• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

accommodation in Barcelona

wgr

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi
I put this on earlier but was only on my mobile so cudnt see how to put on new thread.
4 of us are walking 11 days in July and then we are flying from Burgos to Barcelona for 2 days. this was to suit flights home. So we are spending 2 days sightseeing in Barcelona. We wud appreciate advice on where to stay cheaply but centrally in the city.
Thank you, Winifred

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Central downtown Barcelona can be expensive so I might suggest you consider renting a tourist apartment. You can find listings of apartments under a number of different websites.

I would check to see if they have an Ibis or Etap hotel. We stayed in one in Madrid and while we were in Barcelona never thought to look for one.

Since you are there for a short time I would suggest the city tour. You pay one price and they are hop on and off tours. Barcelona has three different tours and they have stops near "touristy" places where you can hop off and visit and then hop back on and continue your tour. You also get ear phones and can listen to a recording about the different sights you are seeing. The metro is a great cheap way to get around as well but if you don't know where you are going the city tour is great.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello winifred,

Try to go on website, http://www.airbnb.com. This is a site where you can rent apartment or room private to private. Site is started by someone, if i am not mistaken, from california. What you do is to go into the website, select your city and dates. Put down the number of pax. The site will give you the option of hundred and hundred of private accommodations to choose from with reviews and comments from people who have used and stayed at the apartments. You can further filter what you are looking for - room with private bath, location, whether you want the whole apartment, facilities, etc. the site will also show you on a map the location of the apartment. Prices are listed with normally you will be asked to pay the commission, which is a small amount depending on the price of the apartment. You will communicate by email directly with the owners. You will save a lot of money especially if you are in a small group. Normally centrally locations will be more expensive than the suburban areas depending on the distance. However barcelona, like any other big spanish cities, has a very inexpensive and efficient transport system to go around town.

Get back to me if you have any question.

Good luck and buen camino.

jirit said:
Central downtown Barcelona can be expensive so I might suggest you consider renting a tourist apartment. You can find listings of apartments under a number of different websites.
I recently stayed at a nice place which was quite inexpensive and pretty central at https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/626593
Very hospitable young people and totally worth staying instead of a hotel.

I stayed at the Hotel Medium Abalon, 380-384 Travessera de Gracia, a ten minute walk down Gaudi Avenue to the Sagrada Familia. Great breakfast buffet included in the price - including cereals that we saw only once on the Camino.

If you plan to see the Sagrada Familia, I highly recommend that you buy your ticket on line beforehand. You will be sent a 'voucher'. Take this (I had mine printed by the very helpful person at the hotel desk) directly to the ticket booth and you can go right in, thereby bypassing the horrendous lineup. I would expect (but don't know) that the people at the ticket booth would accept the unprinted 'voucher' on your iPhone or iPad, if you don't have access to a printer.

Yes, the hop on, hop off bus tour is great.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks guys. Will have to look these up. Funds are low so hope to find something suitable.

I stayed at Hostal Girona walking distance from Plaza Cataluna and close to metro stops. It was very reasonable. http://www.hostalgirona.com/.

BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH PICKPOCKETERS IN BARCELONA. They have supernatural powers (it seems...). The worse city in the planet for pickpocketers....seriously.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I can highly recommended Barcelona Central Gardens, http://www.barcelonacentralgarden.com/, a very reasonably priced hostal that caters to pilgrims. It is a wonderful place, incredibly clean, in a perfect location. I spent 4 nights there and was very pleased.

piogaw said:
Try to go on website, http://www.airbnb.com.
If you are going to use sites such as airbnb and vrbo.com or any sites for holiday rentals I have a SCAM ALERT! Please, PLEASE, read the following scam alert warnings from other unfortunates travelers who use the above referenced sites: http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/airbnb-scam.cfm

Both sites are very legitimate and I have used both with no issues. Unfortunately, crooks have hacked the sites and email requests from potential renters are actually being derailed to hackers. There are preventive measures to avoid getting scammed when using these sites. READ THE WARNINGS ON THE LINK ABOVE FIRST.

I have used VRBO for years without any issues, however it is always good to be cautious.

I did use booking.com for the first time when we were in Barcelona and were travelling to Madrid without any plans. I wanted to have a place for when we arrived and the train was leaving in less than two hours and it was a Friday so I booked Pension Jaen and crossed my fingers. I had to use my MC to hold it but paid in cash when we got there. I was pleasantly surprised that they had received the reservation request by the time we arrived a few hours later. Pension Jaen wasn't available the next night or we would have stayed longer as location was excellent and walking distance from Atocha train station.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

I've just read this article from La Voz de Galicia. A Camino guide and frequent pilgrim with over 30 years of Camino experience calling for some greater regulation of numbers - at least on the...
One death attributed to a heart attack last week. Two pelegrinos gored, one seriously. One broken leg and many ending in Pamplona due to knee and leg and ankle injuries. Is it possible to confirm...
Hello. I am considering walking the Camino for the first time this fall, probably beginning the third week of September in St. Jean. But I keep reading about how crowded the Camino is, including...
Is there a list of albergues that also have private rooms on the Camino Frances? Gracias.
Hello, two weeks ago, I finished the Camino Francés, and while all the recent memories have not properly settled yet, I think enough time has passed to write a bit about my experience of the...
Can anyone give me (newbie!) some guidance on planning my stages after Roncesvalles? I currently have lodging booked Zubiri, Pamplona and then Puente la Reine, and on from there. I would prefer...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back