• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Voice or data only mobile plans

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hola Caminantes,
We are leaving from Brisbane on the 4th May and wanted to know if I would need a voice plus data mobile plan or just data. I was thinking that I might need voice to be able to call the albergues or all of the use WhatsApp?
Also has some one ever calculated how much data they have used while in the Camino? Just average will do.

Gracias and buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might try Roamless which will allow you both (voice calls are 2c per minute in Spain) and you top up as you go, so no need to work out what size data package to buy. I just signed up yesterday. I can send you a referral code which will get you a bonus $3, plus they are currently giving you $5 when you add $20 to your account, and there was an automatic $1.25 discount - so you end up with $30 of data costing you $20 (all US$) If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the code. That goes for anyone actually!

How much data you use will depend on what you do with your phone. Personally my data usage wouldn't be any different to what I use at home, because I would use my phone for similar things.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There are lots and lots of options. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I travel internationally relatively often and for me it is hard to beat the simplicity of a dual SIM phone with one SIM card covering my home number in case one of my banks (that is long established and doesn't use modern technology) wants me to confirm that I am using my credit card by sending me a text message with a four digit code. The other SIM card spot I use for a Vodafone Spain prepay account which gives me 140Gb of data, unlimited local calls and a couple of hundred minutes of International calls and roaming within the EC and the UK for a mere €15 per 28 days.

Of course you may have other requirements or desires.

There are lots and lots of options. You pays your money and takes your choice.

I travel internationally relatively often and for me it is hard to beat the simplicity of a dual SIM phone with one SIM card covering my home number in case one of my banks (that is long established and doesn't use modern technology) wants me to confirm that I am using my credit card by sending me a text message with a four digit code. The other SIM card spot I use for a Vodafone Spain prepay account which gives me 140Gb of data, unlimited local calls and a couple of hundred minutes of International calls and roaming within the EC and the UK for a mere €15 per 28 days.

Of course you may have other requirements or desires.
@DonutANZ - if you go dual SIM and for example keep your NZ 2 Degrees account still going, I'm guessing you would have to pay roaming fees for the NZ account? I wish I was more "tech informed".

I just use data. When I need to call a number that's not on Whatsapp I use an app called Viber to make very inexpensive calls by using their Viber Out credits. $5 (USD) lasts me forever.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Purchase a SIM for $30E when you arrive in Spain airport, they have vending machines or cell kiosk with nice attendant who will activate the card so you are 'good to go' ( maybe this option will be $40E but worth it ) . This will give you as much data and voice that you will ever need ( assuming you do not watch movies on the trail ). As mentioned, 28 day plan, not sure cell call to NZ viable unless you upgrade. If you have a new phone dual SIM capable, I suggest you put NZ plan on ESIM before you go, that leaves SIM slot vacant for travel cell plans.

Hola Caminantes,
We are leaving from Brisbane on the 4th May and wanted to know if I would need a voice plus data mobile plan or just data. I was thinking that I might need voice to be able to call the albergues or all of the use WhatsApp?
Also has some one ever calculated how much data they have used while in the Camino? Just average will do.

Gracias and buen camino
I’m from the US so I’m not sure it’s the same globally - but my provider is AT&T. They have an international plan which is $10 a day unlimited - maxing out at $100 per month. It’s not cheap but I found it to be the easiest way to go, and gave me the freedom of unlimited calling and data so not only could I text/whatsapp pilgrims I met, I could stay in touch with people back home. I’m not sure the pricing is the same as when I walked, but it’s something to consider.

