• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Convento de Cristo - Tomar

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very nice carimbo! (I am pretty sure that's the Portuguese equivalent of "sello." )

For those peregrinos who enjoy visiting historic sites along their Caminos, I would add that Tomar is one of the highlights on the Lisbon-Porto segment. The convent, up above the town, is a wonderful place to visit, and you can see some of the ornate manueline architecture in Helena's link.

And there are other great historic places as well on the camino south of Porto -- Coimbra is the obvious one, with its ancient university, cathedral and old town, but there's also Conimbriga's Roman ruins (about a km or two off the route and well worth a visit), the Roman villa at Rabacal, the ruined royal estate at Cardiga, and the gothic churches in Santarem. And probably a few more places I'm forgetting!

Laurie

Most read last week in this forum