• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why did you do the camino? Help me out!

maeveodnl

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte (May 25-June 22, 2023)
Hi, my name is Maeve :) I am 20 years old (in my third year of college) and I did the Del Norte solo this summer, which really changed my life. One of my favorite things about the camino was the total lack of small talk- because the small talk question was "why are you doing the camino?" and the answer almost always got to some deep part of people's reality, or heart. Relationships fast forwarded, skipping all of the boring formalities and leaving people to just simply connect as human beings. I am working on a project for my college class, collecting people's stories/reasons for doing the camino and using them to create an audio piece, aiming to capture the really distinct humanity of the camino.
So i need your help!!
Email yourcaminostories@gmail.com and tell me why you did the camino, a beautiful experience you had, something you learned- or ask me questions about the project!

i can't wait to hear from you <3
-maeve

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have for many years been interested in existential, philosophical, mythological and religious ideas that have guided people in their lives. I've been reading and travelling a lot. Learning about the camino came fairly late in my life, I was 41. Travelling to Israel and places like that has been a big stepping stone - and then one day a colleague told me about a pilgrimage in Spain she had been on in the late 80's, and I immediately got intrigued. A year later I was in Spain and had the time of my life. The first time I walked up to the cathedral in Santiago was almost like what I experienced the first time I stepped into the church of the holy sepulchre - it was transformative in a sense that is hard to describe. Contrary to the vatican which leaves me absolutely ice cold.

Hi, my name is Maeve :) I am 20 years old (in my third year of college) and I did the Del Norte solo this summer, which really changed my life. One of my favorite things about the camino was the total lack of small talk- because the small talk question was "why are you doing the camino?" and the answer almost always got to some deep part of people's reality, or heart. Relationships fast forwarded, skipping all of the boring formalities and leaving people to just simply connect as human beings. I am working on a project for my college class, collecting people's stories/reasons for doing the camino and using them to create an audio piece, aiming to capture the really distinct humanity of the camino.
So i need your help!!
Email yourcaminostories@gmail.com and tell me why you did the camino, a beautiful experience you had, something you learned- or ask me questions about the project!

-maeve

That would take a book I think Maeve. :rolleyes:
I'll PM you a video link with a story.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
So i need your help!!

-maeve
Adventure.

You leave all of your undone projects, your ongoing relationships, and the constraints of your daily life behind. Life is simple, you have only another day walking to focus on. It's like going on a spiritual retreat, but you see new places, accomplish a positive measurable thing every day, and a experience a culture that's generally supportive of what you are doing. It's an adventure with a spiritual base.

That would take a book I think Maeve. :rolleyes:
I'll PM you a video link with a story.
There is a great book on exactly that question. “Who’s on the Camino?” authored by Danielle Aird. It’s a series of 101 short stories from people who have walk the Camino, their experiences and why they walked. Enjo!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I thought I was going for a two week walk in the countryside - I love walking in nature. Turned out I was a pilgrim. Walking the Camino Francés was like being in a 700 Km ashram.
Now I walk it as a 4-6 week retreat - both spiritual and physical.
The most beautiful, ‘easy’ and cost effective way to get all my ‘ducks (chakras/bones/ muscles/ cells) lined up’ on a regular basis.
And that includes a return flight from Australia.
Happy for you to quote me.
Good luck with your project. ❤️👏🎉

I took the opportuniy to step away from my normal life and look forward to how I could change for the future. Allowed me think carefully a

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Day to day life(work, TV, mortgages, consumerism, bills, etc) for most is one of drudgery......the Camino provides an escape from the drudgery where you can think about everything or absolutely nothing on a historical/spiritual path while interacting with humans in their mostly natural state(walk, eat, drink, bath, sleep, flatulate, etc).

So i need your help!!

-maeve
Fulfill my Personal Legend

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You asked, so here I go...
Why did I go? Because it called. And, it allowed me to expand my horizons in a new way with my best friend and husband of 20+ years. It also allowed me to prove to myself that I could accomplish such a formidable goal at the ripe old age of 50.

What I learned? That the world is full of really good people. When I was at my lowest, my "Danish brothers" picked me up and set me back on my feet. (And Spain has really good food and wine.)

What I enjoyed most? The number of contacts from around the world that I now keep connected to in Whatsapp, or online somehow. Sitting at a table of 21 people from 12 different countries and learning the world from their multiple perspectives. We all stumbled into Fromista after a super hot day, and after chores, we migrated to the bar next door and stared at the outide of the Iglesia San Martin for hours. We only crawled into our bunks after solving all of the worlds problems.

What I disliked the most? The morning after arriving in Santiago and realizing that I didn't have to walk anymore.

Why am I going back? Heading out next year on the Primitivo again for Camino number 5, to gain even more memories with my best friend and husband of 30+ years. And to prove that I can still make it happen at the ripe old age of 60.

What is my greatest takeaway? The Camino makes me a more humane person. That, and kindness is free. Spread that $hit everywhere!!!

Good luck with your project!

Last edited:
I did it for a mix of reasons, just to be out of my daily life (as disabled single mother) and have some time for myself, but also time for prayer and reflection.
Also it was kind if a test about how much is possible to do for me as a wheelchair user. I started in the Neterlands in 2016 and every year I went a bit further (2016 haarlem-den Bosch, 2017 den bosch-maastricht, 2018 Maastricht-Reims, 2019 Reims-Vezelay, 2020 Vezelay-Taizé, 2021 Taizé- Le-Puy-en-Velay, 2022 Le-Puy-en-Velay - Rocamadour).
When I started 2016 in the Netherlands, a very flat country, I was thinking I could not do mountains but after the first small hills in the south of the Netherlands, the ardennes in Belgium and France and than Morvan and massif central I trust I can do the pyrenees as well (will be heavy but doable). The way learn me to trust that everything will be fine (and for everything that go wrong will come a solution like happened many times before).
I look forward to my next stage!

When you are curious about everything that whent wrong and how it got a solution you van check my website.
www.rolstoelpelgrim.nl

Walking the camino restored my faith in humanity. The world is full of good people. Now I am connected to people from around the world via many venues, I feel less isolated. I feel more hopeful.

I dined with 19 people from 8 different countries and shared with them all kinds of stuff. People stuff. Then we all slept together.

I dined with 7 people from 5 different countries. We met up again a week or so later and we all remembered each others names.

I dined with 22 people from 9 countries. We expressed love, support, kindness to each other. Then we slept together.

Laughing hysterically with those I had just met about the silliest stuff imaginable. Especially we found it hilarious that we chose to walk a certain distance that, for us, took us 2 days while a train could get us "there" in 30 minutes.

A very special meal with great food, lots of laughter, and no one saying "I can't eat any more food", or "This is going to make me fat", or "I cant possibly eat dessert" in Santiago with 7 people I had known for only 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 weeks. 8 people from 6 countries.

Walking alone and being very happy.

Singing while walking with mi amiga.

Walking alone alone and wondering why my camino friends had abandoned me. I learned they didnt abandon me. We just all walk differently.

Wondering when I will find my first cup of coffee for the day.

What I disliked the most? The end. The rain. The heat.

Why am I going back? To learn

What is my greatest takeaway? Only one?????????????

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back