You might try Roamless which will allow you both (voice calls are 2c per minute in Spain) and you top up as you go, so no need to work out what size data package to buy. I just signed up yesterday. I can send you a referral code which will get you a bonus $3, plus they are currently giving you $5 when you add $20 to your account, and there was an automatic $1.25 discount - so you end up with $30 of data costing you $20 (all US$) If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the code. That goes for anyone actually!
Hi,
I'm also interested. Last year I used our AT&t international plan and it ended up being quite expensive. This year , I am considering buying an eSIM with Airalo. Only data, and use WhatsApp to keep my own U.S. number. But another person made a good point about the importance of being able to receive texts or calls from U S. banks in case confirmation is needed for a credit card purchase or in case credit card has been compromised. I could also use AT&T international plan with my own Sim. Not sure how switching from one to the other would work. How do I contact you about the Roamless offers that you mentioned? Sounds interesting. Sorry, I don't know what PM means. Thanks so much.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m from the US so I’m not sure it’s the same globally - but my provider is AT&T. They have an international plan which is $10 a day unlimited - maxing out at $100 per month. It’s not cheap but I found it to be the easiest way to go, and gave me the freedom of unlimited calling and data so not only could I text/whatsapp pilgrims I met, I could stay in touch with people back home. I’m not sure the pricing is the same as when I walked, but it’s something to consider.
I did this as well. It was perfect. Watched my US football games and shared out to smart tv. Never had to worry about a thing. Just figured on $100 per month for two months. Great coverage with their international partners which was mainly Orange.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@DonutANZ - if you go dual SIM and for example keep your NZ 2 Degrees account still going, I'm guessing you would have to pay roaming fees for the NZ account? I wish I was more "tech informed".
No, it is only if I initiate (send) a SMS txt or make a call using my ANZ SIM that there is a cost.

There is no need for me to do that because my Vodafone Spain SIM allows me to do both those things without a cost.

Data is different.

Without going too deep into the technicalities of it, you can only have a single data source at a time and so it is necessary to choose which SIM you will use for data.

Of course, I always use my phone settings to only choose my Vodafone Spain SIM because that is without further costs.

Depending on your type of phone (Android vs Apple) it is relatively simple to set up the settings so that your Kiwi provided SIM is passively listening for incoming phone calls and incoming txt messages but, by default, won't be used for outgoing calls.

Just be careful with txt replies. By default they will use the same SIM card that they came in on and so I need to remind myself to actively choose which SIM card to reply on or, if I can, I switch the conversation to WhatsApp or Signal because they both use data rather than the SMS protocol.

Also be careful with answering incoming phone calls on your Kiwi SIM. Depending on your local provider if you accept an incoming phone call you may be charged international call rates.

What I do is:

1 educate my friends and family not to call me when I am on Camino unless it is an emergency and then to use WhatsApp or Signal data calls if at all possible.

2 Change my missed call message to reflect that I am currently travelling internationally and asking the caller to email me or txt me instead.

3 Train myself to look at which SIM is accepting the call when it comes in (if you look at your screen at the time then it is obvious) and not to accept calls on my Kiwi SIM unless it is from a close family member (see 1 above).

4 Set my phone to Do Not Disturb each night (also polite for other pilgrims in shared accommodation) so that Kiwi calls and txts don't disturb my sleep.

I have the skills and knowledge to do these things using my phone settings. If for some reason you don't or are unsure then I have found that if you purchase your Spanish SIM card from a major network provider in Spain (such as Vodafone Spain but there are also two alternatives who are probably just as good) from one of their branded stores then the person selling the SIM is often willing to help you with setting up your phone to achieve the above.

Edit: I think that you need to turn on "Roaming" within the Kiwi app/ phone account as well as allowing roaming within your phone settings for this to work.

Hi Rachael. Thanks for this info. It's hard to find out much about Roamless on their website and reviews. It seems Roamless currently don't provide a phone number so you still need to use whatsapp for calling and receiving local calls in Spain. Is that right?

