• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

A stamp before the start?

KFor7007

I think I've read that pilgrims can get their first stamp in their passport from their local church. I'm starting in September, and the idea of the start of a true pilgrimage being from their 'home' church interests me. Does anyone have any information about this, or am I mistaken?

Keith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked with a gentleman whose first stamp was from the Vatican! How cool!
I got a stamp from a Shell gas station on the Norte...funny thing is there is a Shell gas station that is right beside the Santiago airport.
Makes me wonder if local shell stations have a stamp...

I mentioned this while on the Camino...a friend had a Shell stamp and I wanted one...we found ONE after this and got one.
I posted about it and someone posted a link that Shell was bought out in Spain. Might have been BUT I got a stamp from a Shell!!!!
...then about two weeks later sitting in the taxi heading to the airport there was a Shell :)...marketing reason ...I dunno....

That might be a cute idea though...grab a Shell stamp from near your home IF you do not have a church to stamp it.

Hi Keith,

Although I didn't get a stamp from the local parish church, I did get a stamp, and an Irish Pilgrim's Passport, from St James's Church beside St James's Gate in Dublin the day before I left Dublin. St James's Gate is now most famous as being the home of the Guinness Brewery (where one can also get a stamp!) but was previously known as the departure point for Irish pilgrims setting out for Santiago. Although this church was only built in 1840, it seemed like a symbolic link to the pilgrims of yore, as there had been a shrine close to the spot for many centuries.

I'm very glad I did that, and will do something similar the next time.

If it feels good to you to do it, do it. However, most peregrinos only pick up their credencials in StJPP or Roncesvalles and get their first sello there.

Buen camino, whatever you chose to do.

Maria

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have had stamps entered into my pilgrim's passport from both my Bishop and my pastor. The Bishop's is a true sello, where St Timothy embosses the passport.

My understanding is that at one time there was a requirement for your local church/parish to verify you were actually on a pilgrimage. Thus you could benefit from the hospitality offered by monasteries , churches and pilgrim hostels/refugios along the Way.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think I've read that pilgrims can get their first stamp in their passport from their local church. I'm starting in September, and the idea of the start of a true pilgrimage being from their 'home' church interests me. Does anyone have any information about this, or am I mistaken?

Keith
KF: if your church has a stamp (of the right size), and if it's meaningful to you, then why not!! I was so excited on my first day that I totally forgot to get my passport stamped at my first albergue - the L'Esprit du Chemin in St. Jean Pied du Port (highly recommended!) After I checked into the hostel, I went across the street to get my passport - then went back to the room and tucked it away in my backpack! I didn't realize I missed the first stamp until I arrived at Orison (also highly recommended - these were the only 2 albergues where I made reservations)! However, I have no regret about missing a stamp since the entire CF experience (fellow pilgrims, spirituality, vino tinto, blisters, beautiful sunrise...) is imprinted in my heart! Buen camino!

We were living in London at the time we started and got our first stamp at St. James Garlickhythe -- a London church closely associated with the Camino and the starting place for many medieval English Pilgrims. I never thought of getting a stamp from my local church. I think I will do so when we begin our pilgrimage next summer on the Primitivo. What a lovely idea!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back