
A myriad of thankees

:)

Samarkand

On every Camino there will be stretches that are best avoided with a bicycle: For the CF, I can think of up and down the Alto del Perdon, up from Castrojeriz, up to Cruz de Ferro, and especially down from there to Molinaseca, up to O cebreiro, and others.

Of course you will have to use some road cycling also on the VdlP, but that said, huge etappas go on straight, flat terrain, ideal for your way of going, and should be a joy for any cyclist. Enjoy, and Buen Camino.

Edit: This website has some information on altitude changes and more: As you can see, it is more or less flat all the way, with a few exceptions, that I am sure you can bypass on the road..

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, consider the cicerone guidebook about cycling the VdlP. It was released two years ago and many possible variations from the main road that is apparently mostly used by road bikes. It has suggestions for accomodations too.

Hello,

My questions are:

1. Has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance.
We are going to do the Via de la Plata in april with a recumbent tandem (just two wheels, Nazca Quetssal). So we don’t have the answers yet:-(

Wow, I rode this way in May 2015 and no wet areas at all till Sanabres when it rained continuously for 3 days...I rode mainly on the national roads and repeated trip again in 2019.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Here's another (older) thread with some links that might help you...
Thanks, again - really helpful material. I'll take a proper look
I have only walked it.
And most sections would be OK on that type of bike.

But what would you do when you can't use the bike because of terrain?

I presume a normal bike is hiked up on one shoulder, or pushed along.
But a recumbent?

Just trying to recall some sections that could be a challenge.

Steep rocky incline for example.
Very narrow path.
Across fields/paddocks.
Thanks, Robo - I suppose that's kind of what I was wonderong. There has been a lot of good info provided today by various folks about route deviations. I just haven't have time to look it properly.

I am assuming I would need to deviate off the actual route to the road ahead of obstacles. Road less travelled, and all that :)

Thanks - travelling with a bike generally is a pain :) However, getting on the flight looks OK, just the practicalities of starting in one place, and leaving from another, and not having a direct flight option eyc.

Quite a lot of logistics to iron out but wanted to get a feel if what I'm thinking is realistic.

Such a depth of material and help being offered which is great.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, again - really helpful material. I'll take a proper look

Thanks, Robo - I suppose that's kind of what I was wondering. There has been a lot of good info provided today by various folks about route deviations. I just haven't have time to look it properly.

I am assuming I would need to deviate off the actual route to the road ahead of obstacles. Road less travelled, and all that :)

Could be tricky at times, as I don't know of any Apps that show the type or condition of the trail.
You might end up back tracking to find an alternate route.

Hello,

Hopefully you will get some replies from first hand experience but I did meet someone on the Via in 2022 who was travelling on the very same type of bicycle. He was impressed with my walking and I was impressed with his cycling.
My questions are:

1. Has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_3637.jpeg
    IMG_3637.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 31
Sorry my text vanished when I posted the photo.
I hope you get some replies from people who have had firsthand experience.
However, I did meet a man on the Via in 2022, who was travelling on just such a bicycle. He was very impressed that I was walking and I was very impressed at his mode of transport.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Attachments

• VDLP Route.jpg
    VDLP Route.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 31

Hi, getting lost in all the posts - but is roughly 50% heavier than your average mountain bike (17kg), and normal/manual version rather than the e-assist.

Hello,

My questions are:

1. Has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance.
I went from Zamora to La Bañeza on a Brompton (two sixteen-inch wheels) with no problem.
You can see the route at
and
I made lots of photos along the way. I could add some to these maps if you would like, but not before Monday.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I went from Zamora to La Bañeza on a Brompton (two sixteen-inch wheels) with no problem.
You can see the route at
and
I made lots of photos along the way. I could add some to these maps if you would like, but not before Monday.
Also, along that much of the route, I don't recall any section too narrow for a three-wheeler, but I have encountered several places on the Francés where shrubbery brushed me on both sides as I passed through walking or biking.

View attachment 166844 View attachment 166845 View attachment 166846 View attachment 166847

View attachment 166848 View attachment 166849 (crazy father, crazy son!)

View attachment 166850
I cannot express enough the joy that your photographs have given me, or my thanks to you for sharing them.
Gerard

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back