• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

300 km instead of 100?

Actually the rows are reserved for pilgrims with credencial, not with compostela. So it is not necessary to have received acompostela before attending.

Just so :)

Tio Tel

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
I find it interesting (mind you, not for better or for worse, just interesting) how so many of us feel (a bit) more entitled just because we have walked further, or longer, or have slept with less comfort.

In any case, I can understand the concern by those of us that love the Camino regarding pilgrim numbers (ie. more pilgrims means more toilet paper in the bushes, and used, ugh!), specially on the last 112 km of the CF; however, on the other hand, I can understand the Chapter's response as well as this could lead to exclusion and/or a drop in pilgrim numbers.

I am assuming the answer lies somewhere in between and would involve all parties involved, the Church/Chapter by promoting the Catholic and religious meaning of the Camino for those that are on a pilgrimage, the Xunta de Galicia by doing their part regarding services along the way (arguably, they are not), and us pilgrims by not forgetting that we are just guests passing through and that we are really not entitled to anything (not even the bushes) but a bed at the albergue municipal if we have our Credencial de Peregrino and a Compostela if we complete the 100 km.

I find it interesting (mind you, not for better or for worse, just interesting) how so many of us feel (a bit) more entitled just because we have walked further, or longer, or have slept with less comfort.
I suspect that such feelings exist independent of the Compostela! I spent an evening with a group of four through-hikers of the Appalachian Trail. Everything came back to how easy hiking the Camino was, and how the AT was so much more challenging. I suspect they had spent three weeks in the same conversation, and arrived in Santiago without bothering to appreciate what they had just done. I can visualize their Compostelas hanging on the wall with Post-It notes saying, "Too Easy." Attitude is almost the only thing we can control, yet so often we don't. ;)

Change is the only constant; nothing is ever again what it once was. I appreciate St. James and enjoyed the service/Mass in the Cathedral, which is held in honor of the Pilgrims who finish the Camino. "Enjoyed" is an under-statement. I wept like a baby many times during the Mass. Even us poor Heathens who are not of the Catholic Faith can appreciate the Faiths of others. That Mass was a Peak Life Experience for me personally. When I'm standing at the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem I 'm always struck by the reverence of all others in the City there. Many Faiths, all in one place, practicing their own form of prayer and relishing the moment in their own life. I am so proud of my Compostella and I was glad to stand in line for it. Everyone has a different reason for being on the Camino. Attracting people from around the globe for something that might just turn their heart is a Good thing. Let's not "close the door once we have ours." Let's just step aside and allow others their Journey. Buen and Loving Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
let me ask this, do the people that say that the Compostella is just a piece of paper already have one, ?
Of cause the Compostella means something, but the meaning depends on the pilgrims. The Compostella I got after walking from Ferrol (Camino Inglés) means more for me, than the walk from Saint Jean Pied de Port (Camino Francés) because the route from Ferrol was harder to walk (badly marked, I only meet one pilgrim and some loose aggressive dogs).
It is a pity that pilgrims forget the pilgrims rituals in the Cathedral. I have never gone to the office to get the Compostella before huging the statue of Saint James and visiting the grave. Maybe new pilgrims don't know the rituals?
Best time to be in line to get the Compostella is between 12-13.
For me the camino ends in Finesterre and Muxía not in Santiago. The last 4 days walk are less crowded, and it is another kind of camino.

Last edited:
Yup, and 10 days ago there was noone honouring the tomb of Saint-James. I remember when you had to be quick in your prayer by respect for others in line behind you to kneel down for their own prayer. It is not about St-James anymore I'm afraid. At least from the actions I see taken.

I am not sure when you where there or when you have been there but I have never been alone or been where I can say rosery at the tomb of Saint James. I am curtious and move to the side as pilgrims and tourists pay respect to Saint James. Four caminos and a dozen plus visits to the cathedral and I have never had the peace or time to pay homage at the remains of Saint James without feeling hurried ,my prayers are said in front of the alter. I was there ten days ago and it was a busy place, very uncomfortable and hurried as always.

