Search 69,459 Camino Questions

are gloves needed ? leaving SJPP in 2 weeks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thengel1

Jun 15, 2012
Time of past OR future Camino
CF April-May 2013; mid-Sept. 2017
Things are still pretty warm in Spain in September. Unless you have circulation problems, your hands are likely to be fine.

Having said that, by the time you reach Galicia, the rains may have returned, at which point a pair of light gloves might not be a terrible thing to have. Just understand that for the vast majority of your Camino you will likely be asking yourself why you are dragging them across Spain.

Reactions: SYates

momof34man

Oct 31, 2014
California
2016 Camino Frances, 2018 Cotswolds
Gloves.....if you are using trekking poles, the fingerless gloves help prevent some of the damage the sun can do to your hands. If you have no poles...I wouldn't worry about bringing them. I didn't use fingerless gloves and had the dreaded camino hand tan when I returned home. (A fully visable strap line too.)

Reactions: Davey Boyd
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Linda Fantillo

RiverWalker
Nov 10, 2013
Campbell River B.C.
September/October 14, May 17, September 18,
May22
Hi Tedd. We walked 6th of Sept. to Oct. 8th. Definitely did not need them through September, but in that first week of October when just setting out in the morning, was really glad I had them, my lightweight tuque also. Of course you could always use socks on your hands and if you have a buff for your head, that would work too. I just took a pair of stretchy dollar store gloves and had them tucked in the bottom of the side pocket. Happy planning and Buen Camino to you. Linda

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
In a pinch or a sudden cold snap you can always wear socks on your hands to keep warm. Similarly in sudden snow plastic bags with rubber bands can serve as emergency gaiters.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:

Priscilla NC

Sep 15, 2015
Erie PA
2016: Frances - Finisterre - Muxia 2019: Frances
I think a lot depends on how your hands tolerate cold. As I age, I have noticed that my hands get cold easier. But I know quite a few young folks who also experience cold hands frequently.

I walked from April 22 to June 5. I had light gloves and wore them in the early moring pretty much daily from the start until probably mid-May. This is FYI.

If you don't have cold hands, you could get away with not bringing them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

backpack45

Aug 10, 2012
Oakland, CA
www.backpack45.com
VezelayPrimitivoNorteGenevaLePuyArlesPortoFrancés
are gloves a good idea to add to my list?
I don't think you would need gloves for warmth this time of year. There have been times when I was walking in hot conditions that I wore lightweight cotton gardening gloves to protect my hands from the sun. They are so inexpensive that you wouldn't be concerned about throwing them away after finishing the arid sections if you decided they weren't necessary.

Jim Kavanagh

Jul 9, 2015
Frances 2010 Portugues 2015 De LaPlata 2015
I have walked in April/May and September/October and used to start walking about 6.30 am each day to avoid the hot sun. At that time it was very cold for a few hours and I congratulated myself on having brought a pair of light gloves to keep my hands warm.

Reija

Apr 27, 2016
Finland/Germany
(Le Puy Route 2024)
The mornings can be cold even now in August. Every morning I set out in just shorts and a t-shirt. After 20 first minutes I'm not cold and enjoy the coolness but yes, I have missed having gloves! It's not a comfortable feeling not to be able to move your fingers because they are so cold. My teenage daughter doesn't have this problem. So the final answer might have a lot to do with your age and circulation.

Reactions: Doodle99
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

camino-david

RIP 2020
Apr 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Caminos Frances (x4), Finisterre, Aragon, Via de la Plata, Portuguese 2011 -2015. Hospitalero 2015
Early mornings in Galacia in the last two weeks of October can be cold with frost on the ground until about 10am. Although I am a weight fanatic, I always take gloves, but I have not walked in July and August. I have encountered snow in May and again in late October at O'Cebreiro with a snow storm in my face all the way down to Triacastela.

Shalaw

Jul 29, 2014
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2015
Portuguese is next!
I took gloves when I walked last year, from Sept. 6 to Oct. 7th and was very glad I packed them. I also took a merino wool cap. Some mornings it was 3 - 4 degrees out, so it was cold enough to warrant wearing both of them until it warmed up.

Reactions: Loretta Jane

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Hi, I'm off to CDN tomorrow but this is in my mind. I got the baggage transfer from from Correos and I will going to walk from Irun to Llanes this time, so my plan is to carry a 22lts day pack and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.