• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

10 days, how many kilometers?

FriarforLife

Hello Everyone!

I have to say that joining this forum might have been one of the best things I could have done for myself before I embark upon my modest camino. Instead of opting for a guidebook on the camino I chose to buy one reflecting on the meaning and experience of the camino (Following the Milky Way by Elyn Aviva) to help prepare myself which means now I have to do a little more research on my own. However first things first: I am a student studying abroad in Sevilla, Spain. One of the things my uncle told me upon hearing that I would be studying in Spain was that I had to do the Camino. Thus with a little bit of research, stress little, and a lot of interest in doing it I have given myself about 8 days to walk the last stretch of the Camino Frances before I fly home. The more I think about it the more I wish I had set aside more time to walk more but alas reality (and a finite reserve of money) must catch up with me at some point.

I have a few questions I would be immensely grateful for should anyone be kind enough to offer their advice, wisdom, or general good wishes in response. My itinerary is as follows: I land in Santiago de Compostelo on a Saturday around 6 pm and I fly out of Santiago de Compostelo on a Tuesday at 6:55 am ten days later. My plan is to leave my two large suitcases with everything I have to bring back home in either a hostel or another business (I have researched it a little bit- from what I heard it could cost around 3 Euros a day for each bag) while I walk the camino. Then my goal is to take a bus out of Santiago to a city along the route and begin my trek back on foot. I know it may seem a bit backwards but it seemed like it made the most sense back when I booked the plane tickets and there is really nothing I can do now. Thus, I was wondering what would be a good distance to walk per day for a strapping 21 year old such as myself and what would be a logical place to begin my walk (I am praying that the buses will run on Sunday and I will be able to leave Santiago the day after I land). I know that the minimum to receive a compostela is 100 kilometers (making that the town of Sarria I believe) but as of late I have begun to think that I could do more. Hopefully this is where you all come in to play.

I would like to challenge myself but not go overboard where I cannot relax and see the sights along the way. I want to leave room for spontaneous things that may come up but I don't want to be at Santiago in four days wishing I had walked more. I also feel as though I am able bodied- I walk and ride my bike everywhere in Sevilla and I ran track and cross country in high school although I am a little out of shape now. I have no idea though if any of that will matter when it comes to walking part of the Camino. Another concern of mine is what I will have to bring. After reading some previous posts (extremely helpful!!) I realized that many people bring sleeping bags and mats to sleep on. My camino will take place at the end of May and I am not entirely sure how crowded places will be and how it will affect what I will have to bring sleeping wise. My intention though is to do this camino at the bare minimum cost (I am in college this is acceptable right) while at the same time not taking anything away from the camino or harming myself in any way. I just think that with my age and financial situation I haven't and do not plan on having any problem "roughing it up" a little bit more than the average joe. That being said, I plan on packing really light and just using my regular backpack and sturdy, stable all purpose gym shoes. I don't want to sound ignorant but by then I just don't think I am going to be able to sink a lot of money into this, also keep in mind I am only walking for about nine days I am guessing.

So to sum up, after hearing a little bit of what I already know (flight itinerary) and what I would like to accomplish would anyone be able to offer some advice on the following: where to take a bus to from Santiago that would give me a manageable distance for someone in my position and age to walk in about eight to nine days. I figure one full day in Santiago before I leave is a good idea just to relax and should anything happen (keeping the fingers crossed). Also, what is the absolute bare minimum that I should bring as far as sleeping goes? Any other goodwill and wisdom would also be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I posted this in the right place. I look forward to hearing whatever you have to say. Thanks a ton.

Matthias

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a triain from Santiago leaving at 9:25 and arriving Ponferrada at 13:30. If you walked to Cacabellos that afternoon you would be able to make Santiago in 8-9 days without any problem.

If you start in Sarria, and find you were not challenged by the walk to Santiago, you could continue on to Fisterra and get your belly full.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
All good advice. I walked from Ponferrada in winter and you would happily achieve Santiago in the time you have getting a great taste of the Camino Frances. Or you could leave from Sarria, qualify for a Compostela if that is important to you and walk out to Finisterre/Muxia - however they are both accessible by bus and alot of pilgrims who are short of time or tired of walking take that option.

You'll see and account of the etapas from Ponferrada here:

http://johnniewalker-santiago.blogspot. ... %20Frances

Buen Camino

John

After dropping off your excess baggage the day before you could catch the 8am bus to Piedrafita O Cebreiro- gets there at 11h20 (the 9h45 gets there at 13h20) - costs about 16 euro.

Ask the bus driver to drop you off a few km beyond Piedrafita, perhaps at Vega de Valcarce - so that you can walk up the path to O Cebreiro, described in the CSJ guide book as "a beuatiful route up to O Cebreiro, initially through Chestnut woods and then open country and a series of hmalets. only 8km but steep so allow 3 hours." You'll have 170km to walk from Vega to Santiago.

You could pre-book a place at the private albergue in Laguna de Castilla - 9km from Vega and just 2km from Cebreiro. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-la-escuela

The next day you can walk to Triacastela
Laguna – Triacastella
Triacastella – Sarria
Sarria – Portomarín
Portomarín – Palas de Rei
Palas de Rei – Ribadiso
Ribadiso – O Pedrouzo
O Pedrouzo – Santiago

Matthias:

Just finishd walking the Camino Frances on April 25th. I am 61 and set a goal of approximately 25km a day. I think that is a reasonable walk per day. I think you should carry the lightest sleeping bag possible under a pound (no mat required) and just bring what you absolutely need.

Buen Camino
Joe

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you to everyone who responded to my post. Your enthusiasm has really gotten me excited. I have talked to one of my friends who has given me a little bit of advice as well, along with the book I have almost finished. Basically I am considering walking between 150-175 kilometers in 7 days, with the 8th being a full day in Santiago. If I were to walk around 25 kilometers a day that would put me somewhere near Trabedelo or Pradela right? I am kind of assuming that those are smaller towns that do not have bus routes from Santiago, is that correct? If either of these is too difficult to get to then it might just be smarter to take a bus to El Cebreiro and do the 155 kilometers from there. My family back home thinks I am a bit crazy but I can't wait to do this. Thanks again for all the advice!

Sillydoll-

I guess I could just do what you suggested then. That seems to be a happy medium. As of now I think that's what I'll plan on doing. If I have any more questions I'll be sure to let you guys know. If you have any suggestions as far as maps go, that would be a huge help as well. Thanks again.

Matthias

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back