• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ideas on ways to extend the Coastal Camino portuguese

Jensjaunt

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept Oct - Camino Francis
Hello- I am in the planning stage for my 2nd Camino - Portuguese Coastal w Spiritual variant. ( 1st was Francis from SJPD). I think , given my turtle pace (18 or less km per day) I will have around 4 or 5 additional days so am looking to tap into the wisdom and experience of the forum for options for extending my walk? Love to hear suggestions or thoughts on
- maybe starting somewhere south of Porto? Any suggestions on places to start? ( I am planning on the coastal and spiritual variant) I am not too keen on road walking and from guide books it does sound like S of Porto there is a lot of this?
- maybe consider building in additional rest days where there are cultural or spiritual sites close by? Suggestions?
- do I revisit part of the CF?
Or other ideas?
I am traveling solo, older female.
Many thanks!
Jen

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The bit of the camino into Porto wasn't "exciting", and I don't think I would add walking into Porto onto your camino plan. But I do love Portugal- and there are some great places like Tomar and Coimbra that fall on the CP and have transport links.

Hello- I am in the planning stage for my 2nd Camino - Portuguese Coastal w Spiritual variant. ( 1st was Francis from SJPD). I think , given my turtle pace (18 or less km per day) I will have around 4 or 5 additional days so am looking to tap into the wisdom and experience of the forum for options for extending my walk? Love to hear suggestions or thoughts on
- maybe starting somewhere south of Porto? Any suggestions on places to start? ( I am planning on the coastal and spiritual variant) I am not too keen on road walking and from guide books it does sound like S of Porto there is a lot of this?
- maybe consider building in additional rest days where there are cultural or spiritual sites close by? Suggestions?
Or other ideas?
Many thanks!
Jen
As well as the coastal path there is the seaside or Atlantico path which includes boardwalks and a bit of beach. It passes a lot of places where farmers are drying kelp to fertilise the land, old sea ponds etc.
it can interact with the coastal if you wish.
Spiritual Variation a must.

Attachments

• IMG_1995.jpeg
    IMG_1995.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1993.jpeg
    IMG_1993.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1961.jpeg
    IMG_1961.jpeg
    915.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1962.jpeg
    IMG_1962.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
As well as the coastal path there is the seaside or Atlantico path which includes boardwalks and a bit of beach. It passes a lot of places where farmers are drying kelp to fertilise the land, old sea ponds etc.
You’re suggesting there is a difference between the coastal path and the Atlantico path. I can find no reference to Atlantic path differing from the coastal. Please explain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Or other ideas?
Many thanks!
Jen
One option you might wish to consider is, when you reach Caminha on the Minho River, swing east and do the riverside ecopista walk to Valença, which has a scenic 17th century fortress. From there, you can also walk across the river and explore the Spanish town of Tui, which has an interesting Gothic cathedral. Then you can return to Caminha (either by walking or take the train) and resume the coastal by crossing the Minho and heading north. Here's a recent thread on that riverside walk: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-between-caminha-and-tui.85834/#post-1238188

But I do love Portugal- and there are some great places like Tomar and Coimbra that fall on the CP and have transport links.
I have visited both Tomar and Coimbra as part of a family vacation and I agree they would be wonderful additions to the OP's Camino. Or If the flight is to Lisbon, consider a couple of days there, including Sintra, as an option; or consider the Finesterre, Muxia option already mentioned if you prefer to continue the "Camino feel".

Have you ever walked from Santiago to Muxia/Fisterra ?
If you have not yet, you should !
Thank you! I did go to Fisterra by bus at the end of my Camino Francis …. Will look into maybe walking from Muxia to Santiago - have you done that route? Tnx Jen

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One option you might wish to consider is, when you reach Caminha on the Minho River, swing east and do the riverside ecopista walk to Valença, which has a scenic 17th century fortress. From there, you can also walk across the river and explore the Spanish town of Tui, which has an interesting Gothic cathedral. Then you can return to Caminha (either by walking or take the train) and resume the coastal by crossing the Minho and heading north. Here's a recent thread on that riverside walk: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-between-caminha-and-tui.85834/#post-1238188
Thank you what a great idea- will explore!

The bit of the camino into Porto wasn't "exciting", and I don't think I would add walking into Porto onto your camino plan. But I do love Portugal- and there are some great places like Tomar and Coimbra that fall on the CP and have transport links.
Thank you - I will look into transport links as there is the added appeal of Fatima. Any hints on best sites to use for transport that are easy to use? As a Canadian I have not done much Europe travel - and my Spanish is lite and Portuguese nonexistent. Thx Jen

I have visited both Tomar and Coimbra as part of a family vacation and I agree they would be wonderful additions to the OP's Camino. Or If the flight is to Lisbon, consider a couple of days there, including Sintra, as an option; or consider the Finesterre, Muxia option already mentioned if you prefer to continue the "Camino feel".
Thank you - I will explore these towns - I am just arranging flights - from Western Canada - so will explore flying into Lisbon - trying to not go thru Heathrow or have 3 stops!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you for the photos looks beautiful!

Thank you! I did go to Fisterra by bus at the end of my Camino Francis …. Will look into maybe walking from Muxia to Santiago - have you done that route? Tnx Jen
I have walked from Santiago to Muxia, then Fisterra.
It does make sens to walk in that direction, toward the ocean:
- after that there is no more way: you have reached the end of the land.
- if you are found of shrines, Virgen de la Barca en Muxia is a conveninent target.

Hi Jen, this is a kind of second-hand recommendation as I haven't done it myself, but a pilgrim friend did it, and had a great time - BRAGA! I saw the pics, heard the stories - and it looked fab.
She took the bus from the coast at around Fao/Eposende (probably at the end of your third or fourth day out of Porto) and spent a couple of nights there, then went back to the coast and resumed where she had left off. I think it's a less disruptive option than Tomar or Coimbra (both are great) because it's much easier to get to, and they are so far south of Porto. Let's see if anyone else (who has actually been there) has an upvote for Braga...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jen, this is a kind of second-hand recommendation as I haven't done it myself, but a pilgrim friend did it, and had a great time - BRAGA! I saw the pics, heard the stories - and it looked fab.
She took the bus from the coast at around Fao/Eposende (probably at the end of your third or fourth day out of Porto) and spent a couple of nights there, then went back to the coast and resumed where she had left off. I think it's a less disruptive option than Tomar or Coimbra (both are great) because it's much easier to get to, and they are so far south of Porto. Let's see if anyone else (who has actually been there) has an upvote for Braga...
Thank you Tom - yes keen to hear more! Will also explore on line.

You’re suggesting there is a difference between the coastal path and the Atlantico path. I can find no reference to Atlantic path differing from the coastal. Please explain.
Presumably the poster meant the Senda Litoral, a variant on some stages which hugs the coast more tightly than the ‘coastal’ path.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back