• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone else heading out in early May, 2014?

KayB49

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances May-June (2014)
Time is growing short before our departure. Culled the backpack one more time today & got it down to 15.5 pounds without water. I'm walking in my sleep, making checklists & going through airport security.:rolleyes: The hubby & I fly out May 2 and plan to begin our Camino Monday, May 5. We're flying into Madrid then on to Bordeaux where we'll spend the night, then catch the train(s) to Bayonne & on to St. Jean. Anyone else planning to start around this time? We're planning to take it slow so if you start after us, you'll probably catch us at some point.

Another question. I'll have several prescription meds that I will be carrying on. Is there anything special I need to do? They'll be in their original labeled bottles to travel, but I'll probably switch them to plastic bags before walking. I've read that a written prescription is needed as well. I'm a bit concerned about the security check-in for our second leg departing Madrid as we have a several hour layer so we're planning to leave the airport for a quick city tour so we'll have to go through security again.

This is such a wonderful forum. I've been reading it for over a year, so I think we're well prepared!

Thanks,
Kay

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Kay-- have you guys considered taking the bus from Barajas Airport (Autobuses Alsa from Terminal 3) to Pamplona and then on to SJPDP (1 hour ride)? it just seems to me a bit convoluted to go from Madrid to Bayonne and then on to SJPDP?? Even taking the train to Pamplona from Chamartin or Atocha seems more straightforward....If you are already spending an overnight then consider getting to Pamplona and staying at Corazon Puro Inn where the owners include the ride to SJPDP early morning in the price. Coming in from Bayonne seems to make more sense for people who drop in from Northern Europe or people who fly into Paris, not so much if you are already in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Time is growing short before our departure. Culled the backpack one more time today & got it down to 15.5 pounds without water. I'm walking in my sleep, making checklists & going through airport security.:rolleyes: The hubby & I fly out May 2 and plan to begin our Camino Monday, May 5. We're flying into Madrid then on to Bordeaux where we'll spend the night, then catch the train(s) to Bayonne & on to St. Jean. Anyone else planning to start around this time? We're planning to take it slow so if you start after us, you'll probably catch us at some point.

Another question. I'll have several prescription meds that I will be carrying on. Is there anything special I need to do? They'll be in their original labeled bottles to travel, but I'll probably switch them to plastic bags before walking. I've read that a written prescription is needed as well. I'm a bit concerned about the security check-in for our second leg departing Madrid as we have a several hour layer so we're planning to leave the airport for a quick city tour so we'll have to go through security again.

This is such a wonderful forum. I've been reading it for over a year, so I think we're well prepared!

Thanks,
Kay
Hello! I´m planning to start my Camino Frances 4 of may from St Jean Pied de Port. Looking forward to meet some nice people on the way, perhaps we meet. I worry about my not so fit body and that I speak no french or spanish.
Buen Camino to you! evamadeleine

I'm so excited, I fly out from Dulles on April 29th, a week from today. I'll be flying to Paris and taking the train down to Bayonne and spending the night there. On May the first, I will be taking the 7:45 AM train to SJPdP and that afternoon walking up to Orisson where I have a reservation for that evening.

I had been trying to break in a new pair of boots over the last month. They weren't very comfortable and this morning I actually started developing a blister (the second one these boots have caused). Took them back to REI and got my money back. Went to another REI (where they will actually help you and not just look bored and bring you another pair to try when you ask for it) and I got a VERY comfortable pair of boots. I'm a little scared to be walking in brand new boots, but not as scared as I would have been with those little instruments of torture that I took back.

Don't worry about not speaking French or Spanish, evamadeleine, I get by fine and can speak neither language . . . . . my friends say that I can barely speak English.

Went to another REI (where they will actually help you and not just look bored and bring you another pair to try when you ask for it) and I got a VERY comfortable pair of boots. I'm a little scared to be walking in brand new boots, but not as scared as I would have been with those little instruments of torture that I took back.
Durham-- I also got my hiking boots at REI and there were new when they stepped on the Camino (May 2011). I do recommend vaseline and that you place band-aids on friction points before they become a problem. Mt foot preparation every morning was a ritual, but it did served me well. I sprayed my feet with a lube film to minimize friction. Then, I place band-aids on the back of the heel and top of the foot (COMPEEDS is a Spanish brand that is the absolute best but quite pricey). Then, I applied vaseline generously on the uncovered areas of my foot, then I wore the socks. Somehow, this translated to zero blisters, so I kept doing it! Buen Camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Olivares, I'll pick up some vaseline and bandaids today and I'll also be near that REI and I'll get some kind of a lube.

Remember that Vaseline/lube should not go on before competed/duct tape/bandaid. It will prevent sticking and likely cause more problems.

I use "BodyGlide" anti- chafe lube from REI. Cyclists often use this product.

Others (falcon) have suggested other products. All have the same function..to prevent friction between skin and sock/shoe.

I don't think using both Vaseline and another lube product would be normal as they have the same function.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm so excited, I fly out from Dulles on April 29th, a week from today. I'll be flying to Paris and taking the train down to Bayonne and spending the night there. On May the first, I will be taking the 7:45 AM train to SJPdP and that afternoon walking up to Orisson where I have a reservation for that evening.

Hi Durham - My husband, Jim, and I are also staying at Orisson on May 1st. Looking forward to getting acquainted. Buen Camino! Sharon.

Hi Durham - My husband, Jim, and I are also staying at Orisson on May 1st. Looking forward to getting acquainted. Buen Camino! Sharon.
Great, see ya'll there. I'll be wearing a wide brim felt hat with a scallop shell sewn to the side of it. (See my avatar.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Patricia - I was hoping you were leaving from St Jean because I lived in Caracas 25 years ago and would love to see a Venozolana after so many years. I'm Laura and starting from St Jean on May 17th with two of my children. I can hardly wait!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Patricia - I was hoping you were leaving from St Jean because I lived in Caracas 25 years ago and would love to see a Venozolana after so many years. I'm Laura and starting from St Jean on May 17th with two of my children. I can hardly wait!

May 6, 2014 leaving for my first camino. I am so excited I can hardly breath. I have reservations for plane , train and automobile as well as first 3 nights lodging. Looking forward to meeting as many of you lovely people as is possible. As they say in Texas, bueno trippo y'all. (Did I say that?!?)

Leaving home tomorrow, starting from SJPP on Thursday!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Petro, me too :). Leaving home tomorrow, SJPP on thursday. See you :)

Jonas, where are you staying in SJPP?

Most read last week in this forum

..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.