• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation and stamping of passport - hostel/hotel??

joyful46

:? Hello to experienced and novice pilgrims
I am thrilled to have stumbled upon this forum to gain some valuable advice for my camino in October 2011. I am a cold frog and winter (3 June) in my part of Australia is now a low 11.8 c at 8 am and will probably lift to 18 c during the middle of the day. So you can see I am spoilt rotten and getting very nervous after reading another account of walking the Camino in October through rain and slush, what am I throwing myself into??? Oh well I guess this is part of the experience and nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

I am walking solo and not sure of my personal ability to manage dormitory accommodation in albergues; I have been told that rooms in private homes or small hotels are often available and this might be an option for me when I am feeling that I need a quiet sleeping space or when I want to stay another day to explore a village or to rest. Not sure of the single cost for such accommodation.

Is there a list of such accommodation options available so that I have an alternative when planning my sections? Hopeful that someone can help me. signed: :wink: joyful46

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Sites such as this one show the accommodations available on each stage:

http://www.mundicamino.com/ingles/rutas.cfm?id=15

Surf around it, and take a look.

Hape Kerkeling, the German humorist, did the Camino in hotels/hostals, so you can too! Some love the albergues, some hate them. If you try them, you will know for yourself.

October is good walking weather unless you insist on heat!

Have fun!

Hi Joyful46 - Just returned yesterday after five weeks on the camino. I chose to alternate between albergues (most of them very good - others also good but sometimes somewhat cramped for space) and hostales.

The price of a room in hostales with bathroom varied between 30 and 50 Euros per night with the odd ones a bit higher, but believe me, if you arrive after a full day of soaking thunderstorms or a long walk, you would wish to pay any price! Please PM me if you wish details of places and prices of hostales I have been in (between Roncesvalles and Astorga) and I will send them to you when I have sorted my notes out.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I did not see any question about the stamping of passports in your post but to reassure you the hotels and hostales will all have stamps and the pilgrims office in Santiago do not care where you stayed. Stamps can also be found at churches, albergues, bars, tourist offices and many other places. One of my most valued was from the little church at O Cebreiro.

Hi.

I always stay in casa rurales; as someone mentioned, the price is around $30-60, which can sometimes get you AMAZING properties. I stayed in several entire homes by myself! Often laundry facilities are available, and often breakfast/dinner are included or an option to add on for a modest fee. Here's a site I've found useful to find places:

http://www.toprural.com/

Just make sure to read the text closely. Sometimes they're homes that can only be rented in their entirety, meaning you can only rent, say, a 5-bedroom home for 300 euros/night. In the situation I mentioned above, I was able to rent my room for 40 euros/night, but since no one else rented a room for that same night, I had the entire house to myself.

Melanie

accommodation ranges from wild camping, to the penthouse in a 5 star hotel
with costs ranging from zero to a very lot
and God did not create all albergues alike
so not all are dorm-like
generally you will have options
on the vdlp in Oct 2010
i generally spent my rest days in hostals
and mostly paid circa 20Euro a pop
for that, i got a bed with real linen with hot and cold running water and a television set
i wasnt really in the chocolate-on-your-pilow at bed-time league
so i was as happy as a pig in palestine
re sellos - if the building has a door with a cash register inside, its probably got a passport stamp

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Can't comment on the weather in October as I've only walked in May/June. But, as far as accommodation is concerned, it's really worth trying albergue accommodation. I'm a bit introverted, but found I quickly adapted to dormitory accommodation, surprised myself really. Though I did stay in hotels every 5 or 6 days to get a bit of piece and quiet, and my own bathroom!

I really suggest you get a copy of the Confraternity of St James Guide to the Camino Frances (guess that's the route you're walking). This will give you a live of all accommodation in every village and town, including phone number and prices. Also included is information on distances between villages/towns, a little bit of sightseeing, bed number in albergues and info on facilities such as kitchens, and information on facilities in towns etc. The guide is updated each January from feedback from the previous year's pilgrims. You can buy the guide through the CSJ's website and shipping to Australia is quick. Have a look at the Bookshop on http://www.csj.org.uk

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

On the Camino Del Norte. Surprised by the amount of pilgrims. Many mature pilgrims, like myself with a few Caminos under their belt, mostly appear to be staying in hotels. If staying in hotels be...
Hi I just joined and will be doing a solo walk from SJPP to Finisterre in May Jun 2025... long time to go yet but VV excited ... will be finalising dates and flights from Canberra as soon as...
For those of you who are using the ATM colour chart. One bank is suggested at less than 2 Euro when in fact was 4.50 Euro per withdrawal
Hello Pilgrims, I am Brendan an Australian Scot. I am new to the forum, but not new to the Camino. On Tuesday May 28 I will start on my seventh Camino the Norte from San Sebastián. I will try and...
I am looking for people who want to walk the camino del norte in may 2025 - starting from Irun, Bilbao or another place. Nice to hear from you.
Oh oh oh, After more then seven and a half weeks of rain in Belgium and France, last week weather is better, I walked into Irun today! 🙏 Feels like the last nine weeks my life was in a fridge but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back