A pilgrim has died on the Camino near Roncesvalles - March 2013

CaminoJohn

Feb 25, 2010
Albuquerque, New Mexico USA
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2006,2008,2011; VDLP, Sanabrias (2018)
I think the part with the truck takes place where the camino splits off from the paved road onto a grassy track and then heads up through a crag. I think he missed this and continued on the road to where the man found him, and then dropped back there. He says he followed the paved road again where he became stuck over night. Anyone know where that road leads to and the name of that crag/peak?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Mark M

Oct 15, 2013
Navarricano, good report and post.

Yes, tragic, and very similar to The Way and how Tom's son died. In St. Jean it can be a beautiful day - but that path goes over a real mountain and even on a 'good' day the weather can change in minutes.
He was so close to safety, so close. After all that trekking through deep snow he would have been so tired, perhaps already hypothermic, and his mind would probably not have been clear, the poor man.

The markers on the pass are not tall and disappear easily in snow. I went over in March and there was a lot of snow up there - snowed heavily at one point - and there were two places I can remember where the markers were buried for long stretches. A couple came up behind me and we jointly worked out which way to go. Had I been alone I would have not gone ahead as I couldn't be certain I was still on the Camino - being three we gave each other support, but it was dangerous up there ..

Something that could help significantly is long-pole markers that wouldn't disappear in deep snow and perhaps a few emergency shelters. With so many pilgrims on the Camino it would be simple to raise more than enough money to have these safety measures put in place - who wouldn't drop a Euro into such a collection tin? Such a mission could raise a hundred thousand Euros within one year ... such a project could be named after those who have lost their lives up there ....

... don't know what others think, nor how one could go forward on such a project - the pilgrim welcome centre in St Jean?
May I inquire...

What are people's experiences of walking the Mountain path out of St Jean in March. I really want to do this but not put myself or others at risk by doing so...

I fit and healthy and an experienced walker.

offtrail1

Dave Black
Aug 29, 2013
Laguna Niguel, California
2015 SJpdP - SdC
2016 León - Fisterra
Just a sad story. As an experienced winter hiker and mountaineer, I know anything is possible - seemingly routine routes can bring death & extremely treacherous routes are navigated by novices with no ill results. In mountain environments clear skies can quickly change to dangerous winter weather, hail or snow . Muddy trails can freeze to become icy danger zones. Always be prepared, err on the side of caution, and know your limits - and even then there is a chance of tragedy. A 'buddy' is also of value in possibly dangerous areas. Be safe all - I'll be there in the spring.
Dave

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

pudgypilgrim

Jun 20, 2013
Jensen Beach, FL
voie de tours 2015

Rosemary Lyons

Sep 2, 2013
Winona, Minnesota
Easter weekend to May 8th 2013
Intending to walk the mountain pass out of St. Jean in March ,we were met with enough discouragement from locals plus the recent death of a pilgrim to change our minds . We started our walk from Roncesvalles instead and looked at our disappointments and accepted and knew we missed nothing at all.
It was a moment and we made our decision and did not look behind nor ahead. Accept.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Mark M

Oct 15, 2013
RIP.

I think there are many lessons on this thread for those who sacrifice essential gear with the aim of reducing pack weight.

Fully agree. Its so important to use the right gear. I always dress for the worst weather, just in case. Pilgrims should be prepared to spend a night out in freezing conditions. They may never need to but if they do - it sure comes in handy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

wayfarer

Veteran Member
Aug 24, 2008
Co. Clare. Ireland
2012, 2013, 2014.
May I inquire...

What are people's experiences of walking the Mountain path out of St Jean in March. I really want to do this but not put myself or others at risk by doing so...

I fit and healthy and an experienced walker.
As stated before Mark, the pilgrim office will let you know of conditions on the Napoleon. Heed their advice. The Valcarlos is also a lovely walk or if conditions are really bad then start from Roncevalles.
Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Jan 21, 2013
Hawaii - Germany
kathyfootenotes.wordpress.com
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
This tragedy (The Canadian citizen who apparently accidentally mis-stepped off the Napolean in brutal conditions) happened shortly before I set out from SJPdP on my first Camino. I had planned, of course, to do the Napolean in the lovely springtime but, going on the advice of so many onthis forum, also decided that I would follow the advice of the locals in SJPdP.
When I arrived, THE END OF MAY, I was surprised to find, not the lovely spring weather I had anticipated, but cold, icy, challenging conditions which prompted the locals to close the Napolean! I walked the Valcarlos instead, a definite challenge unto itself.
One of the first lessons I learned from the Camino was that my plans were not in my hands. I couldn't allow my pride to win over common sense. I realized that if I wanted to walk the entire way and arrive at Santiago in better shape than I started, I would need to, a.) listen carefully to the Guardian Angels on my shoulders, b.) be patient with myself, and c.) plan one day at a time.
I was disappointed that I couldn't walk the Napolean that very first day - it was a hard lesson to have to learn on day one - but, 40 days later, as I practically skipped into Santiago, I was greatful for everything the Camino had taught me about myself and my place in the world.

M

MendiWalker

One of the first lessons I learned from the Camino was that my plans were not in my hands. I couldn't allow my pride to win over common sense. I realized that if I wanted to walk the entire way and arrive at Santiago in better shape than I started, I would need to, a.) listen carefully to the Guardian Angels on my shoulders, b.) be patient with myself, and c.) plan one day at a time.
I was disappointed that I couldn't walk the Napolean that very first day - it was a hard lesson to have to learn on day one - but, 40 days later, as I practically skipped into Santiago, I was greatful for everything the Camino had taught me about myself and my place in the world.

I totally agree with you.
And there aren´t more accidents because of those "Guardian Angels". I have read more than once of a peregrine saying that he or she didn´t listen to the locals about not walking in such bad weather conditions (e.g. snow) and boasting that nothing happened to them but if something would have happened.............

Buen Camino!

Reactions: Kathy F.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides