Accommodation Inquiry

Oysters66

May 5, 2024
Australia
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy
Hi I am undertaking the Le Puy way commencing on 7 June 2024. For planning I have a Cicerone Guide by Dave Whiston. I have been trying to book dormitory style accommodation for the first stage to Montbonnet via email but all Gites listed in the guide have replied that they are fully booked. So I have tried the next town along Saint Privat d Alllier. I've inquired via email to a couple of Gites but both have not replied. Few questions;

• My emails are in english, should I use Google translator to translate into French.
  • Is it normal for places to be fully booked out at this time of year.
  • Can any one give me some suggestions on how to secure accommodation as I'm starting to be a bit concerned about getting a place to sleep each night.
Kind regards Andrew

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mar 24, 2023
Germany
Inglès April 2023
Primitivo July 2023
Hi Andrew, I'm still in the research stage myself so can only advise what I myself have read:

1/ Definitely send your emails in French. Along the Le Puy (and in many other areas) lots of people do not speak any English. ( Let's face it why should they). It's one thing to write in booking.com in English because that automatically translates for you, but emails should always be in the appropriate language.

2/Dave's guide is great however you could also try Gronze. Plus, of course Miam Miam Dodo ( French), which has constant online updates available
3/ June appears to be considered a great time to walk because there are no French holidays during that period. Nothing I've read suggests that it's normally overly busy but perhaps many people are taking advantage of the fact that it's still spring and normally better weather?

Good luck, bon Chemin

Last edited:

Pafayac

On the way...
Aug 2, 2022
Paris
2024 (project) Norte or Invierno
Regarding language, @Peterexpatkiwi is right: try to write your email in French. If you want, give me some telephone numbers and what I should ask then I will call for you. Gronze should be convenient in order to give you the current list of albergues.
The problem of June regarding the beginning of Podiensis is that some people plan to reach Santiago for July, the 25th, St James feast.
Therefore this way could be a bit crowded.
Do not worry and Bon Chemin !

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Simperegrina

Sep 3, 2023
UK
Frances 2023-24, Portugues Central, Invierno 2024
A lot of people who walk the Via Podiensis, swear by the Miam Miam Dodo guides ( #1=Le Puy to Cahors, #2=Cahors to Roncesvaux). I’m looking at them right now on the coffee table :)

And yes, you should email/send messages about accommodation, in French.

• Thank you
Reactions: Oysters66
Jul 24, 2017
Camino Frances, SJPP to Santiago (2014)
Caminho Portuguese, Lisbon to Santiago (2017)
Hello Osters66. As a few have mentioned above, writing your emails in French will work well. Write them in English then using ‘translate’, have both English and French in your email. And as others have mentioned, Maim Miam Dodo guides (in French) are fabulous. Walked from Le Puy to SJPP 2 years ago- magical. You are in for a lovely walk. You may wish to apply to be a member of the Facebook group: “GR65 Via Podiensis - Walking the Le Puy Route in France” Over 2500 members walking the GR65 (Le Puy route). Extremely helpful with loads of info on routes, gites, any detours, etc. from people walking right now. Bon Chemin. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1081800999284335/

Attachments

• IMG_8615.jpeg
    IMG_8615.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

Pafayac

On the way...
Aug 2, 2022
Paris
So I have tried the next town along Saint Privat d Alllier. I've inquired via email to a couple of Gites but both have not replied.
I have sent a mail to "l'Abri du Jacquet" in Saint Privat (the best choice in this town in my opinion).
They answer they do have many beds on June, the 7th.
If you are interested, confirm the booking to them from their site (https://www.labridujacquet.fr/): "Nous contacter" among the menu in the upper left corner. Tell them if you want the dinner ("demi-pension").
They understand english.

Do not hesitate if you need more help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Ken & Liz

Feb 24, 2016
Late August 2016
Hi I am undertaking the Le Puy way commencing on 7 June 2024. For planning I have a Cicerone Guide by Dave Whiston. I have been trying to book dormitory style accommodation for the first stage to Montbonnet via email but all Gites listed in the guide have replied that they are fully booked. So I have tried the next town along Saint Privat d Alllier. I've inquired via email to a couple of Gites but both have not replied. Few questions;

• My emails are in english, should I use Google translator to translate into French.
  • Can any one give me some suggestions on how to secure accommodation as I'm starting to be a bit concerned about getting a place to sleep each night.
Kind regards Andrew
I have booked all my accom on the Le Puy via Booking.com or Gronze. I explain briefly who I am then ask about accomodation, mostly in English except for my opening remarks.
Gronze have most places more than Booking.com and more pictures plus their website. Gronze is in French but your web browser will translate 4 you.
Best of luck, we start on the 19th June just after my 80th BD