Last edited:
I suspect that such feelings exist independent of the Compostela! I spent an evening with a group of four through-hikers of the Appalachian Trail. Everything came back to how easy hiking the Camino was, and how the AT was so much more challenging. I suspect they had spent three weeks in the same conversation, and arrived in Santiago without bothering to appreciate what they had just done. I can visualize their Compostelas hanging on the wall with Post-It notes saying, "Too Easy." Attitude is almost the only thing we can control, yet so often we don't. ;)
When I have walked the CDT I would simply never compare them. One is wilderness to cross, the Camino is much more personal, spiritual. The only thing that relates is the knowledge that the early pilgrims were crossing wilderness back then as well. I think it can definitely make one appreciate the early souls who left us such a gift.
I however have to emphasize some do find the wilderness spiritual, as one can find the Holy Spirit anywhere.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am not sure when you where there or when you have been there but I have never been alone or been where I can say rosery at the tomb of Saint James. I am curtious and move to the side as pilgrims and tourists pay respect to Saint James. Four caminos and a dozen plus visits to the cathedral and I have never had the peace or time to pay homage at the remains of Saint James without feeling hurried ,my prayers are said in front of the alter. I was there ten days ago and it was a busy place, very uncomfortable and hurried as always.
A few weeks ago my wife and I where there and we where the only ones.We where there at the end of the day.
Wish you well , Peter .

I don't think the Cathedral thinks it is open for debate!!:)
I think that this is not a matter of democratic debate ... we accept, as will be specified. Those who walked 100km still be able to do just that will not get a Compostela. My first thought was, that they can be older or less powerful physically disadvantaged in some way. But - there is no prescribed time walking! and perhaps from the race we will go back on a pilgrimage
PS
my first walk on Camino was race. I do not know why exactly - probably "because so do others - 30km per day" I`m a little embarrassed. Therefore, "I repeat the class." repeatedly ;).
For me, it is a big difference between 25 or 30
each has its own way

Last edited:
let me ask this, do the people that say that the Compostella is just a piece of paper already have one, ?
Yes, it's just a piece of paper and I have 3 however this year I will be walking from Oloron to Santiago to get one for my daughter who commited suicide in 2010. She is the inspiration behind my doing the Camino since 2011. I am one who firmly believes the credentials are a much more treasured possession.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, it's just a piece of paper and I have 3 however this year I will be walking from Oloron to Santiago to get one for my daughter who commited suicide in 2010. She is the inspiration behind my doing the Camino since 2011. I am one who firmly believes the credentials are a much more treasured possession.
Blessings on you Biarritzdon. You carry much more than your pack, and I hope your load will be lightened by your Caminos. My credential sits by my front door, waiting to receive its first stamp, and holding so much promise. It is a reminder that my journey begins soon, and is already a treasured possession.

I am one who firmly believes the credentials are a much more treasured possession.
Same with me. I think I have the compostelas folded up somewhere, but just the other day I was looking through the credentiales and remembering where they came from.

They can make it 1000 or 50 km it would not influence me in walking the camino or waiting in line to get the compostela.
I don't think people, whatever their motivation, make the walk because they want the piece of paper.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nire lagun, I shall add your daughter to my back pack on my Camino this year.

I always say the Camino begins on your doorstep. Don´t miss this opportunity, go to your local church and get your first stamp from it.

Ondo Ibili !
Hi Mendi, I got my first stamp at our local hospital. The hospitals name was " St. Jacobus " , they stil have a room where a pilgrim can sleep.
I wish everybody a blessed Camino, Peter.

I recently read a website written by a 'thru hiker' and one of his posts whom many here will have read was entitled something like...."why the Camino sucks"

My first reaction on reading it was disbelief that the writer had actually walked the Camino at all.

Then.....that he was obviously some kind of idiot....

Then as i read more of his site, and realized he was actually quite sane and had written other material that was quite good.....it dawned on me.....

He walked the Camino thinking it was just another 'hike'. He totally missed the point.

It's not a hike it's a 'pilgrimage'!

Two totally different things buddy!

It you want a challenging hike there would be a list as long as your arm of better places to go!

A bit like going to Brighton Beach in the UK and complaining that the surf is not as good as Sunset Beach Hawaii.

