• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My planning so far, some help is probably needed

Jonathon

I'm planning on walking the Camino Frances, starting around October 2nd with the intention to finish by November 7th (Is this reasonable?)

I'm in the process of figuring out what to pack. First question, I have a lot of luggage with me that I don't want to take on the Camino such as laptop, jeans etc. Is there a service that will take your luggage at the start of the trail and transport it to the end for you to pick up?

My packing list so far...

Light weight backpack
Digital camera (+memory cards, battery and charger)
Phone (+charger)
EU adapter

Wallet
Cards
Passport

(1) Shorts
(1) Long pants
(2) Short sleeve shirts
(1) Long sleeve shirt
(1) Rain jacket (???)
(1) Poncho (???)
(3) Socks
(3) Underwear
(1) Hiking shoes
(1) Flip flops (???)
(1) Hat
(1) Sunglasses

Sunscreen
Antiseptic cream
Lip Balm
Band-aids
Pain killers
Deodorant
Soap
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Floss
Shampoo/conditioner
Towel
Tissues

(3) Plastic bags
I want to pack as light as possible, I know that I really don't need much.

I have a few questions
  • I need to buy long pants for this, should I get lightweight/waterproof ones?
  • Is 1 long sleeve shirt and 2 short sleeve shirts reasonable for October?
  • Do I need a rain jacket AND poncho? Or just a jacket and a poncho? Or a Jacket and a cover for my Backpack?? This is one thing I'm most unsure of...
  • Are water proof hiking shoes recommended for october?
  • Do I need flip flops for the showers? they seem like they would be annoying to bring...
  • I'm I right in assuming that there will be a lot of shops and towns along the way to buy anything absolutely essential that I forget?

Thank you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This seems like a good summer list, but you might want to include a warm outer layer as well as work out your wet weather approach. Consider a fleece, gloves and perhaps a beanie.

You don't list a guidebook. Are you considering walking without one, or is that an oversight?

There are small issues like whether to take both soap and shampoo or use a multi-purpose detergent, tissues vs cloth handkerchiefs, whether to take deodorant at all, etc. I walked in spring, so I will leave more specific autumn advice to others.
On your specific questions:
  • Lightweight pants are an advantage. I walked in long pants in spring, but there were some hardy people walking in shorts on warmer days. Zip-off legs are an option that you might want to investigate. I carry rain pants as well, rather than have waterproof trekking pants, but I have recently seen some good water-resistant trekking pants that might do both jobs.
  • I wear long sleeved shirts for sun protection, so I normally carry two long and a couple of short sleeved technical t-shirts for a base layer and evening wear. You might find October a bit chilly for short sleeves, but otherwise I would recommend only having two shirts, not the three you are suggesting.
  • Many people were using a poncho in spring, but the issue is whether a rain jacket and pants will be part of your layering for warmth. A poncho doesn't really provide an insulating layer, and appears to me to be good in summer, less so at other times.
  • My preference is for waterproof boots. There is plenty of discussion on this matter in the forum if you want to look for it.
  • I took trekking sandals on the Camino, and Salomon techamphibian shoes on St Olav's Way. Wearing something on your feet in communal showers is a good idea, and thongs (aka flip flops, jandals) are as good an option if you don't want to walk in them as well.
  • You will only find camping/trekking outfitters in the major towns, and then not always with a good range. Villages and towns will have small supermarkets, and towns will generally have a pharmacy, but don't expect the smaller ones to have much more.
I am an advocate of trekking poles, irrespective of your age and the weight you might be carrying. There is plenty of discussion on the forum about that if you want to do more research.

My preference is to carry a sleeping bag, but if you are prepared to tough it out with the blankets provided by most albergues, a sleeping sheet is sufficient.

Regards,

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you for such a detailed reply!

I will definitely add gloves and a beanie to my list.

Would you recommend I bring both a fleece and a rain jacket?

I think I might get a rain jacket and not worry about bringing a poncho

Jonathon:

You might like to check out this site http://mermore.blogspot.fr/p/kit-and-tips.html

I leave Roncesvalles on September 24 and hope to arrive in Santiago de Compostela on October 30. My packing list is much like yours, but I am going to use the camera in my iphone, rain jacket, flip flops and gaiters. See you on the Camino.

Buen camino

Jonothan,

I did CF in Apr 2010. I carried a light fleece that I would wear in the morning until it warmed up, and then if it was fine, walked in long pants and long sleeved shirt. I am from Australia, and get plenty of sun without risking sunburn! In other circumstances, I have used a rain jacket rather than carrying a fleece, but not for multi-day walks.
On several days, I had all my layers on to keep warm - base layer t-shirt, trekking shirt, fleece, rain jacket on top, trekking pants and rain pants on the bottom. I found much the same walking St Olav's Way in Norway last year. Most days were in a short-sleeved trekking shirt, but there were days when the rain jacket was on all day. But there was one miserable day where it wasn't really raining, but very windy. I had all layers on top - base-layer, trekking shirt, fleece, light windproof jacket then rain jacket. That was in summer, and while it was only for a couple of hours, it would have been quite miserable if I hadn't been able to layer up.

Only you know how resilient you are in the cold. You may not need as much as I did, or you might be prepared to stop early or take a break rather than walk on. There is no one correct way to approach this.

ps - Santiago67's blog is well worth a read.

Regards,

I keep trying to find out if I am getting the right size [ if there IS such a thing! ] backpack for the 800km trip on the Camino. I just ordered through REI an Osprey Aether 60 and am wondering if a 60 liter pack will suffice for the 5 to 6 weeks I will be hiking? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Osprey Aether 60.jpg
    Osprey Aether 60.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Ah! the one thing I forgot, I'm thinking about just bringing a very light sleeping sheet?
Yikes, at that time of year you'll freeze! Take a sleeping bag, not everywhere has blankets and even if they do I think you'd be cold with just a light sleeping sheet and a blanket.

Ah! the one thing I forgot, I'm thinking about just bringing a very light sleeping sheet?

I hear that many folks are using their shampoo as their "soap" to cut down on weight. I think the flip-flops might cut down on fungus acquired from so many people using showers that may have athlete's foot. If you are purchasing the antimicrobial under cloths and shirts, you may only need one [2] of each; one to wear and a spare depending on the weather. But, what do I know...... I am a newbie at this myself. LOL. Also, bring only a small tube of toothpaste because there are a number of things you can replenish as you run low since there are quite a few pharmacies along "the way".

Most importantly, I hear that it is wise to bring along some bed bug spray [even though you have to hit the little buggers directly, it might keep them off your sheet - sounds like there is quite an infestation of them, especially in the older alberques.

To try to avoid blisters I am planning on using women's short hose as my inner liner inside my thick wool socks and preemptively use large rectangular cloth bandaids on my feet. Blisters and I don't see eye to eye.

But, that's just me.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I keep trying to find out if I am getting the right size [ if there IS such a thing! ] backpack for the 800km trip on the Camino. I just ordered through REI an Osprey Aether 60 and am wondering if a 60 liter pack will suffice for the 5 to 6 weeks I will be hiking? Any thoughts?
I have fit everthing into an Osprey Talon 45, including a light sleeping bag.

Too big from my experience, I used an Osprey Exos 46, and it was 2/3 full, take the items you are packing and bring them to REI to test the bag for the right size, seriously take a look for backpacks in the 28-34 liter range.
I agree with the flip flops for shower use and walking around, the last thing you need are foot fungus issues along with any possible blisters.

Don't pack your stuff in plastic bags, don't be the bag rustler! use some light dry sacks http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/15 to organize your gear. Pain killers? You can buy 600mg Ibuprofen over the counter 40 tablets for 1.95 euro ($2.70 USD). Start your trip with brand new socks, they will be trashed by the end of your camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
ArkBuilder:
I purchased the REI Vagabond Tour 40 travel pack (it is a backpack with hip belt, etc. - just small) - 38 liters - 2.318 cubic inches - dimensions 24.5 x 10 x 7 inches. I got this one because it meets most airline carry-on size requirements - forcing me to pack super light(my super small Marmot NanoWave 45 - 820g/28.9oz sleeping bag on the bottom, 1 pr pants, 2 t-shirts, hat, etc. fill in the remaining space). On the plane I will wear my boots, a light merino wool sweater over a shirt and carry my rain jacket. I am going to make the Vagabond Tour 40 work because I do not want to check a bag.

