Are bed bugs here to stay?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

t2andreo

Veteran Member
Apr 6, 2013
Northern Virginia
Time of past OR future Camino
2013 - 2018 , Pilgrim Office volunteer 2014 - 2022
My question, if faced with endemic bed bugs in an established residential context, as described in the article (see above link) would be, do they have any predators whose presence would be more acceptable in a home, e.g. lady bugs, small gecko lizards, etc.

Most every pest has an effective and more desirable predator that might be introduced to maintain a balance.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Jan 18, 2015
Too many and too often!
Most every pest has an effective and more desirable predator that might be introduced to maintain a balance.

Sorry @t2andreo but your suggestion of using biological control instantly brought to mind this passage from the late great Sir Terry Pratchett's Making Money :) :)

Attachments

• making-money.jpg
    making-money.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 82
A selection of Camino Jewellery

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Jul 18, 2014
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
I´ll take a house-mongoose over a bedbug any day!
Haha...one more being for the Peaceable ark.
Only thing is that mongooses eat cobras and not bedbugs. :D
Unless, maybe...well, what size of bedbugs are you thinking of?
I wouldn't want to even see a bedbug big enough to interest a mongoose, let alone sleep with it. o_O

elizason

Jul 8, 2015
Lisbon- Santiago Sept-Oct 2015
Frances-Muxia 2021
I once had a very serious takeover from fleas they are no joking matter.
They just loved to bite me. I used modern methods which worked for about a month then the fleas which also are able to lay dormant for extended lengths of time awoke ! the nightmare began.
My neighbor told me to get Borax Mule Team Detergent and spread on all fabric/stuffed material tops such as sofas, carpets beds etc
It was a bit of a mess initially but this worked they were smothered !
I got rid of carpet and to this day only use area rugs. Best wishes in the battle

Kent Davis

Mar 31, 2016
Completed CF in Oct 2016
Bed Bugs are an epidemic, they are here to stay because the preventative and exterminating measures are not fully sufficient. Exterminating is done by either heat or chemicals for the most part and the bugs tend to be capable in cases of avoiding these solutions and they lay so many eggs so rapidly that if you are not 100% successful, it is hard to make progress. Interestingly, there is no predator I am aware of that would help the situation but beagles (dogs) are used to identify the bugs - this is the highest level of technology.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

JohnCP43

Mar 6, 2015
North Carolina
Camino frances 2013; Camino portugues 2015; Via francigena 2016
Re concept of introducing natural predators - an intriguing concept but the results of introducing non-native species of plants, fish, birds, other animals for a variety of well intentioned purposes has generally not been successful and in some cases has been an ecological disaster. Now as an alternative, the introduction of sterile animals into the breeding pool has shown promise in some instances. I suspect however the surgery to neuter a bedbug, even a large one would be tricky and well beyond my skills as a retired Pediatrician.:)

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Oct 15, 2012
Santiago de Compostela
egeria.house
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
Yes, they are here to stay, actually they come back again and no, apart of a rather ugly looking spider there are very few effective bed bug predators around - sadly. Buen Camino sin chinches, SY

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

onwayhome

Mar 2, 2016
Frances Ponferrada-Santiago,(c1986)
Frances SJPP-Santiago (2011)
Portuguese Porto- Finisterre (2016)
St Michaels Way (2016)
Discovering there is a Masked Bed Bug Hunter has made my day. And no I didn't just make it up.
Unfortunately they do bite people if there aren't enough bed bugs to go round -but it would at least make a change for pilgrims.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
Bed bugs are part of Camino life, we just have to accept that. :oops:
Yes, I agree with you. BUT, we need to be careful not to be complacent and let things get worse. The people who insist there are no (or few) bedbugs can add to the problem. I recommend some basic measures for everyone, such as putting packs into airtight bags at albergues, with thorough heat treatment after any encounter and always upon leaving the camino. Heat treatment is very effective and safe.

That article did not say that bed bugs cannot be eradicated from a residence. It says that it is getting more difficult, and many residents in poor affected neighbourhoods have given up on doing so, instead accepting that they must "live with them." That probably means that they don't have the time and resources to be successful and maybe that they are not allergic to them.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
Can anyone recommend a bag that is big enough for a 45L backpack?
Search for "pack liners." For example, this one (expensive, but likely you can find a less expensive one). Alternatively, you can use a plastic garbage bag although it won't be as durable, and if it has holes, it won't serve the purpose!

FamPed

Pilgrim
Oct 15, 2016
Sweden
There are many different Pilgrim Routes and Caminos in life.
Thanks @C clearly . I though it was liners you ment, just wasn't sure. Do you just use it right before it gets dark and over night? Or do you use it the hole time in the albergue? (I have never encounted bedbugs in my life, but they are getting more common here in Sweden to.)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Pilgrim9

Nov 27, 2017
SJPdP-SdC (2017)
SdC-Muxia-Fisterra-SdC (2017)
Lisboa-SdC (2018)
Ferrol-SdC (2018)
Businesses that sell shipping and packaging supplies are a possible source of large clear polyethylene bags. Try Googling “plastic bags [name of your city]”. I do not recommend use of opaque bags such as garbage bags, due to the very real risk that your bagged pack might be mistaken for garbage and be discarded in your absence.

Reactions: C clearly

Most read last week in this forum

As I walked to Calzadilla de la Cueza today (long straight road), probably prompted by noisy torch-bearing pilgrims who got up at 4:20am (5 o’clock is bad enough, but seriously? We couldn’t leave...
I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM...
I found this interesting, and thought others might too...
Hi Guys. I plan to walk the Camino (811km) next spring. I need suggestions from pilgrims who have walked and are still walking the Camino this April. How was the weather? Did you have too many...
I'm at the airport, suddenly being nostalgic. If you had to choose one sello as your most valuable, why would it be that one? Could be a religious or spiritual experience, the people you met...
Just after 9am this morning I turned the last corner of the Camino Frances and stood in front of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela!! It's been 33 days since I left Saint Jean Pied de Port...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.