• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Barcelona to Somport

camino07

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances x5, Portuguese VdlP12, Sanabres, Aragones, Norte,Salvador,Primitivo, VdlP 17,Madrid18Norte
I will be starting the Aragones 4th May and would love some advice on getting to Somport from Barcelona. Can I get a bus or train straight from Barcelona or would I be better to go via Pamplona to Jaca first. I hope to walk back from Somport to Canfranc Estacion on the first night.
Another question ..does anyone have a recommendation for a reasonable hotel in Barcelona. I have been looking at Hotel Cortes which looks good.
Hopefully the path will be repaired by May . I am so unfit now and starting to get serious about training .
Heather

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
From the Renfe site:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are trains almost hourly from Barcelona to Zaragoza. The current schedule from Zaragoza to Somport seems to be:
Tren / Recorrido Salida Llegada Duración
15640 REGIONAL 06.40 10.50 4 h. 10 min.
15642 REGIONAL 15.29 19.34 4 h. 05 min.
The fare is 15.25E.

Thanks Falcon for your info. I really couldn't walk from Barcelona. I guess I was thinking Jaca was closer. Gave myself a fright looking at Google earth,the area seems so isolated. Thought I read somewhere that there was a bus from Barcelona to Jaca and then hopefully easy to get to Somport.
I am all booked up now so the Universe will assist me.Fingers crossed!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Bus from Zaragoza to Jaca on ALOSA for 15.80 Euro:

Great info on the buses,thanks Falcon.
Excuse my ignorance of the area but does one have to go through Zaragoza from Barcelona?
If I knew how to end with a blushing smiley I would !!

does one have to go through Zaragoza from Barcelona?
I think so. Generally, in Spain you have to go to the big place to get to the little place! It is "hub and spoke" except between big cities (or if the small place is on the direct route between the big cities). Somport is the "end of the line," so has transit only from the nearest larger place, Jaca for the bus and Zaragoza for the train.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Given a choice between the bus and the train, I'd do the bus!
The buses in Spain are incredibly clean, comfortable, and wonderful for sightseeing!
They also generally get to the destination quicker than the train... although I did enjoy my train ride from Santiago to Vigo and back to Leon in 2009.

Eroski on Somport: Translation by Chrome, so don't blame Eroski!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That site for Jaca is just what I need. You are wonderful Falcon x
Also thanks Annie for your input.I do prefer the bus to see the scenery. I think I am all set now .I will ask Santiago to send some fellow pilgrims.
Heather

Hello from Berlin. I am in the same position if not to say dilemma. My husband and I have booked a flight to Barcelona and we want to get to Jaca or the Somport-Pass somehow. It seems to get difficult. I am glad I found this group and hope to get some advice, too. I can only repeat your last sentences.

Renfe operates a regional train 2 or 3 times per day from Zaragosa to Canfranc International Station. That puts you about 5 km from the frontier (which I assume is the height of land in the pass)
http://www.renfe.com/index.html

There are multiple trains daily from Barcelona to Zaragosa

Bus service Jaca ... I get this when looking for 'estacion de autobuses de Jaca'.
http://alosa.avanzabus.com/index.jsp

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Last year we took early train from Barcelona Sants to Zaragosa then bus to Jaca(,bus station is in same building as train station). Next, bus to Somport arriving around 3pm in time to walk back to Estacion Canfranc to shorten next day's walk.
Aragones is a wonderful Camino I'm sure you will love it!

Most read last week in this forum