• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

April weather & Therma-Rest

islandflygirl

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
Arriving Madrid about the 11th of April, then fly to San Sebastian. Can anyone give me an idea what is best way to get to SJPdP, what temperatures are like at this time of year, do I need to bring my Therma-Rest? Any info is most appreciated.

Maria & John

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I am flying into Bilbao then catching a bus that goes to Irun on the Spain-France border. Irun is close to San Sebastian and I expect the bus will stop there on the way. I'll stop overnight before walking across the border to Hendaye, where I will catch the train for the relatively short journeys to Bayonne and to SJPdP. There may be other routes but this is feasible. I am forced to do it this way because there are no direct trains into France (different rail tracks) and I didn't fancy travellling to Pamplona, only to have to get a taxi to SJPdP. Try http://www.alsa.es/en/ for more information about the buses.
I'm afraid I can't comment on the weather in April and I've never heard of a Therma-Rest.

Buen Camino,
Sheffield James

Additional travel information can be found on another current thread entitled "San sebastian donostia to SJPP"

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Therma-Rests and other sleeping pads are probably the one thing I see MOST of in the DONATION boxes all along the Camino. You do not need one. If you take it, you'll end up dumping it most likely because it will cost more to send it home than to replace it.

I'd just leave it.

I have heard of a therma-rest and there really isn't a need for one on the Camino! All of the albergues have mattresses. I left mine at home and never missed it.
buen camino

Hi Sheffield James,

You can actually take a bus right from the airport to San Sebastián and then take the Topo to Irún - or Hendaye.
The bus from the airport costs 15,70€, and they leave every hour to San Sebastián. There is a short walk to go to the Topo and Euskotren station. They have trains to Irún every 30 minutes.

Here is the link for the Topo - you do have to enter in Municipio Origen: DONOSTIA-SAN SEBASTIÁN, and in Municipio Destino: IRÚN
http://www.euskotren.es/es/horarios
If the link takes to a page that says it has moved, then go here and click on Topo Euskotren Lasarte-Donostia-Hendaia
http://www.enterat.com/servicios/horari ... astian.php
Hopefully this will be useful.

Ultreia!

Mary

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thank you all for the quick response, I will leave it home and will urge my travel partner to do the same. Mine will go back to REI as it is brand new, save some money too. I look forward to any weather info as it gets closer to my departure.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
April weather! It could be anything and all things! I left SJPDP very near to the time you are planning - on April 12 2011. In a month of walking I only needed my wet weather gear on 3 or 4 days, and only for a part of those days. We had lovely Spring weather for most of the time.

A Dutch pilgrim I met along the way returned to the Frances in 2012 and, again, he left on April 12. He had a month of rain, wind, sleet and some snow! Two very different April caminos. He said it was no less an incredible experience, and the inclement weather heightened the sense of camaraderie amongst the pilgrims.

He plans to walk the VldP this year (in April, of course!).

So.....be prepared for wet weather and, if it doesn't find you, count your blessings! And if it does, enjoy!

buen camino

There have been several locals of the "english" language persausion posting warning about our current weather. I live in Biarritz and Navarricano lives in Pamplona. This has been the wettest winter ever in Basqueland and therefore be ready to encounter mud on the Camino. The winter seemingly will not let up, local ski reports show 90% of the pistes still open for business; there are days of strong winds, hail and snow. Easter Sunday is the first decent day in weeks with sunny skies and moderate temperatures in Biarritz but the forecast is for more rain all week long. Be prepared to change your plans and take a bus onward to avoid the inclimate conditions. Getting to Biarritz from San Sebastian is simple you can do it by bus or train, buses run less often from a semi-remote location and trains require a change at the border in Irun: you can get directly to Bayonne by both conveyances. The train to SJPP from Bayonne is regular and efficient. Bon Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Mary,
your information seems great to me and I'll be checking out those links first thing in the morning.

muchas gracias y buenas noches,

Sheffield James

James

When you get to Bilbao keep an eye out for other pilgrims who may have already ordered a taxi from the airport to SJPP. If they have space you might find your part share is worth avoiding the hassle of going via train and bus. It is 2 1/2 hours direct by taxi.

Check these two links. I posted an email to Caroline and got a lift for 73€. With no overnight accomodation/train/bus fares to pay it is worthwhile.

Of course you do miss the terrific train ride from Bayonne to SJPP but the lack of hassle makes it worthwhile IMHO.

http://www.espritduchemin.org/en/node/191

EXPRESS BOURRICOT
transport bagages, pèlerins, séjours culturels

Aphessetche Caroline
Maison Jauberriko Borda
Quartier Mitxadoy
64220 Ispoure
France

Tel: (+33) (0)6 61 96 04 76
Email: apcaroline@hotmail.com

From San Sebastian you can take the Euskotren from SS to Hendaye in France. It costs €1.70 and takes 40 minutes. Then you take a local train from Hendaye to Bayonne and then finally the commuter train from Bayonne to SJPP.

RE Therma-rest. I walked the Camino Frances in July 2001 and I used my Therma-Rest many times since there were so many people the beds were full and I ended up sleeping on the floor many times. It was cold there on the floor and the Therma-Rest really helped. In April you may not find so many people walking so it may be easier to get a bed. In the summer I would NEVER walk without a Therma-Rest.

Have fun.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sleeping pads have R values which indicate how well it will insulate the earth from the warming influence of your body. The higher the R value the better.

An R value of 1 is sufficient to sleep on bare ground at temperatures above freezing.

Thermarest R values are all higher than 1.

A warmer more expensive option are exped down mats. You can get expeds with R values of up to 8.0 suitable for sleeping on ice in winter arctic conditions. They are lighter than thermarest and way more comfortable but they cost about twice as much as thermarest.

Another alternative are blue ensolite foam sleeping pads. The R value is usually around 1. They are less comfortable than thermarest. The main advantage is the closed cell foam pads are much lighter to carry even if they are bulkier. They are MUCH cheaper than thermarests (around $20) and so easier to throw away when the time comes to lighten the load.

Most nights you will likely be sleeping indoors in a bed. The only time you might need a sleeping pad is if the albergues are full.

I saw a lot of people carrying a foamy but I never saw anyone use it.

I walked the Camino Frances in July 2001 and I used my Therma-Rest many times
That is the busiest time of the year. April-May will be much less busy. Carry a mat if it gives you comfort. I picked up an expensive Thermarest that was abandoned by its owner in the Valcarce river valley. I was quite fit, and fifteen pounds lighter, by the time I got there. I use it for local camping now, and remain grateful to the pilgrim who carried it hundreds of kilometers before reducing the weight of his pack by putting it into the donation box. :twisted:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone. My name is Nika. I plan to take my backpack, and go on Camino in the end of the next week. I still don’t know how will I get from Kyiv to France. And what city should I come to… I...
I found I couldn't make any reservation in SJPP in the coming days. They are fully booked. I can't find even a single bed. What should I do? Is there anybody has a same situation?
Roncesvalles or push to Burguete? I prefer to avoid the recommended stages to avoid the race for albergues. Do you suggest Burguete? Is Roncesvalles too busy?
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
Hi there, I am Nicole. I will start my trip from Villar de Mazarife on 20th May 2024, ends in Ponferrada. It will be my first time ever to hike on camino and I will be hiking alone. I have planned...
Hi all, just a quickie, My friend is near Leon and has fallen into the booking . Com panic as he doesn't want to risk not getting a bed. The word on the street is that beds are few and far...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back