Yeah. .....but people don't go to Brighton to surf dude......

Last edited:
Nire lagun, I shall add your daughter to my back pack on my Camino this year.

I always say the Camino begins on your doorstep. Don´t miss this opportunity, go to your local church and get your first stamp from it.

Ondo Ibili !
Thank you MendiWalker, she has already filled the first side of her credential from Oloron to Logrono this month and her first stamp was from the cathedral in Bayonne, the last church she visited before her passing. She has done the Camino sitting on my shoulder for over 2000 km and has another 300 to go later this summer.
BTW I hope to be able to see you when I am in Bilbao on 15 August.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Personally, I think all the talk of "real pilgrims" and "tourists" a bit sad and somewhat snobbish.

If you're a "real" pilgrim then surely you don't give a damn how far anyone else has walked to get the same recognition?

If you aren't a "real" pilgrim then surely you don't give a damn about the certificate?

I don't care if someone walked 5km from Monte de Gozo or all the way from SJDPP. They chose to walk, they did what they wanted and probably what they thought they were capable of.

The handful of people that set out on foot from their doorsteps are the only ones that have any real claim to an authentic pilgrimage.

I already have one, and may soon have a second and to me they are just pieces of paper,nice to look at if need be,and nice to keep,but thats all,

Personally, I think all the talk of "real pilgrims" and "tourists" a bit sad and somewhat snobbish.

If you're a "real" pilgrim then surely you don't give a damn how far anyone else has walked to get the same recognition?

If you aren't a "real" pilgrim then surely you don't give a damn about the certificate?

I don't care if someone walked 5km from Monte de Gozo or all the way from SJDPP. They chose to walk, they did what they wanted and probably what they thought they were capable of.

The handful of people that set out on foot from their doorsteps are the only ones that have any real claim to an authentic pilgrimage.
Hi Stuart, one thing and that is, you walk from SJPdP and you do not walk all the way. That's my opinion, Peter.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Or they could just eliminate the compostela and/or certificate

I don't think we need to get rid of the Compostela. I'm Catholic and walked for religious reasons. Half I met (walked from Borgos) along the way believed in...nothing (and many said they were not going to the Pilgrim office in Santiago). Why take the Compostela from believers? I entered Santiago on April 26th (yes, know it's low season) and there was not one person in line. Maybe just good timing.

As to distance, I chose to walk 500+ km...it really does not bother me that 100 km is the required distance...though I lean toward those who think 200 km would be a welcome change. I love reading the Form and choose April as it was cool and less people along the Way. Any pilgrim can solve this issue of the "herd"...don't walk in June, July & August. Best to all.

Can someone qualify traffic on the CF? i.e. Does the number of pilgrims / bed races / crowded cheap eateries and so on, increase sharply at the 100k mark?
yes, yes, yes

The 28 international Camino associations that met last week in Santiago have proposed to the Cathedral Chapter to extend the minimum required distance to 300 km. According to them, this would reduce the Summer pilgrim crowds allowing for a more fulfilling experience.

Apparently the Cathedral Chapter did not receive thus proposal with much enthusiasm.
I think it would be a great idea. Last year my two friends and I had a tough time finding accommodation due to the influx of people we had to literally fight for a place and stay in the middle of no where just for a bed. That is why I refused to get a Compostela or visit the Cathedral last year.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think it would be a great idea. Last year my two friends and I had a tough time finding accommodation due to the influx of people we had to literally fight for a place and stay in the middle of no where just for a bed. That is why I refused to get a Compostela or visit the Cathedral last year.
Question, why you walk the Camino in the first place. ? What has the Compostela to do whit not having a place to sleep, Peter.

I'm in Baamonde on the del Norte right now and have just finished a long conversation with the president of the Canadian company of pilgrims. He was not aware of nor present for any vote on this- but confesses that he missed one of the Spanish-focused sessions. He told me that he would not have supported an increase in the requirements.

In essence this entire discussion boils down to placing an undo amount of importance to getting a Compostela rather than to the journey itself. Walk the Camino for its own sake, not for a piece of paper/souvenir.

I've walked through Sarria twice now. The first time was in late June 2008 when I had walked from Le Puy, and my body was feeling quite shattered. The day from Sarria to Portomarin came as a huge shock, with all the crowds of people, and the noise of mobile phones and ghetto blasters, plus it was far hotter (30C+) than I had expected in Galicia. At the end of that day I felt like giving up entirely on the idea of a Compostela, and wanted to just catch buses to Santiago to finish. But fortunately I woke up next morning in a better frame of mind!

At that stage I was feeling a bit resentful about the crowds who had invaded 'my' path. And I found it was wiser not to talk with others about where I had started, or they would 'swoon' about how far it was.

But there was a Spanish family group- two mothers and four teens- who helped me to be more grounded again. They'd started in O'Cebreiro. They had arrived there by taxi late in the day, and didn't qualify for a bed in the full albergue. The hospitaleros helped as much as they could by finding unused pillows etc for them to sleep in the entrance-way outside. It must have been a bitterly cold introduction to their Camino. Next morning they were starting early- no doubt to try and warm up. I was to see them walking every day until Santiago. Their footwear was barely suitable, and they got terrible blisters. But when they arrived in Santiago, their smiles said it all. Their's was perhaps the most joyous arrival I was to witness.

Then in 2012 I was in Sarria again. I had still walked quite a long way- I'd walked 4 weeks in France from Cluny to Conques, then a couple of weeks in Spain- but it had been a 'broken' journey with a rest in the middle, and I still had lots of energy. And this time I was 'ready' for the crowds. Perhaps they weren't quite so 'bad' yet- as it was slightly earlier in the summer. But also I am relieved to note I had become less judgmental.

So when I saw a Spanish couple, middle-aged, in the albergue in Sarria, all dressed in brand new clothing that 'matched'- I knew that their Camino was just as meaningful as mine- perhaps even more so. Their first morning out of Sarria it was pouring with rain, and I met them along the way at a point where they had had to retrace their steps after missing seeing an arrow in the mist/rain. In Portmarin that afternoon they looked exhausted. But when they arrived in Santiago a few days later, it was obvious from their smiles that they had had an experience that 'mattered.

We can get too tied up over 'distance'.
Margaret

The 28 international Camino associations that met last week in Santiago have proposed to the Cathedral Chapter to extend the minimum required distance to 300 km. According to them, this would reduce the Summer pilgrim crowds allowing for a more fulfilling experience.

Apparently the Cathedral Chapter did not receive thus proposal with much enthusiasm.

The three hundred mark would be just about in Leon, I think. What about giving out different compostellas. One for the 100 mark, and one for further?

The three hundred mark would be just about in Leon, I think. What about giving out different compostellas. One for the 100 mark, and one for further?
There's already a Distance Certificate, I believe that the debate has to do more with entitlement and who to blame for the crowding: foreign pilgrims, Spanish pilgrims, professional pilgrims, 5-day pilgrims, cruise ship pilgrims, tour pilgrims, Catholic pilgrims, atheist pilgrims, vegetarian pilgrims, 5-euro-bed pilgrims, i-have-walked-from-france-and-barefoot pilgrims...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What about giving out different compostellas. One for the 100 mark, and one for further?

They have one:
Certificado-de-distancia.jpg

Another option could be: Only 1 Compostella pr. pilgrim.
In Rome you can only get 1.
If you decides to walk a pilgrimage again, the walk must be dedicated and walked in an other persons name (ex. your brother, sister, mother, father, wife, husband or friend).

In Rome you can only get 1.
That may be possible because it looks like there is one person in charge of issuing the Testimonium:

Is there an equivalent of the Compostela?
What is the Testimonium?

