• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternatives on the Camino Frances - 2 - PANTANO DE LA GRAJERA (after Logroño) > NAVARRETE

GunnarW

Time of past OR future Camino
2011+ > Spain, Belgium, France
Read the previous episode here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-camino-frances-1-lintzoain-zabaldika.86049/

This is episode two looking for alternatives around the Camino Frances. There is something attractive between Estella and Los Arcos. Most will have seen the beautiful cliffs on the right.

01 (715).JPGSurely it must be great to be able to walk up those. I have studied that and there are effectively places where you can hike easily up. However, those cliffs are about 20 km away. So you already need two days and then you have to look for accommodation options nearby. Maybe next time. Between Estella and Los Arcos I did take the alternative left, through an oak forest. A very nice stretch however you then miss the passage past Villamayor de Monjardín. That circuit is described and signposted.
Here's another alternative I discovered myself. This short circuit is not signposted. It is therefore best to follow it using a GPS or application on your smartphone. I use Mapy CZ and did a download of the country Spain in advance so that I can view the map even if there is no or poor coverage. I do recommend this.

2. PANTANO DE LA GRAJERA - NAVARRETE

ALT-PANTANO DE LA GRAJERA - NAVARRETE.png

01 (975).JPG

After Logroño, walk to the park which ends at the Grajera reservoir. After the reservoir, the camino runs to the N120 and then continues to Navarrete. I remembered that you come across 1 of 91 remaining Osborne bulls standing on a knoll. I looked at the map and saw that there was a possibility to bypass the stretch along the N120 and basically arrive at the bull.

01 (991).JPG

01 (997).JPG

At the grape field, there is a little road uphill. That leads to a fence. Walk on the road to the left between the grape / olive field and the fence. At the ROAD WORKS point, work was in progress (no workmen were seen) and there was a plastic ribbon stretched because one day, I suspect, they were going to pour a concrete trench. I easily found the road towards the bull by going under the ribbon. Probably the workmen didn't think they had blocked a path with the ribbon. Then again, not many walkers will be hanging around there either. Once at the bull, you do get a sense of how the monument is put together. And you also get a nice view. You easily walk back to the Camino Frances.

01 (1001).JPG

01 (1006).JPG

01 (1009).JPG

01 (1011).JPG

Length of the extra circuit: 3.4 km, good for an hour.
Length of the Camino Frances you don't walk: 1.7 km, good for 20 minutes.
So ideal if you are going to spend the night in Naverrete and have some spare time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
A small correction is needed. Until 1988, there was an abundance of all kind of advertising panels along roads in Spain. At the time, these all had to go. There were protests against the Osborne panels. These were then finally allowed to stay because they were linked to the patrimony. The designation then had to go.
You can still see a bit of the "Osborne" designation in the oblique close-up photo. You can easily see the middle "o" and then slide up to the left.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back