• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any advice from Sarria to Santiago?

Audrey35

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking from Santiago to muxia last year...walking from Sarria to Santiago in April
Hi all!
I'm new to this forum...looking forward to lots of camino advice! Last year I walked from Santiago to Finisterre.. Next April I plan on going from Sarria to Santiago.

Just wondering has anyone any advice on this route especially re hostels to avoid!
I'm travelling this time with a friend who's new to the camino. We have a week in total... Hoping to cover 20 kms most days and have a full day to relax n Santiago ... Is this possible? Is it a difficult route? Also,can I use my camino passport from last year or do I need to get a new one?

Thanks in advance
Audrey

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You can use your credential again. I never found any accommodation so bad that I would avoid it. Conditions can be crowded which has the potential to make any place a bit unpleasant! Your pace is reasonable, but I am not sure there is always a place at the 20km mark. You can average that amount, though. The total distance is about 114km, so typically it takes five to six days. It can be done in four, but that is more work than I put in these days. Buen camino.

Hello Audrey,

On the top of the page on the right is a search engine. You can gain a lot of information from previous threads by typing the subject that you are interested in.

Assuming that you are reasonably fit, there should be no problem walking from Sarria to Santiago in six days. I am in my 70's and managed to do it in 5 days without pushing myself. I believe that the route is not too difficult and very beautiful. You might find a lot of other peregrinos on the trail because it only takes the 100K to get the Certificate. So many come on a bus, walk and get back on the bus to be taken to nice hotels. Walking feels a little different as you get closer to Santiago. I am not judging them or anyone, we all have our own Camino to walk as we see fit.

If there is room on your passport, I guess you could use it. Since it is a new trip I would use a new passport but that is a matter of personal choice. You can always get a blank passport from Ivar, who runs this forum. You will that info on top of the page.

I have not advice for you on the Hostels (Spanish for Hotels) and assume the you might have meant to ask about the albergue's? If so, why not try using the search engine?

I hope that you and your friend have a Buen Camino!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For tips and practical advice scan what others and I have written in these earlier Forum threads regarding the last 100 k and walking from Sarria. During past caminos while slowly walking those last 100k towards Santiago I usually stayed in several small rural albergues which are run by the ACAG, ie the Xunta of Galicia. Slightly off the beaten track or at least not at one of the widely published 'official' halts these are well maintained and generally found in recently renovated structures with original details, good heat and hot showers. At 6€ per bunk (2013 price) they are a GREAT bargain. One favorite is almost hidden at Hospital de la Cruz between Gonzar and Ligonde.

Happy planning and Buen camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
Hi all!
I'm new to this forum...looking forward to lots of camino advice! Last year I walked from Santiago to Finisterre.. Next April I plan on going from Sarria to Santiago.

Just wondering has anyone any advice on this route especially re hostels to avoid!
I'm travelling this time with a friend who's new to the camino. We have a week in total... Hoping to cover 20 kms most days and have a full day to relax n Santiago ... Is this possible? Is it a difficult route? Also,can I use my camino passport from last year or do I need to get a new one?

Thanks in advance
Audrey
You'll be fine in april and 20 km/day is probably a wise decision, gives you time to meet other pilgrims and enjoy your afternoons (and try some of the local wine). The route is mostly rolling hills but nothing too challenging (mud and rain can be an issue at times). It's a fantastic 112 kms, I am sure you'll love it! And if you can, try for two days in Santiago, it's an amazing town.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just returned a few days ago from Sarria to Santiago. From the USA, it took 2 days to get to Sarria and we started walking on the 3rd day. Due to a missed connection it also took us 2 days to get home (it should have taken 1 day). The first time I did the Camino I walked Sarria to Santiago in 4 days; this time I was with someone else and did it in the more typical 5 days.

We spent our first night in Sarria in the Monasterio de la Magdalena. It was a nice kick-off to the walk, and one of the few (only?) monasteries that you can stay in on the route you are taking. It was quiet, and an easy stroll away from the busier center Sarria Centro. The kitchen there has push-button coffee and vending-machine yogurt (and other things) to get your morning started...

Buen Camino!
Nicki

When in April are you walking? In general, April shouldn't be a problem, however Easter is April 5th. If you are walking right at the beginning of the month, it might a little more challenging.

April is Springtime!!! With a bit of luck weather-wise you should be ready for wildflowers blooming everywhere! Hillsides of blue lobelia later yellow brush, wild primavera-protected do not touch, digitalis, wild gladiolas, very small iris/orchids, the fruit trees will be blooming, watch the leaves appear and grow in the vineyards the roses there to attract the bees will flower, in the villages neat arrangements of lilies, pansies, tulips often mixed together, wisteria(!!!). It should be marvelous. On a down note, beware the so-called pilgrims pavilion Os Coyote sorry thats not right Os Chacotes just before Palas de Rei, a huge barn of a place with pilgrims stacked like cordwood in bunks, would rather sleep out in the snow than go there again. Easter? April 5th cold but not to be missed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When in April are you walking? In general, April shouldn't be a problem, however Easter is April 5th. If you are walking right at the beginning of the month, it might a little more challenging.

We r going from 4-11 April. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us :)

Hi,
I am planning to do the Camino from Sarria to Santiago starting November 20/21. Due to the amount of vacation time I am not able to do the whole thing... maybe one day.
What weather I should expect. Do I need more like heavier rain/snow jacket. I am planning to do it in 5-6 days. Should I still expect lot of pilgrims on trail? Anyone wanna join?

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back