• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

LIVE from the Camino Finally started from Irún

Summary - What did we learn?

I'm at the airport with a bit of time on my hands, so.

Yup - It's hard alright. Day 1 is especially hard if you go over the hill instead of around it. Having gone over, I agree with the assessment in the guides - if it's raining it's safer to go around.

If you manage the first 4 days then you have cracked it. Enjoy the rest of the walk.

In high season the North coast is a magnet for, especially, Spanish holidaymakers. This means that accommodation is tight and that prices are high compared to the Frances.

Everywhere seems to be a surfing venue, add that to general tourism, Peregrinos etc .........

Accommodation and prices ease a bit after Llanes.

It's hard to get a "stage". On the Frances it was quite easy to arrange 20-24km days. Not so on the Norte as there is a good chance there is nowhere to stop at that distance. Or if there is, it will be a small place with competition for beds.

So, it's not uncommon to have a 14km day or a 32km day to make stages work.

There are a lot of unsupported stages so planning is more important than on the Frances where cafes seem to be every couple of Kms .

A lot of asphalt/road/tarmac sections. Sometimes, it's hard walking most of the day.

Way marking is not so good in a lot of places so you have to pay more attention. There are a LOT of options and following the yellow arrows might actually take you away from your planned route.

Lots of ups and downs, not much flat in the first ten days, so it hurts. There seemed to be a lot more injuries to Peregrinos on the Norte so don't rush the coastal paths. Take it a bit slower (perversely) on the tarmac sections or your feet will hurt, a lot.

Consult your GPS map regularly.

We had to make use of the ALSA website for buses due to shin splints. It's easy to use and it worked through the villages too. But check timetables as some buses run once a day and you wouldn't want to arrive 5 mins late.

On the plus side, the scenery is absolutely stunning, with many, many beaches of different character and size - That's why we do the Norte, right?

If you can drag yourself away from menu del día you will find a wonderful assortment of seafood.

And for the vegetarians and vegans out there, I found a lot more options on the Norte. Heck, I even tried it myself a couple of times .

Weather apps have their place, but only as a guide, they are regularly wrong. My app regularly showed storms looming but in the 37 days we took to Santiago de Compostela it only rained on the last day. Unbelievable, but true. Make your daily clothing decisions based on what you see out your window in the morning. .

Enjoy

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good for you on all counts! I arrive Saturday, as my last few stages have been less distance than usual - more in the +/-20km range. So, I lost a day or two somehow. Sorry to have missed you.

Good for you on all counts! I arrive Saturday, as my last few stages have been less distance than usual - more in the +/-20km range. So, I lost a day or two somehow. Sorry to have missed you.
I'm pleased that you are on your penultimate day.

Another tip, if you didn't already know it, is to drop into Pilgrim house, a drop in for Peregrinos. (It's not the Pilgrim Office!)

Google and yea shall find

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I recently did a few stages including this one. Thanks for your notes! I too went into "Easygas" to find empty refrigerators and no refrescos. It felt like, once I turned right in Onton, I was on my own, hardly any arrows, and not a pretty road at all. I was elated to find Cafe Saltacaballo, based on your notes! And I too, went through the (very) supported tunnel and found goat dung everywhere, but no sign of the actual goats! Btw, the stretch from La Arena to Onton was spectacular, on Via Verde...

Thank you, I'm pleased that my notes were of use. Enjoy your Camino

Most read last week in this forum