I have fit everthing into an Osprey Talon 45, including a light sleeping bag.

You must be a very light packer indeed, Zippety!! No offense, but I am not fond of the shape or those graphics on the side of the Talon 45. I almost bought a Osprey Xenith 88 !! Now that is HUGE and way too much for me. You could put a dwarf inside that thing. So, the 60 didn't seem as large after that.

I am suppose to pick up the backpack tomorrow or this week. I will try it on again [ I don't yet have everything that I am going to pack because I won't be leaving until 9/2014 and just training on stairs and long walks for now, as well as using Rosetta Stone and SpanishDict [free on-line learning], and reading 7 books on various aspects of the Camino, such as history, "village to village", guide book, etc as well as trying to keep up with several forums like this one.

I thought the one that Martin Sheen carried in the movie "The Way" was just about right for his size. I wonder how many liters his was? Do you know or can you guess? Great movie, by the way. I've seen it 22 times and have the sound track to put on my shuffle for when I walk alone. Although I am looking forward to the social aspects of this trek. I thought the relationships that "Tom" developed was awesome and really made the movie rather than if he had walked the entire Camino alone [ as was his original intent ].

Thanks for the suggestion and I will keep the slightly smaller size in mind. Don't want to go over 22 lbs. if I can help it. The 30 lbs. they loaded into the backpack I tried on at REI was a bit gruesome. Ugh! However, I will be doing my training with my backpack loaded with a little more than I plan on carrying so that it will seem less once on the Camino.

Thanks!

ArkBuilder:
I purchased the REI Vagabond Tour 40 travel pack (it is a backpack with hip belt, etc. - just small) - 38 liters - 2.318 cubic inches - dimensions 24.5 x 10 x 7 inches. I got this one because it meets most airline carry-on size requirements - forcing me to pack super light(my super small Marmot NanoWave 45 - 820g/28.9oz sleeping bag on the bottom, 1 pr pants, 2 t-shirts, hat, etc. fill in the remaining space). On the plane I will wear my boots, a light merino wool sweater over a shirt and carry my rain jacket. I am going to make the Vagabond Tour 40 work because I do not want to check a bag.

Thank you Santiago_67, I will give it a peek to see how I would like the Vagabond Tour 40.

Okay. I peeked and I REALLY like the Orange and Red one. It looks nice and compact as well as easy to haul and you are right about how it will work on an airplane. However, its missing a few features that I was looking for in a pack, i.e. water bottle mesh holder, walking stick quick stow, and a mesh front for damp things, etc. I had a Harley-Davidson pack about that size with a retroreflective piping around it [ so people can see me better at night if they can not see my strobing 84 LED brake lights ], but it didn't seem big enough for my needs. So, when you see me laying in a ditch on the Camino because I didn't listen, please muffle your laughter as you pass?

Last edited:
A couple of really simple rules of thumb on backpack size:
- for summer you need as many litres as half your walking body weight. Eg, if you're 80kg, you will need a 40li pack.
- for spring or autumn, add 25 to 50%. In the case of our example, between 50 and 60 li might be required.
- round up. If you round down, expect it to be more difficult to pack everything you need to take.

These 'rules' will result in a pack size capable of carrying a 10% of body mass load at a packing density of 200gm/li (summer) or up to 15% (autumn/spring).

If you are going to carry a sleeping bag, add up to 5li.

If you can afford really light gear or are the sort of person who can sleep naked on rock, walk barefoot and catches small animals for food, take off up to 5li.

Regards

You must be a very light packer indeed, Zippety!! No offense, but I am not fond of the shape or those graphics on the side of the Talon 45. I almost bought a Osprey Xenith 88 !! Now that is HUGE and way too much for me. You could put a dwarf inside that thing. So, the 60 didn't seem as large after that.

I

A few thoughts.

I don't know for Osprey but often the published litres are for the medium body length. The large will be a little bigger the small a little smaller. So don't go by the number of litres but actually do a test packing.

Consider what you're getting and not just the size. Access points. Straps and belts. In other words is it easy to use? Easy to carry loaded? Or will you regret the missing features?

You're not going five weeks into the wild. Yes you'll be away for five weeks but you aren't carrying everything into the lonely forest. You're really packing for a series of day trips.

Often the pack maker will list the weight it's designed for. For an extreme example the Gregory Whitney (A LARGE pack) lists a comfort zone of 27lbs. That means it's supposed to be comfortable under that weight.

The smaller Z55 lists 18lbs.

Many people here would tell you the Z55 at 55 litres is too big. Yet it's not really intended to carry your 22lb.

I've no idea how you're hitting 22lbs. My Z55 fully loaded not counting water is around 12lbs I think. Maybe slightly more/less.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A couple of really simple rules of thumb on backpack size:
- for summer you need as many litres as half your walking body weight. Eg, if you're 80kg, you will need a 40li pack.
- for spring or autumn, add 25 to 50%. In the case of our example, between 50 and 60 li might be required.
- round up. If you round down, expect it to be more difficult to pack everything you need to take.

These 'rules' will result in a pack size capable of carrying a 10% of body mass load at a packing density of 200gm/li (summer) or up to 15% (autumn/spring).

If you are going to carry a sleeping bag, add up to 5li.

If you can afford really light gear or are the sort of person who can sleep naked on rock, walk barefoot and catches small animals for food, take off up to 5li.

Regards

Thanks for the helpful tips!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A few thoughts.

I don't know for Osprey but often the published litres are for the medium body length. The large will be a little bigger the small a little smaller. So don't go by the number of litres but actually do a test packing.

Consider what you're getting and not just the size. Access points. Straps and belts. In other words is it easy to use? Easy to carry loaded? Or will you regret the missing features?

You're not going five weeks into the wild. Yes you'll be away for five weeks but you aren't carrying everything into the lonely forest. You're really packing for a series of day trips.

Often the pack maker will list the weight it's designed for. For an extreme example the Gregory Whitney (A LARGE pack) lists a comfort zone of 27lbs. That means it's supposed to be comfortable under that weight.

The smaller Z55 lists 18lbs.

Many people here would tell you the Z55 at 55 litres is too big. Yet it's not really intended to carry your 22lb.

I've no idea how you're hitting 22lbs. My Z55 fully loaded not counting water is around 12lbs I think. Maybe slightly more/less.

Many good ideas and suggestions. Thank you!

In my research I found that 22 lbs was the absolute maximum for most folks, so that's how I came up with this number.

My preference might be to carry a larger pack such as the one I purchased [ REI has an incredible return policy ] to handle bulky but light things, like my U.S. Army goose-down cocoon sleeping bag and keeping my folded-in-half-down-the-middle rolled sleeping pad INSIDE my pack instead of hanging it on the outside lower back, so even though these things may not be extremely heavy, they take up room.

Nevertheless, I will not forget your advice [ I am "reachable" as well as "teachable" ] and when I pick up my backpack I will go through the store and pick out things I would purchase for the trip [ rather than to bring all my stuff to the store ] and pack it to see how heavy it may end up being. Most likely, as many do, I will probably start "whittling" down what I am taking to keep it from torturing me on the trail.

Over the years as I have hitched-hiked around the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, traveled to France, Hungary, Japan and Spain, I always [ truly always ] took twice what I actually used, so I now pack and then take out half of everything I put in and then take a 3rd of this out. Had just what I would use and no more.

Itsjustme

Many good ideas and suggestions. Thank you!

In my research I found that 22 lbs was the absolute maximum for most folks, so that's how I came up with this number.

My preference might be to carry a larger pack such as the one I purchased [ REI has an incredible return policy ] to handle bulky but light things, like my U.S. Army goose-down cocoon sleeping bag and keeping my folded-in-half-down-the-middle rolled sleeping pad INSIDE my pack instead of hanging it on the outside lower back, so even though these things may not be extremely heavy, they take up room.

Nevertheless, I will not forget your advice [ I am "reachable" as well as "teachable" ] and when I pick up my backpack I will go through the store and pick out things I would purchase for the trip [ rather than to bring all my stuff to the store ] and pack it to see how heavy it may end up being. Most likely, as many do, I will probably start "whittling" down what I am taking to keep it from torturing me on the trail.

