• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alternatives to Sarria to SDC

MARSKA

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept/Oct 2023
I'm in Samos tonight and will be walking through Sarria tomorrow. Looking ahead, I realize that I have no real excitement about the walk from Sarria to SDC and am thinking about alternatives but being unfamiliar with other routes I'm not sure what will work. I'm hoping to gather some ideas from forum members. Maybe just a "taste" of another route?

I fly out of Madrid on May 20th so I need to be in Madrid on the 19th. Ideas?

Gracias!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm in Samos tonight and will be walking through Sarria tomorrow. Looking ahead, I realize that I have no real excitement about the walk from Sarria to SDC and am thinking about alternatives but being unfamiliar with other routes I'm not sure what will work. I'm hoping to gather some ideas from forum members. Maybe just a "taste" of another route?

Gracias!

Maybe the last stages of the Sanabres? From Ourense? Direct trains from Sarria to Ourense.

At this stage you will need to take a bus to reach another route, which will eat up about a day of your schedule. How about staying in different towns than you did last year?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmmm...starting from Samos, I'm having trouble finding lodging within 25km, unless I stay in Sarria which is only 10k and puts me on the usual stages. What town do you suggest after Samos? Last year I walked from Samos to Sarria and then, because it was pouring rain, I took the bus from Sarria to Portomarin.

Really? Have done Sarria to Santiago twice in the last year. Many things to see and visit on the route! Iron age castro, Pembre Castle, Vilar de Donas church, etc. Good services along the way.
Yes you are right. I think I'm just hungry and tired and thus low energy so I'm frustrated with trying to find a place to sleep tomorrow (I've whatsapped several & no reply)which makes me feel discouraged.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
At this stage you will need to take a bus to reach another route, which will eat up about a day of your schedule. How about staying in different towns than you did last year?
Yeah it wil eat at least 1 day. Should stay on route. Last year it was Samos, Portomarin (bussed), Pais del Rey, Melide, Azura, Lavacolla. Maybe Sarria makes the most sense but I was trying to get beyond...and places aren't getting back to me which is concerning.

18-23k seems to be my sweet spot.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hmmm...starting from Samos, I'm having trouble finding lodging within 25km, unless I stay in Sarria which is only 10k and puts me on the usual stages. What town do you suggest after Samos? Last year I walked from Samos to Sarria and then, because it was pouring rain, I took the bus from Sarria to Portomarin.
Did you try Casa Barbadelo? One year when they were full on booking.com three of us got beds when we called.

My plan is Samos to Barbadelo.

You can take many buses a day from Sarria to Lugo (Monbus busline) and follow the Primitivo to the CF at Melide to skip some of the CF or take one of the Via Verdes (rail trails in the US) to skip more. You will still be qualified for a compostela.

See these posts of mine for introductions to topics and links for more information.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-qualify-for-certificate.82572/#post-1173441

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-qualify-for-certificate.82572/#post-1173792

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Gracias!

I walked in the fall of 2022. I found the walking over the last stretch very pleasant. Avoid the guide book stage towns.

The only major stage town I stayed in over the last 100+ km was Portomarin (And I had planned to skip that town too. But the albergue in Vilachá, where I wanted to stay closed for the season early.)

After Samos, I stayed at:

Vilei (walking through Sarria)
Portomarin (town was busy, but found a room in a Hostel)
Airexe
Melide (large community mid stage, many accomodations)
Os Pendos (Nice albergue 800 meters off the camino, but a short-cut to get back on the way.)
Armenal (splurged on the small hotel here, with a restaurant.)

If I get the chance to walk this way again, I will try to skip Portomarin.

Do you feel you must have a private room? Do you feel you need a reservation? Several places on Booking still open. Sarria is small town. HR albergue still has beds on booking.com as does Puente Riberia which are closer to the bus station than the monastery up on top of the hill.

Hola in both 2015 and 2017 I avoided staying in Sarria. It just did not grab me. I went on via the railway crossing and found another albergue Carmen something!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2023 my party was taken off the Camino Frances a couple towns past O Cebreiro, Taxing to Sarria, and then to Lugo for medical attention (everyone was fine in the end). But anyways we really really really enjoyed spending a day in Lugo and then walking on the Primitivo into SDC. It was honestly such a breath of fresh air after being on the Frances, and we felt that the locals especially in Lugo had less pilgrim fatigue (this was in early November). I would 100% recommend this detour. Plus the municipals along that route were really charming and had 1-3 other pilgrims in them.

Interesting, I just finished walking the last segment of the Camino, from Pamplona to Santiago. At 79, not sure how many partial Camiinos I have left in me, but I really have an itch to go from Sarria to Santiago again. Been that route twice before, but to me, it is the best part. Lots of people from all over the globe, fairly easy, and lots of places to stay at, and get a beer. To me a relaxing and happy way to finish the Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many...
I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic. If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met...
Can someone put together a calendar of holidays in Spain for pilgrims to use as part of their planning? I’ve never gotten stuck, but it seems that, once or twice, posters are caught trying to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.