25% off Interrail Passes

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese/Frances 2020/Norte 2021
For those European residents who like to add some European Travel onto their Camino, Interrail has come out a a 25% off offer on a number of passes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Jul 1, 2009
Norway
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
For those European residents who like to add some European Travel onto their Camino, Interrail has come out a a 25% off offer on a number of passes.

Or, for those 60+ of age, you can buy the Tarjeta Dorada (gold card) at railway stations in Spain. It gives you a 25% discount on all railway travels inside Spain for a whole year. for 6 € (!) whatever nationality.

Last edited:

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Or, for those 60+ of age, you can buy the Carta Dorada (gold card) at railway stations in Spain. It gives you a 25% discount on all railway travels inside Spain for a whole year. for 6 € (!) whatever nationality.
Yep good shout!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Jul 1, 2009
Norway
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.

OzAnnie

Veteran Member
May 24, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Oct/Nov 2022_Mozarabe from Almeria
Or, for those 60+ of age, you can buy the Tarjeta Dorada (gold card) at railway stations in Spain. It gives you a 25% discount on all railway travels inside Spain for a whole year. for 6 € (!) whatever nationality.
An update : now available for 3 years. 15€
I’m from Australia and bought the 3 yr pass (Tarjeta Dorada) in sept2023. Valid until sept2026. I purchased at the station & they requested payment in cash.

VikingWarrior

May 5, 2021
Gründau-Rothenbergen, Germany
Camino Frances 2022

Last year I bought the two month pass for 50% off and visited 16 countries instead of walking the Camino Frances this past Spring (2023). Now as I am making plans for the Spring of 2024 my Deutsche Bahn app keeps referring me to Interrail because it is a cheaper way to get to southern France.

It is worth noting both France and Spain require reservations in addition to the Interrail passes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Last year I bought the two month pass for 50% off and visited 16 countries instead of walking the Camino Frances this past Spring (2023). Now as I am making plans for the Spring of 2024 my Deutsche Bahn app keeps referring me to Interrail because it is a cheaper way to get to southern France.

It is worth noting both France and Spain require reservations in addition to the Interrail passes.
Indeed! I did the 50% off deal too. What a bargain!!

Yes the reservation fee for the intercity trains is noted! Bit frustrating esp. in Spain as so many of the services ‘hub’ through Madrid and you pay a fee ‘per segment’ rather than ‘per journey’ so Seville to Madrid to Bilbao for example is €20!

Aug 31, 2015

Word is that France, in 2024, will make a 30 day pass available (for unlimited travel) for a very cheap price (I can't remember the exact price but < $50. However, not valid for high speed trains. So watch for this is you have plans to travel France in 2024.

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
Word is that France, in 2024, will make a 30 day pass available (for unlimited travel) for a very cheap price (I can't remember the exact price but < $50. However, not valid for high speed trains. So watch for this is you have plans to travel France in 2024.
Indeed. Sounds a ‘mirror image’ of the current one in Germany that costs €49!

Reactions: VikingWarrior
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

maruska89

Mary C.
Feb 21, 2017
BC, Canada
Porto to SdC-Sept 2017
Camino Frances-Apr/May 2019
That's great news as I will be flying into Lyon, and going to travel to various areas, including the coastal Portuguese, the Tour du Mont Blanc, and visiting relatives in Slovakia. I was debating where my starting point should be as I'm flying in from Vancouver, Canada, but thought more central would be nice. Thanks for the info.

TravellingMan22

Veteran Member
Jul 25, 2023
London
That's great news as I will be flying into Lyon, and going to travel to various areas, including the coastal Portuguese, the Tour du Mont Blanc, and visiting relatives in Slovakia. I was debating where my starting point should be as I'm flying in from Vancouver, Canada, but thought more central would be nice. Thanks for the info.
Yes, but will need to see what the terms and conditions are. Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong, but whilst you didn’t need to be a German resident to get a monthly pass there, you did need to pay from a German bank account. It was also a calendar month pass, renewable monthly. That doesn’t mean France will necessarily do the same things, but I assume the objective is to get people off the roads and onto the trains, especially for shorter journeys, rather than as an incentive for tourists, so it may be a similar set up. I am just guessing though!

Last edited:

maruska89

Mary C.
Feb 21, 2017
BC, Canada
Porto to SdC-Sept 2017
Camino Frances-Apr/May 2019
Yes, but will need to see what the terms and conditions are. Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong, butbwhilst you didn’t need to be a German resident to get a monthly pass there, you did need to pay from a German bank account. It was also a calendar month pass, renewable monthly. That doesn’t mean France will necessarily do the same things, but I assume the objective is to get people off the roads and onto the trains, especially for shorter journeys, rather than as an incentive for tourists, so it may be a similar set up. I am just guessing though!
Thanks,,, that's a good point. Will see what happens.

Reactions: TravellingMan22
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

VikingWarrior

May 5, 2021
Gründau-Rothenbergen, Germany
Camino Frances 2022
Yes, but will need to see what the terms and conditions are. Please, anyone, correct me if I am wrong, butbwhilst you didn’t need to be a German resident to get a monthly pass there, you did need to pay from a German bank account. It was also a calendar month pass, renewable monthly. That doesn’t mean France will necessarily do the same things, but I assume the objective is to get people off the roads and onto the trains, especially for shorter journeys, rather than as an incentive for tourists, so it may be a similar set up. I am just guessing though!
You are correct about the monthly passes in Germany. I'm a German resident, but an American citizen and do not have a German bank account so was unable to sign-up for the new passes whereas the 9 euro monthly passes from last summer allowed me to use my debit card to purchase them through the DB app.

Reactions: TravellingMan22

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
We arrived in Santiago and after searching ways to get back to Pamplona it worked out easier to hire a car . It would mean picking the car up from Santiago airport and leaving it at a hotel in...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Madrid Albergue near airport? I will be going on to Irun/San Sebastian. With thanks, fondly sandi
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides