• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Advice needed on travel from Tomar to Porto

Vermont Pat

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016, 2017, V F 2021, Le Puy 2023, CP 2024
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you recommend? Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you recommend? Thanks!
Walking?
If not walking I would probably take the train, but I'm not that well versed in Portuguese transport options. Hopefully @jungleboy will see this post. He lived in Portugal for a number of years.

There are trains but they’re not direct, and many require two changes. This is the website of CP (the Portuguese train operator).

A bus might be more convenient. Rede Expressos and Flixbus are the main operators in Portugal. Flixbus doesn’t do Tomar-Porto but does do Fátima-Porto.

Good luck!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Jungleboy is right. I just checked the CP app and found that Tomar to Porto generally takes about 4 hours and involves two changes of train, at Lamarosa and Coimbra. If you can find a direct bus, that's the preferred option I would think.

I took the train from Tomar a couple of years ago because the temps were over 100. You need to go South a short way to Entroncamento and then up to Porto. You might consider a day in Tomar. It's beautiful there and the Castle is one of the best and most beautiful I've seen. Have fun.

Fatima is a fairly quick bus ride from Tomar, ha hour and a half or so if I remember correctly. Fatima is worth seeing. They do not charge see the church as many other places do. The gigantic plaza between the other buildings is a great sight. Just imagine it full of pilgrims. I did not stay for the candlelight procession, but people tell me it is beautiful and touching. I did walk by the area where people light candles and pray. The amount of wax flowing is incredible. They have vacuums to pick up what has missed the drain.
If you are walking from Tomar to Porto, to me that was the worst day of my Camino from Lisbon to Santiago. I did not start until 10 as I wanted to walk to the Templar castle in Tomar first. The walk from Tomar to Cortica was hot and hilly. I think there should be a plenary indulgence awarded for walking through eucalyptus forests on a hot day. They suck the air out of you as you are trying to breathe it in. Also, a lot of the path skirts the towns, so there is not much water available. I saw a firend eating a popsicle at a bar at the top of the first steep climb out of Tomar. I kept going which was a big mistake. I finished my water and figured I would pass a town. The trail was always on the outskirts of them. I was literally staggering when I saw a man working on a house. He offered me water. He did tell me that he was making the house into an albergue since there were such long distances there without water. After that, the next place to get a drink was a gas station about 150 meters away from where the camino crosses a highway. If you are walking, take plenty of water.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I strongly recommend walking - relaxing, improves fitness and physical and mental health...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Jungleboy, with respect your statement "most people would not agree with that" does beg the question. Walking the caminos is a very personal thing and each person looks for different experiences.
All the people in my group loved to enjoy the Portuguese culture experience along the way, not just the major cities.
I suppose we must agree to disagree.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...
We arrived in Porto by train from Lisbon yesterday afternoon. Long haul from Australia via Singapore, Milan and Madrid departed April 23. Our first encounter with other pilgrams was when 3...
Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back