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Pafayac

On the way...
Aug 2, 2022
Paris
The walk is from Le Puy to SJPdP. Using Gronze camino Le Puy is what you need to look for
"El Camino de Le Puy (o Vía Podiensis) es el principal camino por Francia y la más importante vía de peregrinación medieval europea. La primera peregrinación documentada es la del obispo Godescalcentre los años 950 y 951. Se inicia en Le Puy-en-Velay, en la región de la Auvernia, y hoy en día recorren este camino miles de peregrinos. Está bien señalizado como GR-65, y presenta unos atractivos culturales y naturales de primer orden."
Gronze is in spanish, whatever the considered route is !

Reactions: katkins_in

Rita Flower

Veteran Member
Aug 7, 2021
Myfunself#21
2024 Via Podiensis

Kind regards Andrew

Hi Andrew
Thanks for starting this thread. The answers have been helpful to me.
I arrive in Le Puy in 26 May and have had a short lead in time. I only started booking a few days ago. And have also found some challenges.
I have sent quite a few emails and have not received many replies. One went to Junk.
At this point I have two nights in La Puy at Capucin - I could only get one night at the seminary and haven’t heard back from the St Francis gite which was my preference.
And a night at L’Abri du Jacquet. I was hoping to start slow and break up the first day but haven’t heard back from the gite in Tallode.
I have found some of the email addresses are out of date on gronze eg the Seminary in Le Puy so I have also been going to their websites.
I use Google translate to send in French.
I will be a rather slow walker at least in the early stages, so you might catch up.
I am also happy for you to follow me or private message me to find out how I am doing with booking accommodation.
I am planning ahead as best I can and practicing not worrying- sometimes easier said than done.
Buen Camino
EDIT - Just got confirmation for Tallode - phew!

Last edited:
  • Buen Camino!
Reactions: Peterexpatkiwi
Aug 19, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Le Puy route 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2022, 2023, +

Kind regards Andrew
Bonjour Andrew,
I hope that you might have had some luck reserving accommodations in recent hours, since your original post. As a courtesy, I would definitely be writing your reservation requests, i.e. une demande de reservation in french [using a translation app such as DeepL or Google Translate]. [2] it is not unusual for places to be fully-booked at this time of year, through to mid-June and perhaps beyond, although May is the peak month on the GR65 Via Podiensis. [3] I cannot give you too many more suggestions on how to secure accommodations, other than to be flexible with your requirements [have you tried La Barbelotte at Montbonnet🤔] ... some time ago Dave Whitson, author of the Cicerone guide that you have, provided a link here to his super spreadsheet of accommodation and services ... you might like to search for that and use it to research all the possible accommodation options ... it is very up-to-date ... and you can find it here : <https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...accommodation-spreadsheet-for-the-road.70447/>
------
p.s. Gronze and the other apps include a lot of out-of-date information ref. above comment from @Rita Flower

Last edited:

Rita Flower

Veteran Member
Aug 7, 2021
Myfunself#21
2024 Via Podiensis
Thanks for the reminder about Dave's spreadsheet @BlackRocker57. I forgot all about it but will now use in conjunction with other resources. Given what others have said about June (I thought it might be less populated with walkers/pilgrims) - I think I will at least book ahead until Conques for a start (I am now good up until Saugues with two initial short stages). I am laughing at myself because I have had resistance and, dare I say it, judgement about booking ahead. How the mighty have fallen. Hahaha!

Aug 19, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for the reminder about Dave's spreadsheet @BlackRocker57. I forgot all about it but will now use in conjunction with other resources. Given what others have said about June (I thought it might be less populated with walkers/pilgrims) - I think I will at least book ahead until Conques for a start (I am now good up until Saugues with two initial short stages). I am laughing at myself because I have had resistance and, dare I say it, judgement about booking ahead. How the mighty have fallen. Hahaha!
booking / reserving ahead on the Via Podiensis is just how it is done ... if you want to be sure of getting an evening meal and a bed for the night esp. in the busy months ...

