• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A new journey

tenzin

Hi... My names Tenzin and I will be walking the Camino in June July... I'm from the Kimberley's in Western Australia and love my red desert earthed lands...
Can anyone tell me the best sized pack to take.. 38, 40 or 42 litre... It's not my first tramp, or trek, but it is for the Camino... I have everything else, but want the correct size pack to take...
I would also like to walk the Pyrenesse French section, and cycle part way through the Spanish area... Any suggestions on bike hire along the way? Easy, hard, impossible!!!
After this, I'm looking at heading over to walk the Rim to Rim... Grand Canyon...
If you can help me out.. That'd be great...
Thank you so much.. Tenzin.... :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think a larger osprey pack that you don't fill. If you are going to the Grand Canyon you will need room for food water and other camping gear. I have a 60 liter pack and for my Camino it only weighs 16 pounds with water fully packed. I'm prepared for a winter or summer camino with one pack.

I would consider taking a smaller pack so you can carry it onto the plane with you rather than check it.
More than one pilgrim has had their Camino ruined because their pack didn't make it to Spain.
Also, there is nothing you need that you can't buy on the Way -
My pack is 30L and I've carried it on each Camino - never needed more room than that from early Spring to late Fall.
But to each his/her own!
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Osprey Atmos 35L has served me well during 4 summer and just recently a short winter Camino. Still had room for food and a sleeping bag (winter).

Pack for Spain and pick up anything you may need for the Grand Canyon once in the U.S. (sleeping mat, tent, etc).

I suggest you use the search engine for info on biking the Camino. There are many threads on the subject.

Hi Tenzin,
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your planning.
...Can anyone tell me the best sized pack to take.. 38, 40 or 42 litre...
You'll probably get as many answers as there are people on the forum.
The decision is basically.
a) Small as possible to just fit your packing list.
b) Big as needed to fit your packing list with a bit of room for bread, fruit, something you're going to post at the next town ect. ect.
Buen Camino
Colin

I think a larger osprey pack that you don't fill. If you are going to the Grand Canyon you will need room for food water and other camping gear. I have a 60 liter pack and for my Camino it only weighs 16 pounds with water fully packed. I'm prepared for a winter or summer camino with one pack.
thankyou… im going to go smaller with my pack, as ill have another bag that ill leave in France and pick it up on the way to the US… once in America, ill buy what i need there for the GC..

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My Osprey Atmos 35L has served me well during 4 summer and just recently a short winter Camino. Still had room for food and a sleeping bag (winter).

Pack for Spain and pick up anything you may need for the Grand Canyon once in the U.S. (sleeping mat, tent, etc).

I suggest you use the search engine for info on biking the Camino. There are many threads on the subject.
thankyou for the tips.. im a trepid trekker and will be leaving my main bag in France, just taking a small cary on pack to walk the Camino… im sure a 38 - 40 litre will be suffice, and ill be swapping from Deuter to Osprey.. wish me luck… will definately check to see what pack fits my body better first though/...
as for the US trip… ill pick what i need up there… :)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back