• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

2014 will be my year for the Camino as well...

Rosabella

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
Hi all! I've been reading this Forum for some time now, gathering information and opinions on the Camino. I've backpacked almost all my life, primarily in the Sierra Mountains (California). My earlier backpacking experiences were with my family as we were growing up, but now the majority of my backpacking is solo. "Walking" the Camino isn't intimidating for me, it's the other issues that are "Camino specific" that concern me.... probably one of the biggest being the fact that I understand there will be so many people on the trail and in the albergues; I've always treasured my time alone on the trail.
But I've been reading a number of books on the Camino, and I appreciate how informative this forum has been. I know that walking the Camino will be very different that other hikes that I've done... but they all are. I am going into a new phase of my life, and hiking a new trail with such different experiences to offer seems very appropriate.

I am looking forward to a May-June schedule... and I'm working on my Spanish! :) And, yes, I'll be going solo.

Thank you to all the posters on this forum who've generously shared their experiences. It makes newcomers like me a little less anxious on what to expect.

Rosabella

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Welcome to the forum! Yes, the camino is much different than hiking solo here out west. It's great though. If you do want some alone time I would suggest leaving later in the morning, I did that on some days and was able to have the trail to myself for a bit. The wild flowers are stunning that time of year.

Buen camino,
Ash

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think you will have a great time. There will be plenty of time to be with others and to be on your own as well. Simply allow the Camino to reveal itself to you, and it will be all yours. It seems you'll have the basics down and plenty of trail experience. I'll bet you'll have a wonderful "hike".

Trust in the arrows,
Simeon

Thanks! Ash, I really like your suggestion regarding starting later in the morning.... not only will this my first Camino, it will also my first time in Spain, so I don't want to miss any of the experience by starting before light. I had originally thought about doing the Camino last September but decided to wait 'til this coming May... and one of the reasons was exactly what you stated in your last sentence - the wildflowers.

I must admit that I'd not really heard much about the Camino until I was hiking the John Muir Trail in 2012. My younger son had passed away in 2008, and he loved to backpack on that trail. I was carrying some of his ashes with me, and would occasionally sprinkle some in favorite places along the trail. One day I happened to be talking to another hiker and I mentioned this; he asked if I'd ever watched the movie "The Way". I hadn't, nor had I ever heard of it. He tried to tell me a bit about the story, but he kept getting choked up, and finally told me that I needed to watch it.... that it was my story. When I got home I did watch it, and I understood what he meant. It touched me deeply... and piqued my curiosity.

But I must also admit that when I first read the numbers of people that walked the Camino every year, it made me uncomfortable and I decided that it wasn't for me. But I kept reading.... and the more I read, the more I began to realize this is so much more than "just a walk". We may not all be searching for the same thing, but the draw of Camino seems to find its way into the many hearts. For thousands of years. It is humbling.

"...Simply allow the Camino to reveal itself to you..." - beautiful words Simeon. Thank you.

For hiker/campers the images that go with a backpack are of vistas and campfires. I think the Camino Frances is a walk with pilgrims, not a hike in the country. There are some magnificent vistas, but your memories will be of the people. I find that keeping people in mind keeps my expectations in control. If you must be alone when you hike, I do not think you will enjoy the Camino. If people are an obstacle rather than a purpose, then a hike in the Sierra Nevada will be much more enjoyable. I say, go for the people, stay for the scenery (which gives the religious context a bit of a short shrift). Buen camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
"...There are some magnificent vistas, but your memories will be of the people...." You're right. It's interesting, Falcon, because on all my hikes I've ever done, this comment almost always applies - I've met wonderful people whom I've stayed in touch with on each and every trip. There is a intimate connection with the people that we share these intense, common experiences with.

I very much enjoy the camaraderie of these people... but I'm also a private person, and I'm being honest when I say that there are times that I just need to be alone - I think we all do (in varying degrees) in order to process what we are feeling and experiencing .... why else would so many people choose to do the Camino solo? But I also know that I will find that time when I need it as I'm walking.

"...I find that keeping people in mind keeps my expectations in control..." - very good advice.

why else would so many people choose to do the Camino solo?
1. They cannot find a fellow fool (that they are sure they can abide for a month).
2. They hope to not be solo long.
:)

...betting that others can add reasons

Hi all! I've been reading this Forum for some time now, gathering information and opinions on the Camino. I've backpacked almost all my life, primarily in the Sierra Mountains (California). My earlier backpacking experiences were with my family as we were growing up, but now the majority of my backpacking is solo. "Walking" the Camino isn't intimidating for me, it's the other issues that are "Camino specific" that concern me.... probably one of the biggest being the fact that I understand there will be so many people on the trail and in the albergues; I've always treasured my time alone on the trail.
But I've been reading a number of books on the Camino, and I appreciate how informative this forum has been. I know that walking the Camino will be very different that other hikes that I've done... but they all are. I am going into a new phase of my life, and hiking a new trail with such different experiences to offer seems very appropriate.

I am looking forward to a May-June schedule... and I'm working on my Spanish! :) And, yes, I'll be going solo.

Thank you to all the posters on this forum who've generously shared their experiences. It makes newcomers like me a little less anxious on what to expect.

Rosabella
Hi Rosabella, I too am a solo Hiker/Back packer as well. I know going into the Camino "hike" that it will be different. Very Different. I think that if you set your "head" with that in mind you will be prepared and will enjoy the Camino "hike". It is not to be compared with the AT or the Florida trail etc. I usually hike alone here in the USA on trails that i rarely see anyone else. I have recently started hiking with some groups once a week and that has been a BIG adjustment for me with all the chatter and noise the other hikers make. I have resolved myself to instead ENJOY the social aspect of these types of hikes knowing that I can always just do my solo hikes anytime that I want. Hope this helps..Ed

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings fellow travelers, I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino...
I'll be volunteering in Santiago July 01- July 15 this year with the Camino Companions who offer services for the English speaking pilgrims, announcements at mass, English Mass at the Pilgrim's...
Hi my name is Bryce (Australian) and I’m doing the Camino Frances starting September 15. My wife is 57 years old and was born without her left thigh bone. She can wear a prosthetic leg for very...
Hello✨✨✨✨ I ve just finished my thirty-day walk from San Sebastian and it’s a weird feeling I m going through , a mix of sadness and solitude. I kept afar Icts in the past few days to « see » and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.