• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Another Boring Kit Thread

Mzlaidlaw

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2024
Camino Frances SJPP 3rd July - Santiago 7th August.

All good? Need to add sunscreen, and toiletries.

Clothes:

• 1x Poncho
  • 1x Shirt
  • 2 x long sleeve footy
  • 2x Shorts
  • 1 x trackie
  • 2 x Shoes
  • 3x Socks
  • 2x Boxers
  • 1x Hat
  • 1 x sunnys
  • 1x PJB
  • 1x tee

Equipment:

• Sleeping bag liner
  • Poles
  • Bladder
  • Bag
  • Headlamp

Medical:

• Blister Kit
  • Feet support

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Looking good, but what is a footy, a sunny, and a trackie?

Apologies! Scots language is not descriptive, haha.

Footy = DriFit Football shirt (longsleeve)
Sunny = Sunglasses (UV protective)
Trackie = Quick dry tracksuit bottoms.
And here was me thinking you were an Aussie! 🇦🇺 We use all of those terms & many more in the same vein... 🤭
👣🌏 🐨🦘

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You don’t need a headlamp in August.

Three shirts and two pairs of boxers? I’d reverse that.

Assume one pair of shoes is very lightweight?
i kidnly disagree. while in august 2022 it was so hot, that i woke up long before sunrise to walk while its still cool. i needed my headlight for those first few hours. Also - in albuerge if you wake up earlier or need to go to bathroom during night, it is handy. there are headlight that are ultra leight, getting only 40-60 extra gramms in your pack, back helpful in some situations.

I am not a fan of the headlamp in the bunk room. I use a tiny red map reading light pointed only at the floor. If you an early riser, please leave the bunk room like a ghost. Quietly throw all your belongings into the middle of your sleep sack and carry them out to the common room to pack to avoid disturbing others.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am not a fan of the headlamp in the bunk room. I use a tiny red map reading light pointed only at the floor. If you an early riser, please leave the bunk room like a ghost. Quietly throw all your belongings into the middle of your sleep sack and carry them out to the common room to pack to avoid disturbing others.
I totally agree with being quiet. about lights at night - my headlight has though a red light too, excactly not to disturb others. theres nothing worse than trying to rest and be aimed with a white pointy light to your face. brrr

I am a total fan of headlamp in room. Stops them from turning on sidelamps and overhead. I have this headlamp and it works awesome- the red lamp is perfect brightness as to not disturb others - its only 1.5 oz, usb-c rechargable and the band glows in the dark- I used to use a small red flashlight for fishing but hands free is best 😝

Nitecore NU21 Running Headlamp, 360 Lumen Ultralight USB-C Rechargeable with White and Red LEDs

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Old California dude here- thank you for the education- I did not know this- tubular and gnarly vocab dude 😝
Good Ol' ex-SoCal Valley girl here - Like OMG - gag me with a spoon!! 🤣 I love the slang from other parts of the world. It makes life more fun and interesting.

@Mzlaidlaw
One of the perks of being male on the Camino, a very simple kit. It will be hot, I did my last Camino in 2019 during this time and I was so happy to be a natural early riser. Start early, stop early before the heat really kicks in. I used my cell phone light during the early morning departure but have used a headlamp in the past, either one will get you going in the dark. Please me mindful of sleeping heads. Yes, become an Albergue ninja - quiet as a mouse when leaving. Unfortunately, some have not learned this skill yet, the hope is they will catch on.

I'm very excited for you and Buen Camino!
:cool:👣🌻

Good Ol' ex-SoCal Valley girl here - Like OMG - gag me with a spoon!! 🤣 I love the slang from other parts of the world. It makes life more fun and interesting.

@Mzlaidlaw
One of the perks of being male on the Camino, a very simple kit. It will be hot, I did my last Camino in 2019 during this time and I was so happy to be a natural early riser. Start early, stop early before the heat really kicks in. I used my cell phone light during the early morning departure but have used a headlamp in the past, either one will get you going in the dark. Please me mindful of sleeping heads. Yes, become an Albergue ninja - quiet as a mouse when leaving. Unfortunately, some have not learned this skill yet, the hope is they will catch on.

I'm very excited for you and Buen Camino!
I had to give lessons on the albergue ninja tactics to my university student group on the Camino last winter... I remember on my first Camino being in awe of a guy who was an experienced pilgrim and that he never woke anyone in the bunk room. He was there and then he was gone each morning!

I had to give lessons on the albergue ninja tactics to my university student group on the Camino last winter... I remember on my first Camino being in awe of a guy who was an experienced pilgrim and that he never woke anyone in the bunk room. He was there and then he was gone each morning!
Yes, yes, this is the goal. I was told by my fellow pilgrims whom I ran into in the afternoons. When did you leave? Never a peep. 🤫 It's fun to challenge yourself. How quiet can I be today? Good for you for teaching this very important Albergue etiquette. I hope you had good students.

@Mzlaidlaw

You're going to have the time of your life.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Assuming PJ bottoms?

I leave right after you on the 11th, but we will likely not meet. I think though you were the Scot on Reddit I have to thank for reminding me of San Fermin. As a result I have made plans appropriately and booked a hotel weeks ago for when I get to Pamplona on the 14th. Thanks for that! The festival has also affected other lodging including the closure of Albergue Lorentz in Burguete for the staff to take a vacation, I have learned. I went ahead and booked everything through my second night in Pamplona so I can be sure.

I'm not putting my pack list on here. Everyone will rip me apart for my luxury items! LOL! Don't worry folks, I am an experienced outdoors backpacker and I know what I'm getting into.

It's gonna be a hot one, Mzlaidlaw! Buen Camino! Stay cool!

I met a Korean woman yesterday who has the most minimal kit if anyone I've met. She has no backpack or bag of any kind. Everything goes into her pockets! The downside was that she had to put on wet socks this morning - her only pair.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I typically wash my clothes by hand with a bar of Lagarto soap. It’s non-chemical and is the soap I was introduced to back in Spain in the 70s. When you wash clothes by hand, you typically rub...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.