Rita Flower

Veteran Member
Aug 7, 2021
Myfunself#21
2024 Via Podiensis
Hi @Oysters66
I have found that booking is easier if you can find the website, which is not always listed in Gronze. For example, yesterday I emailed the Sougues communal gite d'etape but received no reply. They didn't have a website listed on Gronze so I did a search of the name and found their website. I just completed my booking that way.
I am going to assume if I don't get a reply to emails within 24 hours that either the email address is incorrect, or I need to go through their website if they have one. Once I am in France I can phone ahead. I will learn by rote my request for a bed the same way I did in Spain. I need to check out Dave's spread sheet to confirm email addresses. This booking ahead does get easier the more I do it. :)
Buen Camino

EDIT - PS Watch out for email replies going to your Junk folder - a few of mine have ended there.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Oysters66

May 5, 2024
Australia
Le Puy
Hi Andrew, I'm still in the research stage myself so can only advise what I myself have read:

1/ Definitely send your emails in French. Along the Le Puy (and in many other areas) lots of speak people do not speak any English. ( Let's face it why should they). It's one thing to write in booking.com in English because that automatically translates for you, but emails should always be in the appropriate language.

2/Dave's guide is great however you could also try Gronze. Plus, of course Miam Miam Dodo ( French), which has constant online updates available
3/ June appears to be considered a great time to walk because there are no French holidays during that period. Nothing I've read suggests that it's normally overly busy but perhaps many people are taking advantage of the fact that it's still spring and normally better weather?

Good luck, bon Chemin
Thankyou

Oysters66

May 5, 2024
Australia
Le Puy
I have sent a mail to "l'Abri du Jacquet" in Saint Privat (the best choice in this town in my opinion).
They answer they do have many beds on June, the 7th.
If you are interested, confirm the booking to them from their site (https://www.labridujacquet.fr/): "Nous contacter" among the menu in the upper left corner. Tell them if you want the dinner ("demi-pension").
They understand english.

Do not hesitate if you need more help.
Thankyou very much, Ill give that a try.

Mananath

May 23, 2022
USA
Camino Frances July 2022
I am starting on May 27th and have just about booked everything until Cahors. I am taking the Cele variant and was warned this section has limited accomodation. My hope is to start booking a few days ahead after Cahors.

I do not speak French and have been relying on translated emails to book. Still have a few trouble spots however.

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: Pafayac
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Aug 19, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Hi, Thank you to every one that offered advice. I am booked through to Conques, using Dave's spreadsheet. I made inquiries with Gites that had websites and emailed my inquiry in French. Should I pre book further or wait to I'm on 'The Way'?
You should be okay come mid-June ... but for peace of mind you might want to drop in to one of the many very helpful «offices de tourisme» along the Way and ask them how busy things are ... and ... if you should reserve ahead🤔

Suzanne H

Seeking Synchronicity
Feb 21, 2017
Eugene
Next: 2023 Arles
The busiest part of your walk will probably be up to Conques. After, the trail may thin out a bit. Many (most) of the French walkers ended their walks in Conques.

When I walked from Le Puy in 2018, I would use the tourist information offices to assist with bookings for 2-3 days out.
Gite owners are often helpful to provide recommendations and phone calls on your behalf.
It’s my favorite walk and I’m jealous of your journey!

WayWalker

Jul 1, 2014
2013, 2016

Kind regards Andrew
In your guidebook, if you can figure out that the gites have whatsap, give that a go. I found them much more responsive to that. The French also use translate.

Aug 19, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
In your guidebook, if you can figure out that the gites have whatsap, give that a go. I found them much more responsive to that. The French also use translate.
WhatsApp definitely the way to go ... and many gîte hosts now use it!

MariaDunlop

May 17, 2021
Canada
2018, 2019 (2) , 2021, 2022
You can Whatsapp the (French) phone numbers that begin with “06”. You may get quicker responses.
Taking it slower is VERY wise! Last year I discovered that 25km on the Podiensis is WAY harder than 25km on the Camino Frances. More elevation changes - and yes, I had studied the Cicerone guide book, apps, maps, YouTube videos, podcasts extensively.
Beautiful but difficult.

Reactions: Peterexpatkiwi
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am very interested in walking from Le Puy to St. Jean in July. I've completed several other Caminos, so I am afraid I'm a little too casual with my prep for this one. I going to spend the next...
Hi! I'm new here and to the Camino, but trying to take advantage of a last minute opportunity to get off work for about 3 weeks including travel. I had hoped to do Le Puy to Cahors including the...
Hi, Can anybody recommend a Gite in Gramat? There seem to be a good number of places to stay, but I would like something near the GR if that's possible. A place oriented toward walkers would be...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides