Advice needed on Camino ‘organised tours’

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
Time of past OR future Camino
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
Err…

I’m asking for advice this time...There have been quite a few threads on organised ‘camino tours’ and I never paid much attention but now I need them I can’t find them!

I walked with a friend this April/May… It didn’t work out. Oh, we got on fine, no problems that side we are very good friends - and still are! - but.. she couldn’t walk after one week. Her ankles, her feet…. Everything hurt! Nightmare. She could barely stand by the time we reached Santo Domingo 😓

I am no doctor but I suspect her pack was too heavy. I can’t understand it because she is much fitter than I am!

But what do I know..

Anyway….

She was very upset at having to give up, she really wanted to walk this Camino.

I’m thinking an ‘organised’ camino might help her to finally reach Santiago, another time.

Her needs? (imo) Pack transfer, walking in company of other people (she won’t consider doing it alone), accommodation booked ahead and ideally a car available should she need it….

A lot to ask I know.

Any suggestions? Many thanks 😎

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Nov 9, 2014
Kent, UK
canterburypilgrim.wordpress.com
A "Tourigrino" trip once Covid has passed, so 2023
Err…

I’m asking for advice this time...There have been quite a few threads on organised ‘camino tours’ and I never paid much attention but now I need them I can’t find them!

I walked with a friend this April/May… It didn’t work out. Oh, we got on fine, no problems that side we are very good friends - and still are! - but.. she couldn’t walk after one week. Her ankles, her feet…. Everything hurt! Nightmare. She could barely stand by the time we reached Santo Domingo 😓

I am no doctor but I suspect her pack was too heavy. I can’t understand it because she is much fitter than I am!

But what do I know..

Anyway….

I’m thinking an ‘organised’ camino might help her to finally reach Santiago, another time.

Her needs? (imo) Pack transfer, walking in company of other people (she won’t consider doing it alone), accommodation booked ahead and ideally a car available should she need it….

A lot to ask I know.

Our own and much loved @Anniesantiago could help perhaps? Or @Elle Bieling?

Apr 13, 2019
PNW in the USA
My Dearest and some close acquaintances speak highly of 'Fresco Tours' if Annie and Ellie are not available for the timing available to your friend.

Everything is available that you inquired about plus meals. (The Dearest prefers being a 'Pampered Pilgrim' in distinct contrast to her knuckledragger of a husband. Oh, sorry...that adjective probably applies to a lot of us here.;))

B

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Maxy

Maxy
Dec 25, 2017
Gloucester UK
Norte 2018 cycle
Saria - Finisterre - Muxia 2019
I have used a couple of firms and they were both great - second was not a UK one so we 'lost' ABTA cover although that didn't then matter. Saga used to do an organised tour but my wife gathered her own 'group' when she mentioned that she wanted to take it on (from Sarria) perhaps that is another way. In Covid times we also booked meals in the evening which saved foraging (which I prefer as its fun!). We used Correos in preference to the offered services which saved a lot. We used Taxis when required, normally when we had overshot or, as I would recommend, when we stayed for more than one night in a hotel/Pension (1 or 2 star) when we could wash our kit. Good luck

Reactions: domigee
Jan 12, 2015
Completed one 550 Miile and six partial caminos
Err…

But what do I know..

Anyway….

A lot to ask I know.

Try Iberian Adventures. A superb company based in Spain and know every inch of the Camino. They will always book you in places actually in the Camino unlike some other companies.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Feb 25, 2022
Lanark uk
Done Frances , invierno May 2022, CF 2022
Err…

But what do I know..

Anyway….

A lot to ask I know.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

auburnfive

Veteran Member
May 26, 2008
Spanishsteps.com has very well supported small group tours, staying in Casa rurales, with gourmet meals and a support vehicle along side for luggage or tired pilgrims. Very expensive but highly recommended from an acquaintance who took one of their tours a few years ago.

Reactions: domigee

Juno

Aug 27, 2014
Oxfordshire, UK
Camino French Way (2012 - 2014)
SJPDP - Sahagun (June 2015)
Sahagun - Muxia (June 2016)
Err…

But what do I know..

Anyway….

A lot to ask I know.

I’ve used Camino Ways and Follow the Camino based in Dublin but my favourite was with Spain is more. Reliable, friendly, patient with all my changes and you get a personalised itinerary and some excursions thrown in. There‘s Macs Adventures but I’ve not used them. It’s a good idea to get a quote from several as they vary a bit and also some include HB others just breakfast.

Reactions: dbier and domigee
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Zennor

Jan 26, 2022
UK
Apr-May 2022 Portuguese from Tui
Having used a company called for my first Camino experience would advise against the half board, as it’s nice to have flexibility to chose the time and place where you eat.
I agree with that. We were on an organised trip this year with everything booked but we weren't in a group. We had walking notes and GPX trax to follow. Most evenings were half-board and we would have liked to have had the option to eat out and choose simple menus or tapas. We're now planning next year on our own.

domigee

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2013
UK/Spain
2024 Paris to SdC... maybe
Sounds like there are some excellent "what to do" suggestions here. What I would caution your friend NOT to do is end up with a company that takes you just to the "highlight" spots and then helps you get a compostela despite having done most of it on a luxury bus.
I agree, I don’t think she would like that!

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides