• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Accommodations on Camino Portuguese Coastal Route

ColletteMa

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
Hello all!
I'm so grateful for this forum.
I am doing my first Camino with my adult children in the last two weeks of August from Porto to Santiago. I'm guessing that I will need to make reservations because it is August. I'm just not sure how this would work. What happens if we have a rough day and don't get as far as the place we have reservations at? And if the albergues don't take reservations is there a chance that we wouldn't be able to find accommodations?
Thank you so much. Collette

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Colette,

It can be a bit daunting. How many are in your party?

The first thing that I would suggest, is to get a good assessment of everyone’s fitness. Ideally you could do some trial hikes with packs and see how far your least fit person can go in 4 or six hours. Then you have somewhere to begin your planning.

It could be that 20km a day is not reasonable, because it’s either too far or too short.

You should definitely have reservations for your starting point and your next day, too.

As for the rest of the trip, you know after the first few days what’s realistic. Then you well have a better idea what you can plan.

Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, if you can't make it to your accommodation, just get a taxi there and the next day back to where you were and continue.

Once we learned this, the pressure came off. We no longer cared nor worried about a bed at night. So what if you have to taxi back to where you stopped? No one cares, do your own Camino.

Hello all!
I am doing my first Camino with my adult children in the last two weeks of August from Porto to Santiago. I'm guessing that I will need to make reservations because it is August. I'm just not sure how this would work. What happens if we have a rough day and don't get as far as the place we have reservations at? And if the albergues don't take reservations is there a chance that we wouldn't be able to find accommodations?
Whatever you do, be SURE to stay at Casa Fernanda in Lugar do Corgo (between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima). I have made 3 caminos, and this sweet albergue is by far the best! Wonderful sleeping beds with real sheets , generous farm to table dinner and breakfast. And a host that will make the whole group feel like family. It is all donation, and will show your family the true camino spirit.
Also, be sure to mention to all your accommodations that you are a family. You seem to get more private units or areas. Many "fancier" places offer pilgrim rates so be sure to ask.
Get ready to be blessed! And enjoy the journey!!

Thank you all for your responses!
There will be three of us in our party and I think that is a good idea to see how far I can go as I am the least fit person!
I like the idea of taking a taxi if need be and going back the next day to that spot. I wouldn't have thought of that.
So, do most albergues take reservations?
Thanks for the heads up about Casa Fernanda.
☀️Collette

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I walked the last 100 km of the Portuguese Central Camino last May. I don't know your financial constraints, but look into hotel accommodations as well as albergues. You won't have to worry about arriving late, and you won't have to leave by 8:30AM. But you will need reservations. Look into a company called Portuguese Green Walks. I have recommended them before on the forum, and I don't get any kickbacks. On two days we had to taxi back and forth to our hotel because the distance was too far. All that was figured about beforehand. They just made our Camino (husband and myself, age 72) worry free.

Whatever you do, be SURE to stay at Casa Fernanda in Lugar do Corgo (between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima). I have made 3 caminos, and this sweet albergue is by far the best! Wonderful sleeping beds with real sheets , generous farm to table dinner and breakfast. And a host that will make the whole group feel like family. It is all donation, and will show your family the true camino spirit.
Also, be sure to mention to all your accommodations that you are a family. You seem to get more private units or areas. Many "fancier" places offer pilgrim rates so be sure to ask.
Get ready to be blessed! And enjoy the journey!!
Hello, I’m trying to make at Casa Fernanda but can’t find any way other than to call, and I don’t speak a bit of Portuguese. do you know if anyone at the albergue speaks English? Thank you.

Hello all!

I walked the Portuguese Coastal from Porto to Santiago during May 2023. I only made a reservation in advance for my first night near Porto. After that I booked either the night before or same day. I stayed in a mix of hostels, rooms in private houses, and small hotels. Never had a problem getting accommodation at short notice.

I liked the flexibility. For example, when I was having a late lunch in Guarda, Spain I decided I was too tired to walk further, went on Booking.com and found a room in the town. And the hotel owner gave me a packed lunch for the next day!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello all!
I am doing my first Camino with my adult children in the last two weeks of August from Porto to Santiago. I'm guessing that I will need to make reservations because it is August.
Keep in mind that August is the holiday month for most of the locals, and going "to the beach" is quite a standard holiday for the Portuguese.

So the coastal route north of Porto may have more local demand for accommodation than would be typical for the rest of the year, and plan accordingly.

Bom caminho!

Hello, I’m trying to make at Casa Fernanda but can’t find any way other than to call, and I don’t speak a bit of Portuguese. do you know if anyone at the albergue speaks English? Thank you.
Fernanda speaks English.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back