• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Acclimate First?

Art15t

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2023
Hello Fellow Pilgrims, my buddy and I land in Porto Oct 5 around 11am from red eye flight out of NJ USA. Do you recommend staying 2 nights to acclimate or start Litoral trek very next morning? Not sure how bad jet lag will be and anxious to get started on my first Camino! Love reading this Forum. Muito Obrigado

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just my 2 cents: I've only arrived on redeye flights and could not imagine starting out without at least one night and, preferably, another whole day to acclimate. Coming from the US, for me the expense of the flight, especially for a shorter camino, makes a few days on the front and back end to acclimate and sightsee a most sensible option.

The direct flight to Porto is a great idea. There's plenty to see (and eat and drink). I wouldn't miss the opportunity to catch some local culture while adjusting to the time change.

I always spend one night before starting out and sometimes 2 coming from the US. I think Porto is a lovely city and after you have rested up a little, you will likely enjoy seeing some of it before starting your Camino.
Thanks J
Sounds like a good plan.
Why hurry?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Just my 2 cents: I've only arrived on redeye flights and could not imagine starting out without at least one night and, preferably, another whole day to acclimate. Coming from the US, for me the expense of the flight, especially for a shorter camino, makes a few days on the front and back end to acclimate and sightsee a most sensible option.

The direct flight to Porto is a great idea. There's plenty to see (and eat and drink). I wouldn't miss the opportunity to catch some local culture while adjusting to the time change.
Seems unanimous. And was already thinking of stay a few days on back end.

Hello Fellow Pilgrims, my buddy and I land in Porto Oct 5 around 11am from red eye flight out of NJ USA. Do you recommend staying 2 nights to acclimate or start Litoral trek very next morning? Not sure how bad jet lag will be and anxious to get started on my first Camino! Love reading this Forum. Muito Obrigado
I went to Porto after my camino this year but I was tired and found it very hilly. Great idea to go there first, look around for a couple days. It's a great city. I will be going directly to some place where I can rest afterwards next time.

I went to Porto after my camino this year but I was tired and found it very hilly. Great idea to go there first, look around for a couple days. It's a great city. I will be going directly to some place where I can rest afterwards next time.
Thanks Lisa. We will probably be getting back just in time to catch the late flight home. 🙏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think a day or two in Porto is a great idea, because it is a very beautiful (and now very trendy) city.

But as far as acclimating goes, the three most powerful antidotes to jet lag are aerobic exercise, fresh air, and sunshine/daylight. So whether you are walking or seeing the sights, I think the important thing is to get out and about during the day as much as you can. Pushing through the urge to take a long nap during the day works wonders.

After many years of taking a rest day before starting my camino, I got this advice from a forum member and tried walking on the day after arrival. Worked great for me. I try to get to the city where I’ll be starting from no later than early afternoon, spend the afternoon doing pre-camino stuff like getting a SIM card, getting some food for the pack, and climbing up to the castle if there is one. Early to bed and up for walking the next morning by 7.

I know that may be too hectic a schedule for some, but the important thing is to spend that arrival day out and about as much as possible. Since you’re arriving at 11 am, you will have most of the day to try it out and then see how you feel in the morning. But as I said, I would never turn down the opportunity to spend a day in Porto, it’s really a wonderful city.

@peregrina2000, I always do the same as you when traveling overseas. I power through that first day on my early arrivals and never take a nap. It seems to go ok even when I sometimes feel like a zombie. The following day goes very well and I feel almost no jet lag...although after I arrive back home it's a different story.🙄

Last edited:
But as far as acclimating goes, the three most powerful antidotes to jet lag are aerobic exercise, fresh air, and sunshine/daylight. So whether you are walking or seeing the sights, I think the important thing is to get out and about during the day as much as you can. Pushing through the urge to take a long nap during the day works wonders.

I agree with this whole-heartedly. After our first time "resting up" the arrival day, we now go walking our first day instead, ideally by starting / resuming our Camino. It virtually eliminates jet lag, and I'd rather spend the time seeing something new than the insides of my eyelids! Sometimes we can tackle a whole day if we arrive early enough, but often it is just a half a days walk on the Camino. I think you'll find after 2-3 hours in the sunshine and fresh air your body will be reset, you'll be hungry for dinner, ready for a good night's sleep, and eager to enjoy your Camino the next day. We are still in our employed years, so we are motivated to make the best use of the two weeks at a time we get in country.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think a day or two in Porto is a great idea, because it is a very beautiful (and now very trendy) city.

After many years of taking a rest day before starting my camino, I got this advice from a forum member and tried walking on the day after arrival. Worked great for me. I try to get to the city where I’ll be starting from no later than early afternoon, spend the afternoon doing pre-camino stuff like getting a SIM card, getting some food for the pack, and climbing up to the castle if there is one. Early to bed and up for walking the next morning by 7.

I know that may be too hectic a schedule for some, but the important thing is to spend that arrival day out and about as much as possible. Since you’re arriving at 11 am, you will have most of the day to try it out and then see how you feel in the morning. But as I said, I would never turn down the opportunity to spend a day in Porto, it’s really a wonderful city.
Thank you Peregrina2000
The plan is to be back in Porto on 18th. If we start out on 6th is that enough time to walk Litoral then Coastal or Central then train/bus back from Santiago? Do most healthy First Timers complete in 10 or 11 days?

We are all different. I suffer from a sleep disorder and really must sleep a little upon arrival. Even a few hours makes a big difference for me. I can't sleep much on the plane as I can't use my CPAP. I arrive, check in, sleep, then get up and enjoy the evening and back to bed. Helps me to have a second day to travel to my start point and then start the following day. I can't think clearly otherwise.

I’m walking now (Astorga to Santiago). I arrived from the states similar to you. If you have time, a day to adjust is helpful. I think both for the time change and just to get your mind sorted after probably losing a night’s sleep. I was very happy to have a day to take a closer look around Astorga. (If you understand Spanish, the tour from the Roman archaeology museum is worth the time.)

Something I tried for this trip was getting up progressively earlier by 30-45 minutes starting about a week before I left. You also have to get to bed quite early too. But I feel like it shaved a couple days off the jet lag I usually feel flying to Europe. It might not be practical for everyone but it might help.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I’m starting off from Porto early on Saturday, October 7 and also going on the Litoral route. I will get in late on the 4th but wanted to have two full days to explore what I hear is a fantastic city and learn a little more about Port wine in the process.

I’m starting off from Porto early on Saturday, October 7 and also going on the Litoral route. I will get in late on the 4th but wanted to have two full days to explore what I hear is a fantastic city and learn a little more about Port wine in the process.
Porto is lovely. I really enjoyed sampling port wine with lunch and highly recommend Sandeman's with its lovely view of the city from across the bridge on the other side of the river.

That works for me too. Initially it was because I had limited days due to leave allocation, now I plan it deliberately.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are all different. I suffer from a sleep disorder and really must sleep a little upon arrival. Even a few hours makes a big difference for me.
I completely understand that there are many different medical reasons that could interfere with the best laid plans to combat jet lag. I think that any of us who make suggestions on a whole range of topics assume that there is a “medical exception caveat,” so I was in no way trying to say that everyone will benefit from this approach. There are also people who arrive after two or three days of travel, and I can’t even envision how I would deal with that.

But if you don’t have one of those medical conditions, and if your sleep deprivation is in the range of a single day, I think it’s definitely worth a try to get yourself going upon arrival in Europe from an overnight flight.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.