• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any advice on the coastal stretch from Tarifa to Línea de la Concepción?

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
Still in early planning, but I do consider the Via Serrana for next year and to actually start in Tarifa.
I would like to stay as close to the coast as possible on that first stretch leading to the Via Serrana's starting point in La Línea. While the first 10 or 15 km seem to be just beautiful walking, I am aware (Google Maps has been my friend) that it gets kind of ugly later when approaching Algeciras. Two rivers will probably prohibit to stay close to the shore between Algeciras and La Línea.
Anyone who actually ever walked in this rather urban and industrial environment? Any tips? Maybe staying close to the sea is a rather dumb idea anyway, but I do not want to make a considerable detour inland as my number of potential walking days will be limited.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Still in early planning, but I do consider the Via Serrana for next year and to actually start in Tarifa.
I would like to stay as close to the coast as possible on that first stretch leading to the Via Serrana's starting point in La Línea. While the first 10 or 15 km seem to be just beautiful walking, I am aware (Google Maps has been my friend) that it gets kind of ugly later when approaching Algeciras. Two rivers will probably prohibit to stay close to the shore between Algeciras and La Línea.
Anyone who actually ever walked in this rather urban and industrial environment? Any tips? Maybe staying close to the sea is a rather dumb idea anyway, but I do not want to make a considerable detour inland as my number of potential walking days will be limited.
Hi Alex,
From Tarifa to Algeciras you're walking on the Camino de Santiago del Estrecho in reverse to its starting point in Algeciras.
After that, forget it. Even the bike paths are of no use for your purpose.
Bus yourself to La Linea, visit Gibraltar if you're interested and then start on the Via Serrana and enjoy.
It's a beautiful camino.
Cheers.

Hi Alex,
From Tarifa to Algeciras you're walking on the Camino de Santiago del Estrecho in reverse to its starting point in Algeciras.
After that, forget it. Even the bike paths are of no use for your purpose.
Bus yourself to La Linea, visit Gibraltar if you're interested and then start on the Via Serrana and enjoy.
It's a beautiful camino.
Cheers.

Thank you! i had the feeling after Algeciras it would get bad ... but I had no idea it would get THAT bad ... Thank you for the warning. In case I will ignore it as I am obsessed with the idea to walk every metre, I have been warned and will expect it to be terrible 🙈

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you! i had the feeling after Algeciras it would get bad ... but I had no idea it would get THAT bad ... Thank you for the warning. In case I will ignore it as I am obsessed with the idea to walk every metre, I have been warned and will expect it to be terrible 🙈
1714603489861.png

I woudn't discount the walk it seems like a fun warm up! would be an awesome start to a camino to shake down your gear and know what you can donate to the way.

That sounds ike a great plan! You are right that the views between Tarifa and Algeciras are stunning. And you get to watch the steady stream of ships heading to the Strait of Gibralter. We loved it.

If you decide you'd like to walk all the way, here are some Wikiloc tracks that might help you. (Open in Chrome for auto-translation of the comments):

For a view of the type of surroundings you'd be walking through, on the Wikiloc maps in the upper right corner Maps drop-down menu, choose Topographic - mapa raster IGN, and zoom in for great detail.

It's possible to stay overnight in El Pelayo, between Tarifa and Algeciras. There is a Youth Hostel there and also a campground with cabins.

Last edited:
That sounds ike a great plan! You are right that the views between Tarifa and Algeciras are stunning. And you get to watch the steady stream of ships heading to the Strait of Gibralter. We loved it.

If you decide you'd like to walk all the way, here are some Wikiloc tracks that might help you. (Open in Chrome for auto-translation of the comments):

[...]
Tank you! Brilliant. This is exactly the kind of information I need :cool:
Now all I need is some luck that I will be able to take off enough time in March 2025 :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back