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hola Caminantes,

Gracias and buen camino
I’m currently using Holafly eSIM in my iPhone, ATT in the US. I have a 90 day unlimited data plan with 60 mins of tele. I’m using WhatsApp for calls, so far no problems. Leaving from Oloron St Marie on Monday, I’ll update on connections in Spain. So far, I’m pleased. $10 per day on ATT adds up fast, I paid $99 for 90 days. Down side, no sms/mms, you have to do WhatsApp messages.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,
I'm also interested. Last year I used our AT&t international plan and it ended up being quite expensive. This year , I am considering buying an eSIM with Airalo. Only data, and use WhatsApp to keep my own U.S. number. But another person made a good point about the importance of being able to receive texts or calls from U S. banks in case confirmation is needed for a credit card purchase or in case credit card has been compromised. I could also use AT&T international plan with my own Sim. Not sure how switching from one to the other would work. How do I contact you about the Roamless offers that you mentioned? Sounds interesting. Sorry, I don't know what PM means. Thanks so much.
I have sent you a Private Message!

Hi Rachael. Thanks for this info. It's hard to find out much about Roamless on their website and reviews. It seems Roamless currently don't provide a phone number so you still need to use whatsapp for calling and receiving local calls in Spain. Is that right?
I think so - I didn’t actually check. I don’t tend to book in advance and so it is not really an issue for me. I have booked a handful of places for my first week so I can walk really short days - the ones that want confirmation want to use WhatsApp.

No, it is only if I initiate (send) a SMS txt or make a call using my ANZ SIM that there is a cost.

There is no need for me to do that because my Vodafone Spain SIM allows me to do both those things without a cost.

Data is different.

Without going too deep into the technicalities of it, you can only have a single data source at a time and so it is necessary to choose which SIM you will use for data.

Of course, I always use my phone settings to only choose my Vodafone Spain SIM because that is without further costs.

Depending on your type of phone (Android vs Apple) it is relatively simple to set up the settings so that your Kiwi provided SIM is passively listening for incoming phone calls and incoming txt messages but, by default, won't be used for outgoing calls.

Just be careful with txt replies. By default they will use the same SIM card that they came in on and so I need to remind myself to actively choose which SIM card to reply on or, if I can, I switch the conversation to WhatsApp or Signal because they both use data rather than the SMS protocol.

Also be careful with answering incoming phone calls on your Kiwi SIM. Depending on your local provider if you accept an incoming phone call you may be charged international call rates.

What I do is:

1 educate my friends and family not to call me when I am on Camino unless it is an emergency and then to use WhatsApp or Signal data calls if at all possible.

2 Change my missed call message to reflect that I am currently travelling internationally and asking the caller to email me or txt me instead.

3 Train myself to look at which SIM is accepting the call when it comes in (if you look at your screen at the time then it is obvious) and not to accept calls on my Kiwi SIM unless it is from a close family member (see 1 above).

4 Set my phone to Do Not Disturb each night (also polite for other pilgrims in shared accommodation) so that Kiwi calls and txts don't disturb my sleep.

I have the skills and knowledge to do these things using my phone settings. If for some reason you don't or are unsure then I have found that if you purchase your Spanish SIM card from a major network provider in Spain (such as Vodafone Spain but there are also two alternatives who are probably just as good) from one of their branded stores then the person selling the SIM is often willing to help you with setting up your phone to achieve the above.

Edit: I think that you need to turn on "Roaming" within the Kiwi app/ phone account as well as allowing roaming within your phone settings for this to work.
Thanks @DoughnutANZ - some really good information there I hadn't thought of! I bought a new phone yesterday so I feel a bit more "modern" now. Still have to set it up for NZ, then start adding in camino apps and all the little trinkets I think I will need.

Hola Caminantes,

Gracias and buen camino

I ended up with a data only eSIM plan. I used Skype calls for the few local phone calls I made to accomodation. If I booked something I mostly emailed a day or do ahead. Places that were open responded promptly. If I didn’t hear from them it was because they were closed.
I used FaceTime to call home but you can also use WhatsApp as that is data only.
Many people use WhatsApp to contact accommodation but somehow I couldn’t get that to work for me. :(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back