• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodation that offers hosted dinners ?

Jensjaunt

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept Oct - Camino Francis
Hoping to hear from recent travellers of the Portuguese coastal, senda literal and spiritual variant where you stayed that the Albergue or Pensions had a communal evening meal you could purchase that you enjoyed. When I walked the Camino Francis the atmosphere the host created over dinner made it a warm and friendly way to interact w fellow pilgrims and the host. Often the cooked local dishes - I still dream of the seafood paella offered by the Albergue in El Ganzo! Can you share town and accommodation name? This will help me as I plan stage lengths and where to have rest days! Jen from🇨🇦

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hoping to hear from recent travellers of the Portuguese coastal, senda literal and spiritual variant where you stayed that the Albergue or Pensions had a communal evening meal you could purchase that you enjoyed. When I walked the Camino Francis the atmosphere the host created over dinner made it a warm and friendly way to interact w fellow pilgrims and the host. Often the cooked local dishes - I still dream of the seafood paella offered by the Albergue in El Ganzo! Can you share town and accommodation name? This will help me as I plan stage lengths and where to have rest days! Jen from🇨🇦
Go to Gronze.com. They have listings of almost all the albergues and when you click on the link of a specific albergue it will list whether or not they offer communal dinners. I walked that route last November and I did not stay in any albergue that had communal dinners. Donativos are your best bet. But because I didn't stay in a communal dinner albergue it doesn't mean there aren't any.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When are you walking the Coastal? We are going in September and I’m also very interested in, not only the communal meals, but favorite Albergue’s along those same routes as well.

Go to Gronze.com. They have listings of almost all the albergues and when you click on the link of a specific albergue it will list whether or not they offer communal dinners. I walked that route last November and I did not stay in any albergue that had communal dinners. Donativos are your best bet. But because I didn't stay in a communal dinner albergue it doesn't mean there aren't any.
Many thanks I was not aware of that feature! How helpful. J

When are you walking the Coastal? We are going in September and I’m also very interested in, not only the communal meals, but favorite Albergue’s along those same routes as well.
Looking to walk from Porto in late April, early May - so getting excited and into planning!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jen, my experience walking this last February was that the kinds of communal dinners you can find on the Frances are not a feature of this camino. But it was February and it's possible other options will open up as the season get's busier.
FWIW, in my view if the communal meal is something you value (as I do) then you have to work a little harder on this route to put it together yourself. The one truly lovely communal meal we managed was in the albergue in Caminha. Apart from being a nice albergue anyway, it has a full clean modern kitchen and utensils, just like you'd find at home - except more. And a big table in the kitchen that you can get at least ten around. There's a supermarket and other shops about 200m away so it's easy to source your meal's ingredients, plus drinks etc. I guess it was slightly easier in Feb because we had got to know everyone by name who was walking on the path by then. We of course invited the two outliers (from our 'group') in the albergue and I think they very much enjoyed the evening too.
The next evening many of the Caminha crew (who hadn't turned right to walk inland up the Minho) and some others took up residence in the Albergue de Estrela in Viladesuso. Options to cook were thin: a kitchen, but with only a microwave, and a Repsol gas station across the road selling basic provisions.. so we all went to the one bar restaurant open, also on the main road, where they gave us a big table and it ended up being very much like a communal dinner.
We did something similar in Caldas de Reis where the hospitalera told us the best traditional Galician restaurant in town was about to close as the old couple running it were retiring. That was enough information to sell it to all our acquaintances (basically everyone) staying at the albergue and we all ate together around one long table, ages 13-70, which was rather nice.
We managed quite a few other looser arrangements too, so by the end of the journey I felt I'd managed to achieve my full quota of excellent communal meals, even if they often strayed from the standard template... but it does take some planning, canniness and, ideally, recruiting a couple of partners-in-crime to help you organise.. good luck!

Hebron is a lovely spot to stay. Unfortunately they do not open until 4 pm

O Lagar de Jesus in Escravitude - about 5k after Padron - had an excellent vegetarian communal dinner when we stayed there last June.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Tom thank you for your reply! Good to know that it can still be possible where there are shared kitchens just maybe requires some one to initiate ! I can make a mean pasta dish and like to cook… so will see! Thx again 3 weeks till I leave getting excited - Jen from Canada

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jen, my experience walking this last February was that the kinds of communal dinners you can find on the Frances are not a feature of this camino. But it was February and it's possible other options will open up as the season get's busier.
FWIW, in my view if the communal meal is something you value (as I do) then you have to work a little harder on this route to put it together yourself. The one truly lovely communal meal we managed was in the albergue in Caminha. Apart from being a nice albergue anyway, it has a full clean modern kitchen and utensils, just like you'd find at home - except more. And a big table in the kitchen that you can get at least ten around. There's a supermarket and other shops about 200m away so it's easy to source your meal's ingredients, plus drinks etc. I guess it was slightly easier in Feb because we had got to know everyone by name who was walking on the path by then. We of course invited the two outliers (from our 'group') in the albergue and I think they very much enjoyed the evening too.
The next evening many of the Caminha crew (who hadn't turned right to walk inland up the Minho) and some others took up residence in the Albergue de Estrela in Viladesuso. Options to cook were thin: a kitchen, but with only a microwave, and a Repsol gas station across the road selling basic provisions.. so we all went to the one bar restaurant open, also on the main road, where they gave us a big table and it ended up being very much like a communal dinner.
We did something similar in Caldas de Reis where the hospitalera told us the best traditional Galician restaurant in town was about to close as the old couple running it were retiring. That was enough information to sell it to all our acquaintances (basically everyone) staying at the albergue and we all ate together around one long table, ages 13-70, which was rather nice.
We managed quite a few other looser arrangements too, so by the end of the journey I felt I'd managed to achieve my full quota of excellent communal meals, even if they often strayed from the standard template... but it does take some planning, canniness and, ideally, recruiting a couple of partners-in-crime to help you organise.. good luck!
Thanks Tom - for the great info! I tried to link my reply but something did not work! So hope this works! I can cook a mean pasta and some great jambalaya if opportunity presents! Bon camino! Jen from🇨🇦

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back