• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2 weeks on the Camino - but which one? (1st time, late summer 2017)

Knoepfchen

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo in August 2017
Hello everyone,

I will (hopefully) be walking my first Camino this August/early September, and while I've done a lot of research on all the possible routes, I can't seem to decide. Luckily, I have no long-distance flights to book, so I can afford to be a bit more spontaneous. I have about two weeks (one day more or less is no problem), and I want to end in Santiago or Fisterra, depending on the route. Sadly, I only have time to do this in summer, which is why I'm ruling out the Via de la Plata right from the get go. As a Northern European, I would probably just melt. As I see it, my options are:

Camino Frances: Leon - Santiago
Camino del Norte: Gijon - Santiago
Camino Portugues: Porto - Fisterra
Camino Primitivo: Oviedo - Santiago

As this is my first Camino and I'll be walking alone, I originally favored the Frances for the whole international social experience as well as the network of albergues etc. But the more I read about it, the more it seems that even early September (still within the Spanish school holidays) might be too crowded for what I'm looking for. I want to share experiences with people at the albergues and maybe even get the chance to walk with others for a few days, but it seems the last two weeks on the Frances in August/September might be closer to constant group walking?

Out of the other three, which one would you say offers the most in terms of nature, views and variety this time of the year? I find the idea of walking along the coast intriguing, but I got the impression that the most beautiful parts of the Norte are towards the beginning rather than the end. And what I saw of the Primitivo was rather awe-inspiring, while the Portuguese seems intriguing because I would get to visit Porto and walk in two different countries.

I've been to Asturias before, so I'm familiar with at least parts of northwestern Spain, but not with the Camino. I'm reasonably fit and not afraid of being by myself, but I'm really looking forward to meeting people as well - just not in throngs while fighting over beds. But maybe I'm exaggerating, and if I were to walk the Frances towards the end of August/early September, it would be much more relaxed already?

Sorry for this very long introductory post. I look forward to your insight - and to my first Camino, which I've been thinking about since 2011.

Thank you in advance!

Anne

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A tricky balancing act but I would say the Primitivo.
No sea but you do pass by a big lake :) Varied scenery with several big hills to add a bit of spice to the trip. Oviedo and Lugo are both interesting towns with a great deal of history behind them. Enough company so you will not feel completely alone but nothing like the insane number of the Frances. And you do get a little taste of the Frances experience after the Frances and the Primitivo merge in Melide. Then you can give heartfelt thanks that you made the right choice after all.

What about Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago, then on to Finisterre/Muxia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello everyone,

I will (hopefully) be walking my first Camino this August/early September, and while I've done a lot of research on all the possible routes, I can't seem to decide. Luckily, I have no long-distance flights to book, so I can afford to be a bit more spontaneous. I have about two weeks (one day more or less is no problem), and I want to end in Santiago or Fisterra, depending on the route. Sadly, I only have time to do this in summer, which is why I'm ruling out the Via de la Plata right from the get go. As a Northern European, I would probably just melt. As I see it, my options are:

Camino Frances: Leon - Santiago
Camino del Norte: Gijon - Santiago
Camino Portugues: Porto - Fisterra
Camino Primitivo: Oviedo - Santiago

As this is my first Camino and I'll be walking alone, I originally favored the Frances for the whole international social experience as well as the network of albergues etc. But the more I read about it, the more it seems that even early September (still within the Spanish school holidays) might be too crowded for what I'm looking for. I want to share experiences with people at the albergues and maybe even get the chance to walk with others for a few days, but it seems the last two weeks on the Frances in August/September might be closer to constant group walking?

Out of the other three, which one would you say offers the most in terms of nature, views and variety this time of the year? I find the idea of walking along the coast intriguing, but I got the impression that the most beautiful parts of the Norte are towards the beginning rather than the end. And what I saw of the Primitivo was rather awe-inspiring, while the Portuguese seems intriguing because I would get to visit Porto and walk in two different countries.

I've been to Asturias before, so I'm familiar with at least parts of northwestern Spain, but not with the Camino. I'm reasonably fit and not afraid of being by myself, but I'm really looking forward to meeting people as well - just not in throngs while fighting over beds. But maybe I'm exaggerating, and if I were to walk the Frances towards the end of August/early September, it would be much more relaxed already?

Sorry for this very long introductory post. I look forward to your insight - and to my first Camino, which I've been thinking about since 2011.

Thank you in advance!

Anne
Hola, Anne,

You already ruled out Invierno and Sanabres?
For Camino de Invierno (starts in Ponferrada) it would be approx.10 days and Camino de Sanabres from Zamora as a good starting point approx.14 days.
Invierno is quite solitary and Sanabres has just the right amount of pilgrims that veer off the Via de la Plata. Both are very good waymarked and English guides are also available.

Happy planning :)

Hi Anne , I would say Porto - Finisterre.

But who am I , you have to make the decission witch route to take.

Wish you well and a Buen Camino,Peter.

Methinks Leon to Santiago. Yes, there are lots of holiday makers walking, but it is easy to walk alone, with others, or a combination of the two. And, CF is such a nice introductory camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you, everyone, for your replies, and apologies my my very late reply. I found it intriguing that none of you recommended the same route, which tells me that I probably can't really make a wrong decision here.

I finally decided on the Primitivo and will start walking next week and am incredibly excited!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings to all. I posted a few days ago stating that I will begin my first Camino in St. Jean-pied-de-Port on 29 August and that I will take it slow and steady to Santiago de Compostela...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
As a new member of the forum who has been reading clandestinely for the past three months or so, I have to say how much I enjoy the entries--not simply for the collective wisdom from all of you...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.