• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Iberia, by James Michener, a worthy read before, during, or after a camino

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances April 2022
I regret not reading Iberia earlier, however, it is never to late to read this marvelous tome, published in 1968. I just finished reading it, two years after beginning my Camino Frances. In Iberia Michener recounts his personal travel, observations, interviews, and conversations with people from all stations in life. This book shows up in many 'to read' lists. I want to bring this book to life for some who may not yet be convinced to read it. Michener dives deep into history and his keen observations on Spanish art, architecture and music are worth every sentence. The final chapter recounts highlights of his third pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, which he undertook following a heart attack. He waxes eloquent about the masterful monuments in Estella, Gaudi's architectural masterpiece in Astorga, and the Portico de la Gloria of the Santiago Cathedral. His descriptions of gastronomic delights and landscapes are captivating. The chapter truly comes to life in his conversations with the people of Iberia. I am tempted to return for another visit to a most remarkable country. If not, I always can give Iberia another read.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola @James van Hemert Thanks for the reminder. Going back 50+ years I became Michener total fan,. I must have read just about everything he wrote. But this one does not ring any bells.
So lets be clear is this James A Michener (American prolific author who died about 30 or so years ago) or another James Michener?? Cheers

I have had this on my ‘to read’ list for some time but just haven’t gotten around to it. Thanks for the reminder. Michener’s ‘The Drifters’ is one of my all-time favourite books.

As an aside, he is one of the authors featured on the ‘Writers Walk’ at Circular Quay in Sydney:

IMG_6694.jpeg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I regret not reading Iberia earlier, however, it is never to late to read this marvelous tome, published in 1968. I just finished reading it, two years after beginning my Camino Frances. In Iberia Michener recounts his personal travel, observations, interviews, and conversations with people from all stations in life. This book shows up in many 'to read' lists. I want to bring this book to life for some who may not yet be convinced to read it. Michener dives deep into history and his keen observations on Spanish art, architecture and music are worth every sentence. The final chapter recounts highlights of his third pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, which he undertook following a heart attack. He waxes eloquent about the masterful monuments in Estella, Gaudi's architectural masterpiece in Astorga, and the Portico de la Gloria of the Santiago Cathedral. His descriptions of gastronomic delights and landscapes are captivating. The chapter truly comes to life in his conversations with the people of Iberia. I am tempted to return for another visit to a most remarkable country. If not, I always can give Iberia another read.
Indeed Yes. It's well worth a read. I guess its around 30 years he's been gone.
It even played a part in a story I wrote here a few years ago.

Last edited:
I have recommended the last chapter many times to fellow pilgrims. it literally is a description of the Camino de Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have been a Michener fan for years. Interestingly, I am currently in the middle of reading Iberia for the first time, also two years after having walked the Camino Frances. So far, I have very much enjoyed the read. I look forward to the last chapter and his descriptions on walking the Camino. Thanks for the post James.

I consider IBERIA as an idea primer on Spanish culture. IMHO, every intending pilgrim should read this before traveling to Spain, whether as a tourist or a pilgrim.

This classic of modern literature is very well researched and written. It is well organized and easy to follow.

You will better appreciate Spain, the Spanish people, their complex culture, and their very long history.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Training to be on the Primativo in 5 weeks. Just downloaded the audiobook. Hope it does it justice but I do not have time to read before leaving but plenty of time to listen while walking here at home. Thank you 😊

If anyone is interested here is a review of Michener's Iberia shortly after it was published.

The review was interesting, and tepid, saying Michener failed to grapple with the complexity of Spain - and I have to say I agree. Iberia's pleasant enough, but doesn't go anywhere remotely complicated.

(The reviewer wrote this more gritty and three-dimensional book about the Spanish Civil War: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/6532153 )

Definitely worth reading before or on the Camino. His description of the cathedral in Leon made me envious of the reception he received, another book worth considering is Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. His descriptions of what goes into building a cathedral gave me a better understanding of what I was seeing.

€149,-
The review was interesting, and tepid, saying Michener failed to grapple with the complexity of Spain - and I have to say I agree. Iberia's pleasant enough, but doesn't go anywhere remotely complicated.

(The reviewer wrote this more gritty and three-dimensional book about the Spanish Civil War: https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/6532153 )
Very interesting.The Civil War in Spain has contributions from George Orwell, Andre John Dos Passos, Arthur Koestler, Andre Malraux and others. Should be worth reading.

Be been trying to read for a while now. I’m stuck in Sevilla. It’s interesting but slow. I leave for my Camino in a week so maybe I’ll skip to the last chapter!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
"Iberia" was my introduction to the Camino way back in 2001, when a friend recommended "Iberia" as a good read before my upcoming trip to Spain. James Michener's pilgrimage to the resting place of "Spain's patron Saint, and mine," in thanksgiving for surviving a heart attack, has held a special place in my Camino lore ever since. It rarely gets mentioned on the forum these days, so it's nice to see it brought forward again.

Hola @James van Hemert Thanks for the reminder. Going back 50+ years I became Michener total fan,. I must have read just about everything he wrote. But this one does not ring any bells.
So lets be clear is this James A Michener (American prolific author who died about 30 or so years ago) or another James Michener?? Cheers
This is the James A. Michener, "prolific author," 😄 noted mostly for his voluminous and hugely popular works of fiction written back in the mid to late 20th century. Iberia is one of his rare books of non-fiction, inspired by his deep, life-long love of Spain. As non-fiction it probably gets overlooked on a lot of lists, and many of his views are dated. But it's a first-person look into all things Iberian as seen in the 1960s. We'll worth the read and not just for the concluding section on the Camino. Enjoy!

I read Iberia well before my first Camino (and The Drifters, which gives a different view of Spain). It was one of the things that made me aware of the Camino. It is very much a product of its time. Much of what he wrote is timeless and in many of the characteristics and places of which he wrote are still there to see. But Spain has also changed a lot since then. It had changed a lot by 1990 when I lived there, and it has changed yet more since then. Things are still the same, but they are also very different.

One place this is clear is the Camino. For Michener, the natural way to trace the path of the Camino across Spain was by car. One of the ways the Camino has changed in the intervening decades.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I regret not reading Iberia earlier, however, it is never too late to read this marvelous tome, published in 1968. I just finished reading it, two years after beginning my Camino Frances. In Iberia Michener recounts his personal travel, observations, interviews, and conversations with people from all stations in life. This book shows up in many 'to read' lists. I want to bring this book to life for some who may not yet be convinced to read it. Michener dives deep into history and his keen observations on Spanish art, architecture and music are worth every sentence. The final chapter recounts highlights of his third pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, which he undertook following a heart attack. He waxes eloquent about the masterful monuments in Estella, Gaudi's architectural masterpiece in Astorga, and the Portico de la Gloria of the Santiago Cathedral. His descriptions of gastronomic delights and landscapes are captivating. The chapter truly comes to life in his conversations with the people of Iberia. I am tempted to return for another visit to a most remarkable country. If not, I always can give Iberia another read.
I just read the final chapters on the Camino, learned so much I didn’t know while walking the Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I visited Spain for the first time and came back to the US few weeks ago. My overall impression of the country, after visiting major cities to small towns, is that Spain seems to have higher...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.