Over the years as I have hitched-hiked around the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, traveled to France, Hungary, Japan and Spain, I always [ truly always ] took twice what I actually used, so I now pack and then take out half of everything I put in and then take a 3rd of this out. Had just what I would use and no more.

Itsjustme
Very few actually carry their sleeping pad the whole camino, you sleep in a bed, not out on the trail. Albergue Casa Paderborn in Pamplona had 7 various sleeping pads/matresses on the free shelf that people had ditched along with other stuff. The only ones you see carrying sleeping pads are the P100/Touregrino pilgrims in the last 100KM before Santiago.
Find something lighter than a military sleeping bag, I used a silk sleep sack, but a thermalon liner from Snugpak http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/thermalon-liner-military would work in cooler temps along with a blanket from the albergue.

You won't like your bulky sleeping bag in September. You will broil in most albergues even without a sleeping bag.

I have both a 35-40 and a 40-45 Lowe Alpine backpacks. The 40-45 was too large even for my 80-day walk. You don't have to fill a 60L backpack, but your equipment will be rattling around in it. You sound like you have adopted the minimalist attitude, so when you are done with the test packing, I think you will find the Osprey 60 is too much.

Flip flops are single use footwear; great for the shower but nothing else. Consider sandals or Crocs. If you have inconveniently located blisters, you can walk in them. Take about 2 oz. of isopropyl alcohol for your feet after the shower. It sanitizes and dries them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A few thoughts.
NicoZ,

You appear to be misreading the specs. The Whitney spec suggests the comfort zone upper limit is ~27kg or ~60lbs. The same applies to the Z55, where the comfort rating is up to 18kg, not the 18lbs in your post.

18kg would certainly be a heavy load for a Camino, and getting that much clothing into a 55li pack would be a significant challenge. I have found that my Camino gear is almost impossibly tightly packed at around 230gm/li - 190-200gm/li is generally pretty good. Its only when I am lugging a tent, cooking gear and food do I get much above that.

Don't want to go over 22 lbs. if I can help it.
My other rule of thumb about pack sizes is that for a Camino, a 'safe' packing density is about 200gm/li. Your 22lb/10kg load would require a 50li pack. If you were prepared to back tightly, you might reduce that to 45li or a bit less.

Regards,

Thank you Santiago_67, I will give it a peek to see how I would like the Vagabond Tour 40.

Okay. I peeked and I REALLY like the Orange and Red one. It looks nice and compact as well as easy to haul and you are right about how it will work on an airplane. However, its missing a few features that I was looking for in a pack, i.e. water bottle mesh holder, walking stick quick stow, and a mesh front for damp things, etc. I had a Harley-Davidson pack about that size with a retroreflective piping around it [ so people can see me better at night if they can not see my strobing 84 LED brake lights ], but it didn't seem big enough for my needs. So, when you see me laying in a ditch on the Camino because I didn't listen, please muffle your laughter as you pass?

ArkBuilder:

That is the one I got (yellow/orange/red) - cool looking and I thought it might help me be seen by cars and/or fast walkers passing. Seriously, we each have to do what we feel is right for us. As I have read here over and over - walk your own Camino.

~

Thank you all for your sage advice.

I certainly advocate the adage "less is more", especially when it comes to carrying weight 800 km for 5 weeks!

I just wish the features that I REALLY like in the larger packs came in the smaller packs. It would save me from the extra and possibly un-needed weight as well as cash [ the smaller packs obviously are less expensive ].

I appreciate the reminder, Santiago_67, to "walk your own Camino" which we should, but I also don't want to regret having the extra weight nor miss out on those additional features of a larger pack.

Anyone have a crystal ball? LOL.

~

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked last year, Sep 15 to Oct 24. It was hot in the day, but cool (almost cold) in the mornings towards he end. I used the biking Arm Warmers in the morning. They are easy to slip on and then really easy to slip off once the sun came out and it warmed up.

Dan
Blog: www.danscaminotravels.wordpress.com

I walked last year, Sep 15 to Oct 24. It was hot in the day, but cool (almost cold) in the mornings towards he end. I used the biking Arm Warmers in the morning. They are easy to slip on and then really easy to slip off once the sun came out and it warmed up.

Dan
Blog: www.danscaminotravels.wordpress.com

I forgot to comment on bag size. I had a 40L bag last year and it was full. It weighed about 22 lbs (my detailed packing list is in my blog). It was heavy--have to add water and foood. I plan to walk again next year and am looking at 30L packs. Smaller you can go with, the better.

I also used two very lightweight sheets instead of a sleeping bag and found all the albergues had blankets except one or two (used my rain poncho). I also had a lightweight pillowcase which I considered a luxury item but it was nice to have it over the nasty looking albergue pillows (the pillow case and sheets were sprayed with permethrin and had no BB problems).

Thanks for all the replies,

Does anyone have any advice about what I should do with my luggage that I'm not taking on the Camino? Right now I'm thinking that I am going to have to trust a friend in Madrid to look after it...

I forgot to comment on bag size. I had a 40L bag last year and it was full. It weighed about 22 lbs (my detailed packing list is in my blog). It was heavy--have to add water and foood. I plan to walk again next year and am looking at 30L packs. Smaller you can go with, the better.

I also used two very lightweight sheets instead of a sleeping bag and found all the albergues had blankets except one or two (used my rain poncho). I also had a lightweight pillowcase which I considered a luxury item but it was nice to have it over the nasty looking albergue pillows (the pillow case and sheets were sprayed with permethrin and had no BB problems).

Dan:

I enjoyed your blog. Thanks for the Albergue info

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bring a pancho and regular jacket(fleece, or something light) instead of the rainwear outfit. Panchos are so easy to just throw over your body and backpack, and they dont get the space inbetween your back and the backpack wet. Plus they are ultra cute and everyone is doing it ;) and bring flip flops, absolutely. You will want to take your shoes/boots off at the end of the day and walk around town/alberque in something that lets your feet air out, and take pressure off of possible blisters. And pack as lightly as possible! It will save you in the long run. Goodluck! Looks like a good packing list. Oh and earplugs and OTC sleeping pills(advilPM) are an amazing luxury at night, think about adding it if you want a decent night of sleep.

Last edited:
My pack is huge, I bought this last year for going around Europe, and when it was full to the brim of all sorts of useless stuff it was no more than 12kg, and I carried that quite comfortable for long walks trying to locate hostels. Also with another bag on the front of me!! Now I now I will no where near be filling this bag but I decided against buying a new one as when I bought this last year it was full price and I 'know' this bag, its comfortable and I am happy with it.

http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/lowe-alpine-tfx-nuptse-nd60-75-rucksack

My pack is huge, I bought this last year for going around Europe, and when it was full to the brim of all sorts of useless stuff it was no more than 12kg, and I carried that quite comfortable for long walks trying to locate hostels. Also with another bag on the front of me!! Now I now I will no where near be filling this bag but I decided against buying a new one as when I bought this last year it was full price and I 'know' this bag, its comfortable and I am happy with it.
http://www.craigdonmountainsports.com/lowe-alpine-tfx-nuptse-nd60-75-rucksack
I did something similar on the CF in 2010, and wouldn't do it again. That said, I carried a slightly smaller pack (60li Kathmandu Vardo0) on St Olav's Way in 2012 when I needed to carry five days of food at one point, and needed the extra volume for that.

Other than you might be carrying 1/2 kg or so extra weight in your pack because of the extra volume, I think the challenge is maintaining your packing discipline and trimming down the weight. It is so, so tempting to leave something in when there is room to do it.

I had always planned to post some warm clothing after I crossed the Pyrenees. When I did, I sent far more than the clothes I had originally intended to send on as I better understood that those little extras that had been kept in my packing weren't going to be necessary.

Regards,

Last edited:
Thank you for such a detailed reply!

I will definitely add gloves and a beanie to my list.

Would you recommend I bring both a fleece and a rain jacket?

I think I might get a rain jacket and not worry about bringing a poncho
I hiked the Camino starting April 2013. Used poncho after rain came down in sheets between rain jacket and backpack rain cover. I also used fleece often.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back