The ‘Testimonium’ is the equivalent to the Compostela which is awarded to those who walk to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. There are two kinds of Testimonium. The first is issued by don Bruno Vercesi in St Peter's Basilica (see further details below). It is available only to single or small groups of pilgrims. To qualify walkers and pilgrims on horseback must have covered at least the last 130 km, and cyclists the last 400 km in one journey and have completed the pilgrimage for religious reasons. There is also a certificate available at the Opera Romana Pellegrinaggi for those who do the journey for religious or cultural/historic reasons. The distance requirements are different to the one above - walking pilgrims must have covered the last 100kms. Single or small groups of pilgrims may obtain this certificate from the office on the Via della Concilazione just outside St Peter's Square. However large groups must obtain it from Opera Romana Pellegrinaggi office in the Church of S. Giovanni dei Fiorentini in Via Giulia and not any more from their Offices in St. Peter's Square.

To qualify for the Testimonium issued by Don Bruno the minimum distance to travel for walkers is from Acquapendente (130km) or for cyclists from Lucca (400km) to Rome. Don Bruno Vercesi who provides the Testimonium is there from 9 to 12 every day except Tuesday, finding him is not always easy though (see below). If Don Bruno is not there leave your complete address and photocopy of your pilgrim passport and they will send the Testimonium by post.

After you enter the Basilica go down on the left hand side until you reach the entrance to the museum. Follow the hall until you reach the museum ticket desk and just before it on the left is a roped of passage with a guard. Ask asked to be directed to the Sacristy. There ask the official if he will ring Don Bruno Vercesi and hopefully he will be in his office. He will issue you with the Testimonium and may ask you to write comments about your pilgrimage against the entry of your name in his VF ledger.

It is wise in case Don Bruno is not there to take a photocopy of your 'pilgrim passport' complete with stamps. Make a note of your name and address, and put them together with a stamped addressed envelope along with a letter about your trip in an envelope and address it to don Bruno Vercesi. You can leave it for him at the Sacristy at St Peter's or mail it to him there. He'll get back to you with a Testimonium. Don't worry if it takes quite a while, the Via Francigena isn't Don Bruno's real job so he deals with requests in batches when he gets a chance.

If you are lucky and Don Bruno has the time he may ask if you want to go close to St Peter's tomb to pray. He may take you back into the Basilica and down some steps and past some barriers, to a private little chapel (the Clementine Chapel) - gold leaf on the ceiling and a little altar at the end. He may remove a barrier to look behind the altar to show a slab of red stone and tell you that the bones of St Peter are on the other side of this stone and then pray and read a short passage from the Bible.

P.S. Remember Don Bruno is not available on Tuesdays!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

We just finished walking the Camino Frances - and while a little leery upon reaching Sarria, we ended up meeting the most devout and spiritual pilgrims who only had time to do the final segment. They inspired us all over! Ning

Pilgrimage is much more about the journey than the destination.
For me, the Credencial is analogous to the journey and the Compostela the destination. While I treasure both, the sellos in my credencial have the greatest value and link to my camino experineces.

I found the experience had several mental, physical, and spiritual sections. I found the Sarria-Santiago a huge psychological/social challenge as I adapted to the logistical scarcity (real) and to my over willingness to judge the quality of the 'touragrinos' experience (my internal dialog challenge). I also found the SJPdP to Roncevalles first day walk to be overwhelming physically--but that was as challenge well met by Pamplona. I did not deal nearly as well with the last 100km resource sharing or judging others experience nearly as well. Next camino I will bus from Sarria and skip the compostela--but not the mass, botafumerio, singing nun, Jesse tree, or bumping head with St James to get some of Mateo wisdom.

I'd also note that I attribute the huge surge in Camino popularity more to Shirley Maclaine, Paulo Coelho, Hape Kerkeling, Martin Sheen, and Kim Hyosun than I do to the unintended consequences of Cathedral compostela policies. Marketplace dynamics being what they are, it seems the infrastructure is catching up to the traffic and I think the shortfall there is what bothers Forum members the most .

And I wish the various Pilgrim driven organizations had proposed some kind of Pilgrim Creed based around 'your mother isn't on this Camino so pick up after yourself' and other needed Camino behaviors of pilgrims (donativo does not mean free!) rather than pushing into the Cathedral's policy turf. As a co-worker of mine used to say "stay in your own lane".

Just my personal observations as a pilgrim. YMMV.

€149,-
I have wanted to walk the Camino for a long time. Finally, by next year we will have saved up enough to let us do it. Since neither my wife nor I have ever done even a 5km hike, yet, we are working to build up our condition and ability! We are 76 years and have led sedentary lives -- so we are getting ready for the Camino Ingles -- about 118 km, starting from the landing-steps in Ferrol. But, if the requirement is changed to 300 km -- well, even in the best condition we can possibly hope for by mid-next-year -- neither of us could then be able to complete it! If 300km becomes the new rule the Camino will be out of reach for us. What is the motive behind this proposal? Is there an idea that if you cannot do at least 300 km you are not deserving or worthy of the Camino?

I have wanted to walk the Camino for a long time. Finally, by next year we will have saved up enough to let us do it. Since neither my wife nor I have ever done even a 5km hike, yet, we are working to build up our condition and ability! We are 76 years and have led sedentary lives -- so we are getting ready for the Camino Ingles -- about 118 km, starting from the landing-steps in Ferrol. But, if the requirement is changed to 300 km -- well, even in the best condition we can possibly hope for by mid-next-year -- neither of us could then be able to complete it! If 300km becomes the new rule the Camino will be out of reach for us. What is the motive behind this proposal? Is there an idea that if you cannot do at least 300 km you are not deserving or worthy of the Camino?
1) This proposal isn't going to go through (or at least not anytime soon)
2) I'd suspect that, if it did go through, there would be an exception made for the Ingles, or any official Camino, that is under 300km in its entirety.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There's already a Distance Certificate, I believe that the debate has to do more with entitlement and who to blame for the crowding: foreign pilgrims, Spanish pilgrims, professional pilgrims, 5-day pilgrims, cruise ship pilgrims, tour pilgrims, Catholic pilgrims, atheist pilgrims, vegetarian pilgrims, 5-euro-bed pilgrims, i-have-walked-from-france-and-barefoot pilgrims...
-- on my knees the whole way pilgrims. ;)

I say one credencial and one Compostela per Camino, like we have for the Salvador. More money to be made if not more converts. You want a short Camino head for the Englis or Salvador, a longer one, take your pick.

And BTW, if you read the certificate of distance, it is FAR from secular. Not sure it would mean anything to me if I wasn't Catholic. What I like about is that it's money for the cathedral ( someone has to pay for all those renovations) and that it says I walked from Oviedo to Santiago via tue Primitivo, so it is specific to this path.

Last edited by a moderator:
I say one credencial and one Compostela per Camino, like we have for the Salvador. More money to be made if not more converts. You want a short Camino head for the Englis or Salvador, a longer one, take your pick.

And BTW, if you read the certificate of distance, it is FAR from secular. Not sure it would mean anything to me if I wasn't Catholic. What I like about is that it's money for the cathedral ( someone has to pay for all those renovations) and that it says I walked from Oviedo to Santiago via tue Primitivo, so it is specific to this path.
I am not Catholic, but it still represents my Christian beliefs. If my Compostela were burned up in a house fire, & not my family who cares, but it does represent/remind of a very personal journey.
I was more than happy to pay. As it is a magnificent church, it represents a very good soul, & a very large amount of new souls.
To the young & old 100k is the distance but only you can make it a personal pilgrimage.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am not Catholic, but it still represents my Christian beliefs. If my Compostela were burned up in a house fire, & not my family who cares, but it does represent/remind of a very personal journey.
I was more than happy to pay. As it is a magnificent church, it represents a very good soul, & a very large amount of new souls.
To the young & old 100k is the distance but only you can make it a personal pilgrimage.
So true . Peter .

I was talkinf about the certificate of distance, not the Compostela as there are those who see it as a non religious alterntive to the Compostela. It's,worth reading it.

The certificate of distance is unique to your pilgrimage - the distance being given from your starting place. In 2012 ours gave Tineo to Santiago - we had walked the previous sections in 2010 and wanted our 'unbroken' walk recorded. We also have our Compostelas which do not record that. This year we just asked for the Compostela when we arrived on the Inglés and recorded our start as Ferrol even though we had walked the coast from Ribadeo (not the Norte). So we counted just as peregrinos on the Inglés without trying to fit in a non-existant category. Everyone happy :).

