3 weeks in October. Where to start? Which route to take?

3 weeks in October. Where to start? Which route to take?

• Total voters

tommycamino

Aug 17, 2022
UK
Time of past OR future Camino
October 2022
Hi everyone. A bit of a timeless question and one I've seen before. I have 3 weeks (21 days, maybe 22 to be precise) of walking starting in early October and I'm wondering what might be the best route for me. I am reasonably fit, 28 years old but it would by my first ever Camino.

1) Burgos to Santiago de Compostela
Pros) Sense of achievement in reaching Santiago de Compostela in one continuous journey.
Cons) The Meseta could be a gruelling way to start the Camino.

2) SJPP to Burgos or Sahagún.
Pros) I've heard that the Pyrenees are beautiful. The sense of adventure of starting something new.
Cons) No sense of accomplishment of reaching Santiago de Compostela.

3) SJPP to Santiago de Compostela, skipping a few points on the bus or train
Pros) Sense of achievement in reaching SdC.
Cons) Loss of sense of journey in a continuous walk.

4) León to Finisterre
Pros) Avoids starting on the Meseta. Reaching the sea.
Cons) You're nearly at the end of the road at León. Misses some of the best bits of the Camino Francés.

5) Salvador and then Camino Primitivo
Pros) Should work well in the timeframe. I hear it's stunning.
Cons) It could be hard to find accommodation in October. It might be a shame not to start with the Camino Francés.

From all of the other threads I've read, everyone says to follow your own path. Personally, from a Camino I'm seeking a sense of reflection, achievement and adventure too. I *think* I would like to finish in Santiago de Compostela for that reason.

Thanks in advance for all of your feedback. I'm not even sure I will even be able to find the time but I've been dreaming about walking the Camino for a while now.

Reactions: daleb and DirtAmy
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

SabsP

Veteran Member
Feb 18, 2010
Belgium
some and then more. see my signature.
Hi and welcome on this forum.
Hope you will find lots of information here.

For a first Camino I personally believe the Camino Francés is the best option, certainly in terms of possible stops and places to sleep /eat.

Option 1 Burgos to Santiago appeals the most to me seeing you will have the continuation. Then again I never saw the need to cross from St-Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles.

Why would the meseta be gruelling? IMO the meseta is gorgeous. Seeing you will walk in October it will be less hot too. Perfect for walking.

Happy preparations.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

roving_rufus

Veteran Member
Oct 8, 2012
Ireland
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
My first ever camino was 2 weeks from Leon to Santiago when I was 29 and I really loved that sense of reach SdeC. I didn't feel the need for Muxia or Finiserre. The meseta from Burgos is a reasonable starting point -much easier than the early days from SJPdeP! Just take the first few days slow as others will have built up their stamina and may do longer distances. So I'd plump Burgos to SdC.

Reactions: OzAnnie and SabsP
A selection of Camino Jewellery

tommycamino

Aug 17, 2022
UK
October 2022
My first ever camino was 2 weeks from Leon to Santiago when I was 29 and I really loved that sense of reach SdeC. I didn't feel the need for Muxia or Finiserre. The meseta from Burgos is a reasonable starting point -much easier than the early days from SJPdeP! Just take the first few days slow as others will have built up their stamina and may do longer distances. So I'd plump Burgos to SdC.
Comfortably doable in 3 weeks if your body isn't adapted to the long distances?

Jan 19, 2016
Suburb of Boston, Mass., USA
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019

roving_rufus

Veteran Member
Oct 8, 2012
Ireland
Frances (2013-2015) Portugues (2017-2019) Via Francigena (2018-??) Camino from Ireland (2020-??)
Comfortably doable in 3 weeks if your body isn't adapted to the long distances?
I did Leon to SdeC in less than peak form as had nasty flu less than 2 months before- so was just starting to build up stamina again. I did a few days of 30km but most were 20-25km. Burgos to SdC is possible but an resource I have found helpful planning so you can look at daily distances- first put in start and end points and second page let's you add stages (and easy to play about on this page)

Reactions: trecile
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides