• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Chapter to read

KiwiNomad06

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago(2008) Cluny-Conques+prt CF(2012)
I just re-found a chapter about the Camino in a book I have had for a while.

The book is called "Sacred Roads" by Nicholas Shrady, and there are chapters about different pilgrimage walks he has been on, associated with various religions. It includes a chapter on the St James pilgrimage. The version of the book I have is Penguin (Pub 2000) and it was originally published in Viking (1999).

I am not sure when he did the Camino, but he set off from Roncesvalles early one November, and was warned by the monk that he would 'freeze to death' in the mountains of Leon. He certainly encountered serious snows there. He wanted a more solitary experience and it seems like he was one of the few and far between on the road then.

He reflects thoughtfully on his experience and I found this chapter well worth reading.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sounds interesting, KiwinN, I just ordered it from Amazon. Thanks for the info. Here's a review. Best, xm 8)