• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Altus poncho and windbreaker jacket?

Therese81

Hi all!

In your opinion do I need an Altus and a windbreaker jacket? Or can I just use the Altus if it gets too windy. I'm also taking a lightwight fleece and a longsleeved icebreaker. I'm leaving in the beginning of June.

I was thinking I would buy my Altus when I get to St Jean, are they usually in stock or should I reserve one?

All advice is appreciated :)
Regards Therese

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a cold-weather walker, I've adopted a policy of not carrying on my back what I can wear on my back. The Altus is stable in wind, and can also be converted to a simple long coat. I think there's a strong case for using it as the wind layer. Won't be as good dedicated windbreakers, Goretex etc, but, if combined with some smart layers, it should do the job. As bonus, it covers much more of the body than any jacket.

I've also decided that, since I'm such a slow and waddly walker, I may be able to go without trekking poles. This means I can tuck my hands into the sleeves of the Altus in wet weather. I really don't like exposing my hands to rain and cold, no matter what gloves I'm wearing. Of course, people who aren't slow and waddly will want their trekking poles. In that case, the sleeves of the Altus are pretty generous and one can draw them over most of the hand while poling.

An Altus can sell for as low as 30 euros. If it cost 300 euros...I'd still have to at least think about owning one. It could be improved without sacrificing simplicity, and I hope that happens one day.

Therese, for June I'd say it's a no-brainer to combine Altus with ice-breaker. One can still have severe cold-snaps at that time, but I certainly wouldn't be shy of leaving the wind-breaker at home. Mind you, I have no experience of a summer Camino, so the opinion of others may be needed.

Lastly, I saw heaps of Altus on sale in Saint-Jean.

robertt said:
An Altus can sell for as low as 30 euros... Lastly, I saw heaps of Altus on sale in Saint-Jean.

The only online ones seem to be 43 euros so a link would be useful to cheaper ones.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
T-shirt, shirt, fleece, and poncho will be plenty of layers for any cold weather you might hit in June.

David, the 30 euros is not an online or linkable price. It's just what I've seen them selling for in shops in Spain. They weren't that available in France, but I saw lots of them in SJPDP going pretty cheap. Wish I could be more exact for you. Also, mine is a zipped version, which I greatly prefer. I seem to recall that there are non-zipped versions - though I may be wrong here - and perhaps these are the cheapest.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
Thank you guys for your replies! No windbreaker it is :) it was the answer i was hoping for. Less is more.

I've also made a reservation for an Altus via Annies post from Pierre.

Therese

Most read last week in this forum

I've now completed 3 Caminos including the Francés, Inglés (with a León-Sarria side trip) and Arles-Aragónes-Francés. I've hiked and backpacked most of my life. I've learned from others and by...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.