I hope the distance does not change before I get to do the walk, I've just turned 70 and want to do the walk from Sarria,
I probably could walk a longer distance but won't have the time. I will be coming from Australia.

No need to worry about a change the church disagrees with, they control the situation. Besides it is still the same pilgrimage that has existed long before any of this modern communication came along. It is our faith that carries us across oceans & the call to do it.
Have a very special walk!
Keith

I hope the distance does not change before I get to do the walk, I've just turned 70 and want to do the walk from Sarria,
I probably could walk a longer distance but won't have the time. I will be coming from Australia.
Hi Pam , wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
A solution could be any 100 km's other than from Sarria would qualify, thus spreading the economic wealth in Galicia and easing congestion.
Ultreya, Joe
Any 100 km will do. I clarified that quite some time ago when I first ran across comments about Sarria onward. One could start at Santiago de Compostela, walk to Fisterra and then to Muxía [or reverse order] and back to the Cathedral and you would qualify for a Compostela. Perhaps the answer for those concerned about the congestion is to suggest a number of alternative routes that satisfy the rule, though it might take a lot of persuasion for the transportation companies who drop the peregrinos at Sarria to change their offerings.

Any 100 km will do. I clarified that quite some time ago when I first ran across comments about Sarria onward. One could start at Santiago de Compostela, walk to Fisterra and then to Muxía [or reverse order] and back to the Cathedral and you would qualify for a Compostela. Perhaps the answer for those concerned about the congestion is to suggest a number of alternative routes that satisfy the rule, though it might take a lot of persuasion for the transportation companies who drop the peregrinos at Sarria to change their offerings.

Careful Brian - this is not correct and is a mistake some pilgrims make and are then disappointed when the Compostela is refused. To qualify for the Compostela pilgrims need to walk the last 100 kms (or cycle 200kms) TO Santiago.

At the end of the day whether you walk 100km or 1000km, we are all pilgrims and everyone has their own reasons for doing it. I'm not a Catholic but an Anglo Catholic and my reasons for doing the camino are religious, but if others are non believers, then good on them for sharing the camino with me.

If it gets busy after Sarria then so be it, we must realise that everyone has a right to walk the camino.
I look forward to meeting pilgrims on my journey whatever the distance they have travelled, and I feel confident that I'll be able to bed down somewhere for the night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry Brian , that is not correct,Peter.

In any case, I can understand the concern by those of us that love the Camino regarding pilgrim numbers (ie. more pilgrims means more toilet paper in the bushes, and used, ugh!), specially on the last 112 km of the CF; however, on the other hand, I can understand the Chapter's response as well as this could lead to exclusion and/or a drop in pilgrim numbers.

I am assuming the answer lies somewhere in between and would involve all parties involved, the Church/Chapter by promoting the Catholic and religious meaning of the Camino for those that are on a pilgrimage, the Xunta de Galicia by doing their part regarding services along the way (arguably, they are not), and us pilgrims by not forgetting that we are just guests passing through and that we are really not entitled to anything (not even the bushes) but a bed at the albergue municipal if we have our Credencial de Peregrino and a Compostela if we complete the 100 km.

Talk of change. As of now you walk last 100 km or cycle last 200 km. any camino ending in Santiago will qualify. Sarria seems to be only one pushed by travel companies. What about lugo to Santiago or Tui/guy on Portuguese border. Ferrol to Santiago. Enjoy and burn camino. Live and let live

Sarria seems to be only one pushed by travel companies.
I think travel companies have picked Sarria because it is 100km and on the Camino Frances; I don't think Sarria was created by travel companies. It is only in the last four or five years that tour groups were being sold by a large number of travel agencies. The pilgrimage is so self-revealing that a tour group had no appeal until "everyone" wanted to walk it. Large numbers of Spanish have always started in Sarria, and they do not use tour companies. There are no statistics that I know of, but tours starting in Sarria probably do not provide a large percentage of the pilgrims. I have never met a tour group, actually, though I have seen bicycle chase vehicles, and the occasional van picking up stragglers, who probably were a "tour group". I have a friend who was part of a tour group, but conceals the fact from most who inquire about her walk!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Careful Brian - this is not correct and is a mistake some pilgrims make and are then disappointed when the Compostela is refused. To qualify for the Compostela pilgrims need to walk the last 100 kms (or cycle 200kms) TO Santiago.
Well, I specifically worded my question to clarify that and was informed it was acceptable. What is the difference between walking 1oo km TO Santiago from Fisterra via Muxía, and walking 100 km TO Santiago from Sarria, as long as it ends at the Cathedral?

I would like to see it at 200km, from Ponfrada not Sarria. I think 300 km is too much but 100 km not enough. IMHO.

I would like to see it at 200km, from Ponfrada not Sarria. I think 300 km is too much but 100 km not enough. IMHO.
As has been said elsewhere on this thread this would cut out the Camino Inglés and affect less able pilgrims. What is seen as working for the Camino Francés is not right for all (Caminos or pilgrims). Our Camino(s) this year came to a total of 280kms and we had a central 'gap' which would have been impossible for us to walk as there is neither food nor accomodation for at least 40kms. We are glad that the Cathedral is not receptive to the idea, the only other solution would seem to be to stop having any minimum distance (as @JohnnieWalker posted). No doubt some 'long distance' walkers will feel that is not 'fair' either but if there is a qualifying distance, measured outwards from Santiago itself, then 100kms seems to be fair to all. :)

Hello Pam, you don’t have to worry it stay's like it is. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

@mvanert, it is entirely a personal decision how far to walk or ride on one's individual pilgrimage in order to achieve your personal goals. I am sure people walk quite happily from A Coruna on the Camino Ingles, and accept that they will not get a compostela when they reach Santiago. If you feel you personally need to walk at least 200km, that is not a particularly good reason others who feel they can achieve their goals in 100 km should be excluded from getting the recognition of the compostela.

We were in the cathedral in mid May this year and we had to queue up for both the tomb and for the statue over the high altar. I guess some days are busier than others.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear Friends,

I was just going to book my flight and train tickets when I come across articles about the proposal to extend the minimum required distance to 300 km.

I intend to do my very first camino next year (May) from Ponferrada. That will be less than the said 300km.

http://xornal21.com/not/11423/las-r...de-100-a-300-km-para-obtener-la-compostelana/

http://icietlanature.blogspot.com.mt/2015/12/300-km-instead-of-100-km-to-get.html

Is this a proposal for the time being or do you think it will be enacted by May? It would be nice to return back with a Compostelana .

Thank you all

It is a petition and the Cathedral office, that makes the Compostela rules, will have to react to it. I personally don't think they will change the rules anytime soon, so you should be Compostela-safe when starting from Ponferrada. Buen Camino, SY

I have no interest in the the Compostela or the rules related to who gets one and who doesn't. My walk was my walk for my reasons. Nobody else's opinion about it, including that reflected by an awarding of a Compostela or not, matters to me at all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have no interest in the the Compostela or the rules related to who gets one and who doesn't. My walk was my walk for my reasons. Nobody else's opinion about it, including that reflected by an awarding of a Compostela or not, matters to me at all.

Let us say that me too am doing this for personal reasons, including the Compostela ...

Comments apart, I intended to do much more than the minimum (100km) to obtain the compostela, since i intend to start further away than sarria. However, for those who value the compostela, would be a pity to miss it for just a few kilometres!

My thoughts exactly. . Although I'm not in my 70ies yet..300km would've dissuaded me from the idea of the Ingles in March , which will be my only pilgrimage .

When something is of no interest to me, I don't feel the need to tell everyone!;)

The Pilgrim Office has become a madhouse in the summer, so maybe they just want to lessen the work load and shorten the lines. As many say, changing the distance is not important to many. Issuing compostelas is not a big money maker using a mostly paid staff. An indulgence or plenary indulgence does not depend on a compostela according to the cathedral. The distance requirements are about an "athletic" achievement, not holiness. Somehow, multiple motivations are being confused with multiple rules by multiple agencies and people. Arguments for one issue are being used on another. My only action recommendation is that no one ruin their experience over a compostela! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back