Age restriction for children?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

mralisn

Mar 21, 2010
California
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP-SdC (2005), Camino Norte-Fisterra (2010), SJPdP-Muxia-Fisterra (2012), Camino Norte w/Primitivo-Muxia-Fisterra (2014), Camino Portuguese (2016)
Although I do not know of the age requirement (if one), but I did learn a little about the "other" compostela you might be seeking. These are for those peregrinos who choose to not declare spiritual/religious reasons for their Camino. Perhaps this is what the children will receive?

Hola

Here is the link http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/pilgri ... ompostela/ and this is the Cathedral of Santiago's policy:

"Children walking the Camino: Children who have made the pilgrimage with parents, or in a group, and who have an understanding of the religious and spiritual nature of the Camino may also receive a Compostela. However if they are not yet old enough a certificate can be provided which bears the child’s name. In the case of very young children their names can be inscribed on the Compostela of the accompanying adult. If you have any questions about this please ask in the Pilgrims’ Office."

Often in Spain this is generally taken to be the "age of consent" i.e the age at which a child would prepare for their First Communion. This differs from country to country for example in the UK the age of consent would probably be taken as 7 years of age whereas in Spain it is around 9 years of age. Hence the careful wording of the policy. If you have any difficulty on arrival at the office and the alternative certificate is not satisfactory simply ask to see one of the supervisors.

I hope this helps.

John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

grayland

Veteran Member
Dec 29, 2008
Tucson, Arizona
Yes
Please note that JohnnieWalker advises that the "First Communion.." is used only as a reference point for...."age of consent" i.e the age at which a child would prepare for their First Communion."...

The reference to first communion is to establish an age... There is no requirement to be a Catholic or to participate in any Catholic activity. It is not required to even be Baptized or a Christian.
You will not be asked about first communion.

waveprof

Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2013
New Orleans, LA & Donostia, E.H.
elpequenoperegrino.blogspot.com
May-June 2013, Camino Frances
Children as young as 3 and 4 have gotten a compestella. The dividing line is if they can communicate that they "understood" the spiritual nature of their pilgrimage. It depends largely on the person at the desk. Some require full sentences, some yes's to pertinent questions, some simply shaking of head. Others would look at age of consent (i.e. communion), so 7 or so. It depends who you get at the desk. Our 14 month old did not qualify because he wasn't talking much at all yet, but the person at the desk gave him a chance. Just depends how sympathetic your desk person is.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...
Walking the Camino Frances, since the 16th there has been a lot of mud on the trail but doable until today on the way to Pamplona! It got very difficult with the mud on the pass high up beside...
I'm flying from the USA to start my Camino this week. I will check my backpack, and to protect it, I will ship it in a plastic storage bin like this one: Rather than shipping the storage bin to...
I started out from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port on 1 May. It turned out to be an unforgetable day. Above 1,000 m or so it snowed, catching many people unprepared. Later that day "many" walkers were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.