Alternative route out of León

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
I am walking from León to Villar de Mazarife tomorrow using the route recommended by Headwater. Does anyone know whether this route is way marked?
Yes. The branch off the main route is on the edge of town about 500m beyond the modern Virgen del Camino basilica. Very well signposted.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Jul 1, 2009
Norway
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
am walking from León to Villar de Mazarife tomorrow using the route recommended by Headwater. Does anyone know whether this route is way marked?
Some 7 kms after Leon, you come to La Virgen del Caminoo. Shortly after, you go down some steps, and then there is an arrow to the left, leading on. This alternative route is peaceful and cannot be missed: It is also well marked.

You have made a wise decision. Lovely alternative. The primary route is pure disgusting. Albergue Casa de Jesus is nice in Villar de Mazarife.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Liddy

Jul 4, 2023
Mercer Island, Wa.
Sept 22 to Oct. 18, 2023
Yes. The branch off the main route is on the edge of town about 500m beyond the modern Virgen del Camino basilica. Very well signposted.
The alternative route sounds lovely and much better - we have reservations at Villadangos del Paramo. The normal route is 13 miles- does anyone know what the distance would be for the detour? Thanks very much - beginning our adventure from Leon on 9/24

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: alexwalker

catperson

Apr 30, 2017
well marked and both albergues in mazariffe are lovely. I stayed at private albergue in right side as y ou enter town and was treated to my best meal on the Camino. My daughter stayed at the other one and had equally good time. This was a lovely alternate

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: alexwalker
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

peter4lc

Apr 17, 2018
St Jean to Logrono September 2018
Thank you for your replies. I did the alternative route on Saturday and it was supremely well signposted all the way from the turning just past Virgen del Camino to Mazarife. I had the good fortune to walk with a French choir from Nancy near Metz. They did an impromptu performance in Virgen del Camino. We stayed in the same hotel and then walked together on Sunday morning before saying goodbye near Hospital de Órbigo. Thank you in particular to Miriam and Simone for your welcome.

• Buen Camino!
Reactions: Bradypus and SabsP

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am 16 days out from "boots on the ground" on the Frances route. As I am a solo female pilgrim My family wants to be able to find me any time day or night as I make my way across Spain...
I was trying to buy an Alsa bus ticket on-line to take us from Pamplona to SJPDP. It ask for a "document" and document number? Passport isn't mentioned and it wont let me make a purchase without...
Some news that was posted on Facebook by Johnnie Walker which I'm sure he won't mind my repeating here. Not sure who his informant was. The post was quite long but I'll just repost it here in...
Ryanair have announced that after November they will no longer be flying to/from Bordeaux. Unfortunate for those heading for SJPDP as it is a useful alternative to Biarritz...
hello - Does anyone have a suggested app that i can both track my progress along the route and share real time location? i know how to share real time on google maps but. or route progress. thank you!
I’m going to be getting the Monbus from Lavacolla just outside Santiago airport to Samos on Tuesday Is it worth booking online or ok to pay cash on the bus? Any thoughts would be welcome. Pay on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides