• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

VIII Centenary of the Pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi to Santiago de Compostela ( 1214-2014 )

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The identity launched this week by Xacobe0 Galicia

57734_22063.jpg

Last edited:
My brother, who walked the Frances with me this year, is on honeymoon in Italy right now. He was going through Lucca the other day and saw a stand advertising this Camino. He stopped and had a look at the literature and it's about 2,500km in total. Would be a special year to do this one alright.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Article here about it, my Spanish not up to full translation, but essentially, "this is a good thing of significant public interest ! "

http://www.abc.es/local-galicia/201...eregrinacion-francisco-asis-201308301813.html

Edit - here's the google translate...

On the occasion of the eighth centenary of the Pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi at the Galician capital from the Cabinet has given the nod to creating a Interadministrative Commission, in charge of organizing the event, implement the planned activities and get the means of financing will Galicia Tourism Agency.

The Central Government and the Galician Federation of Municipalities and Provinces (Fegamp) despite collaborate on the project, will not assume any financial obligation of that committee. However, the conclusion of the event will enjoy the maximum tax benefits under the Law for the Taxation of Nonprofit Institutions and Fiscal Incentives for Patronage, 2002.

In addition, the celebration of the anniversary of the Pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi (1214-2014) has been declared of "exceptional public interest"

Last edited:
Lamazares Designs Logo of the eighth centenary pilgrimage of St. Francis (google translated see link to original)
10.04.2013 / 23:02 h EFE
Galicia Tourism today unveiled the logo of the eighth centenary of the pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi to Santiago de Compostela, designed by artist Anton Lamazares Lalin.

The logo will accompany the promotional material, graphic and audiovisual designed for the commemoration of the centenary, which will be commemorated in 2014.

Created from a piece of cardboard, represents the Franciscan austerity and written in an alphabet created by the artist called Alphabeto Delphin. Includes legend 'Assisi 800 Compostela' with establishing the brand to celebrate the eighth centenary of the Pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi to Compostela (1214-2014).

The presentation ceremony was attended by the Regional Minister of Culture and Education, Xesús Vázquez Abad, the director of Tourism Galicia, Nava Castro, and the artist himself.

Vazquez Abad stressed in closing ceremony the creator Lalín "represents, as few, the most cultured and universal Galicia, Galicia open to the world," the regional government in a statement.

The artist explained that the logo symbolizes a tribute to the cultures of Europe. "Art said, has to come to the heart through intelligence" and was hopeful that this eighth centenary is "another step in building peace and in Europe."

For his part, the Director of Tourism of Galicia said that since mid Galicia this year marks the eighth anniversary of the pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi to Santiago and that the acts are considered Special Event Public Interest and eligible tax incentives Taxation of Nonprofit Institutions and Fiscal Incentives for Patronage.

Programming the eighth centenary of St. Francis of Assisi began on August 22 with the opening of the exhibition "Pilgrim and New Apostle. San Francisco on the Camino de Santiago", the palace Bonacquisti of Assisi.

In addition, the celebrations include other actions as a collective pilgrimage from Assisi to Santiago and numerous conferences, musical and cultural events and meetings related to the subject Jacobean.

Framed in this program, yesterday was presented "Culture of the Road", a program in collaboration with the Galician Axencia Industries Culturais (AGADIC) and including more than one hundred activities of theater, music, circus and magic in over forty Roads localities in Santiago.

The First International Congress on Pilgrimages and Tourism or International Summit Jacobean Associations, are some relevant quotes from this period in the capital of Galicia.

Related News

I decided against starting a new thread around this little snippet from Mi Camino Tour Facebook Page. I suspect it is a bit of wishful commercial speculation on their part, but still, just imagine if .....
"
Mi Camino Tour
July 16 2013
Francis Pope could visit the Camino de Santiago in 2014 to celebrate the eighth centenary of the pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assis.
The Catholic Church will celebratein 2014 the eighth centenary of the Way of St. Francis of Assisi, the pilgrimage to Santiago. San Francisco would come to Galicia from Asturias, arriving in 1214 to Compostela to found, by all indications, the Franciscan convent.

The fact that Bergoglio has adopted the name of this saint and his example as a reference for his papacy, opens the door to the pontiff's visit to Santiago next year. "

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In addition , Alberto Nunez Feijoo announced Thursday that the Galician capital will host between 17 to September 19, 2014 the first international congress of pilgrimage , organized by the World Tourism Office , under the UN , the Secretary of State for Tourism Galician Axencia and Tourism.

This event is linked to the celebration of the eighth centenary of the pilgrimage of St. Francis of Assisi to Compostela.

Sadly, it seems unlikely that San Francisco ever set foot in Galicia. Neither of his first two biographers (Tommaso da Cellano, who knew him well, or San Bonaventura) mentions the pilgrimage to Santiago. The first certain mention of Saint Francis at Compostela comes in the Actus beati Francisci et sociorum ejus from c1370, almost 150 years after his death.

But it would be lovely to believe he made his abrazo.

Hi Alan

You are inspiring me to research Francis and pilgrimage! Where did you read the information about the rather late first date for Francis' pilgrimage to Santiago?

Thanks

Andy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sadly, it seems unlikely that San Francisco ever set foot in Galicia. Neither of his first two biographers (Tommaso da Cellano, who knew him well, or San Bonaventura) mentions the pilgrimage to Santiago. The first certain mention of Saint Francis at Compostela comes in the Actus beati Francisci et sociorum ejus from c1370, almost 150 years after his death.

But it would be lovely to believe he made his abrazo.

Alan, I've asked the authorities to cancel the VIII Centenary programme of events until someone comes up with photographic evidence, what were they thinking !?

Even photographs of Francis of Assisi on the beach in Barcelona wouldn't stop the unholy alliance of Money and Mythology that drives the faux anniversary industry.

Scholarship doesn't have a chance.

Even photographs of Francis of Assisi on the beach in Barcelona wouldn't stop the unholy alliance of Money and Mythology that drives the faux anniversary industry.

Scholarship doesn't have a chance.
Alan, Bill, thanks for your thoughts. I had placed my trust in Xacobeo Galicia who presumably had some basis for such a significant initiative.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Can anyone tell me if food is available there… anyone stayed recently? Cheers

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back