• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dash

Hello, to all. I am new to this forum and have been reading as much as possible about the Camino Norte on this site. Previously, I have walked 3 Caminos but never the Norte. This is the one that has intrigued me for the past couple years and now I get the opportunity to do it this April. So I would like to ask you Norte Veterans for some information from your perspective.

The number 3 is something that has followed me my whole life. Specifically 333. So if I could get your recommendations on:

1. The 3 things not to be missed on the Camino Norte.

2. The 3 best Albergues you encountered on your walk.

3. 3 general tips when doing the Norte.

Thanks in advance and buen camino to all 2015 pilgrims.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Dash:

Item 1. This is individual dependent and difficult to answer since we all are attracted to different things.

The people you will meet. The great coastal scenery. The wine, cider and beer.

Item 2. Guemes, Casa Belen, Santa Cruz de Bezana

Item 3. Pack light, start slow, let the Camino be your guide.

Ultreia,
Joe

Reactions: Arn
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Three things not to be missed: the yellow arrow marking the way; the wine that comes with the menu peregrino; and, getting a sello in your credencial every day.

The three best albergues: One kept me dry while it rained; One kept me warm on a cold night; and, One had a comfortable quiet room when I was still desperately jet lagged. Them ones were the best.

3 general tips while 'doing' the norte: eat enough good food, drink enough water, and sleep enough.

1. Don't miss the Alpinista route out of Irun (very cool views especially for a first day), the rockstar hospitalero at Guemes, any Saturday night in a Plaza Mayor (have dinner and drinks with the entire town).

2. Though I mostly stayed in hotels, these Alburgues offered excellent facilities (vending machines for beer and/or communal dinners and/or washer and dryers): Alburgue San Martin in Orio, Guemes, Camping Deva.

3. Tips: 1) If you prefer flying to the bus or train, San Sebastien's airport is really only a 10 minute or so taxi to Irun - You can fly there from Madrid. 2) Hotels can be your friend. 3) I learned this the hard way... if you are going to have the Peregrino meal but you are by yourself, order the water, not the wine. If you choose otherwise and feel obligated to finish the bottle of wine on your own as I did, the next morning can get rough.

Damien

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you Damien. I read your blog and really enjoyed it. Your journey was truly remarkable.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I apologize in advance that my answer does not fit into your "3" thing...
BUT my biggest advice is to E9 it every chance you get!
Fav auberges are my first night about an hour outside of Irun, Pendueles, Casa Belen
My most breathtaking moments were my first day out of Irun, the longer walk I think the day out of Pendueles, where I had to go off of the trail to the right some and the view was amazing. Crossing the highway the day I left St Vincent and walking coast (would not miss that for anything).
The view the day I left Castro....the bench and the little surf area.

A meal not to miss is mentioned in my blog...can not think of the towns name right now and no access to my books from where I am but it was the after the Primitivo split on the Norte.

Favorite town to just lounge around in was Oviedo...I took the detour down to Oviedo to send off a dear Camino friend and went back up to join the Norte.
And when I followed the E9 into Tapia...pretty long detour but like walking in fairy's land.

Buen Camino!
You are for such a special time!

Thanks for the information shefollowsshells. I'm looking forward to walking a lot of the E9 it sounds like the way to go when possible. I love the look the smell and the feel of the ocean. April can't come fast enough.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum